Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 26th 08, 05:30 AM posted to aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.info

Default WIANEWS for week commencing Dec 28 2008

DEC 28 EDITION ATTACHED

SB WIANEWS @ WW $QNEWS081228
WIANEWS - Dec 28 - VK NATIONAL NEWS

ALWAYS ENSURE ORIGINAL BID # AND TITLE ARE USED.
Packet uploads with thanks to vk7ax Tony

THE BEST NEWS YOU'LL GET ALL WEEK

Oh... and to contact us with your news because
If It Matters To You It Matters To Us!

email

Please.. write your story as you would expect to hear it being read back
do NOT send us links gifs jpegs pdf's or url's!!

This is WIANEWS for week commencing Dec 28 2008

VK1WIA News Service Schedule

Please note that there will be VK1WIA bulletins as usual over the
New Year period.

HOWEVER anyone with news of events taking place between now and 11 January
should send it to
as soon as possible.

If your local RF rebroadcaster is taking a break, you will be able to pick
up the news on a myriad of stations, just check the web site wia.org.au
for where and when or even download the mp3 also from wia.org.au

WEST AUSTRALIA AND SKA

The WA State Government is stepping up its fight to make sure the $2.5
billion dollar international, revolutionary Square Kilometre Array
radio-astronomy project has its home in Australia.

WA's Murchison region is in a race against southern Africa to be chosen as
the base for the project which would feature a next-generation radio
telescope 50 to 100 times more sensitive than present day instruments.

Developed by scientists from 19 countries with construction set to start in
2012, the project will be globally linked and will have 10,000 times the
capacity of current radio telescopes to make discoveries.

Science and Innovation Minister Troy Buswell announced the Government will
spend $4 million to purchase the Boolardy Station, 300km north-east of
Geraldton to house the facility.

The Office of Native Title will lead negotiations with traditional land

owners to acquire the station.

UWA professor Peter Quinn has been selected as centre director, together with
Curtin radio astronomers professors Steven Tingay and Peter Hall and UWA
professor Lister Staveley-Smith being appointed deputy directors.

Professor Peter Quinn said Africa was certainly running the race with
Australia to secure the project, and the most cost effective plan would win
the country the right to the SKA venture.

He said if Australia won the bid, WA would benefit from challenges to
technology where by 2025 the centre would be home to the largest,
most comprehensive computer system in the world.

A new resource has been created for all amateur radio clubs in Australia;
The Australian Amateur Radio News & Information Exchange (AARNIE).

AARNIE is a newsgroup for Australian Amateur Radio Clubs to post their club
newsletters and events. Often club newsletters are distributed only to club
members. AARNIE offers the ability to extend the reach of YOUR club to many
more people, including those that may be interested in Amateur Radio but do
not yet have a licence.

Some of the benefits of using AARNIE a

Open to all Australian Amateur Radio Clubs and interested people
(only clubs can post)

A cheap efficient way of getting your newsletter out to hundreds of Radio
Amateurs and other interested people instantly.

Promote your club activities; HamFests, tech nights, courses and assessments
to a wider audience than what you might normally achieve.

No email list to maintain.

No bounced messages to clog your in-box.

Less chance of YOUR personal email address blacklisted by a SPAM cop service.

Entice travellers to visit you club when passing through.

A monitored list allowing only PDF file attachments to pass.

To have a look at AARNIE, and what it has to offer, visit the newsgroup home
page at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aarnie/ or go to Yahoo Groups and type
A-A-R-N-I-E into the news groups search page

And although there now is AARNIE please remember clubs that the major way of
advising what goes on in your club area is through the free WIA event
calendar on wia.org.au

SYDNEY - HOBART RACE FREQUENCIES

VHF radio emergency & urgent call channel 16
Backup Emergency & general call channel 67
Working & call channels (ship to ship) Ch 72,77
Working & call channel (ship to shore) Ch 73
Fishing only working & call channel 71

BOM Weather forecasts Ch67 (Times vary)

VHF Repeaters Ch 21, 22, 80, 81, 82

HF radio Emergency frequency & call 2182 kHz
Backup Emergency frequencies 4125, 6215, 8291, 12290, 16420
Working & call frequency (ship to ship) 2284
Working & call frequencies (ship to shore) 2524, 2008, 2032, 2436
Fishing only working & call frequencies 2112, 2164, 4535, 4620

BOM Weather forecasts 2201N, 4426D, 6507N, 8176DN, 12365DN, 16546D
(3mins before half hour, DÚy 7am-6pm, N=Night 6pm-7am)

Stand by, we're about to have a longer year

Time-keepers are set to extended slightly the year 2008, by the insertion of
a leap second at the end of the 31st of December.

The International Earth Rotation and Reference Systems Service, which is
responsible for monitoring the relationship between the atomic clock-based
UTC and the rate of Earth's rotation, has declared that the last minute of
this year will have 61 seconds.

Leap seconds are added either at the end of a June or December and this one
the 24th since they began in 1972.

To monitor the insertion of the leap second, tune into the time and frequency
broadcast of WWV or watch a Global Positioning System clock, just prior and
during zero hours UTC on the 1st of January. .

May I wish all listeners and the VK1WIA News broadcast team a Very Happy New
Year - I'm Jim Linton VK3PC.

This is Michael Owen VK3KI, WIA President.

First, let me remind you that the WIA office is now closed, and tell you that
it will reopen on Monday 19 January.

During that time, no books from the bookshop will be dispatched. We will be
checking the answering machine and emails after 5 January, and so if you have
an urgent matter, we will attend to it after that. If it is really urgent,
I suggest an email to

In the VK1WIA Christmas broadcast I paid tribute to the many people who
contribute to the WIA.

Now, in this last broadcast of 2008, let me look back on the year just
passed.

In a number of ways the year has been dominated by ACMA, and more
particularly for the directors, the negotiation of the contract following
ACMA's choice of the WIA to provide Exam, certificate of proficiency and
associated administrative services.

Arising from that, the WIA conducted a successful ballot on behalf of ACMA
for two letter callsigns, following a period to allow amateurs who had lost
their two letter callsigns to show exceptional circumstances to recover them.

At the end of January ACMA made the last of the changes to the Amateur LCD
outlined in the Outcomes of the Review of Amateur Regulation, published some
4 years earlier. These changes were significant, particularly facilitating
connection to the Internet and clarifying a number of other matters. At the
same time, ACMA created a new Class Licence that allowed all visiting
amateurs to operate in Australia for up to 90 days. Shortly after that,
Australia became a party to the CEPT arrangements, so Australian amateurs can
operate in over 30 countries on the basis of their Australian licence.
I know many visitors to Australia, and many Australian visiting have really
appreciated these privileges.

I had hoped to tell you in this broadcast that all the arrangements for the
future between ACMA and the WIA had been finalised, but I am afraid that once
again we face a delay, and that will be for a future broadcast, I hope very
early in the New Year.

A real highlight of the year was the activities associated with the WIA AGM,
held this time in Broken Hill.

Another highlight of the year, at least for some of us, was the move of the
WIA to new premises in Bayswater, where for the first time we have the space
we need to store the many things we need to store.

Once again, our membership continues to grow steadily, but at what I think is
at far too slow a rate, around 200 a year.

The WIA Exam Service has continued to qualify new amateurs, now with a
significant number up grading.

In two recent Amateur Radio magazines I have pointed to the change in the
exam trends, making the point that we now have to promote amateur radio to
attract new amateurs. I have seen that as a task for all of us, and I hope
that we will see some new initiatives from a number of clubs in the early
part of next year.

When I started to think about this broadcast, I rather felt that not very
much had happened in the year. But that was not right. 2008 has been a busy
year, and I think a very productive year.

May I wish each of you a happy and healthy 2009.

HAMS ACROSS AUSTRALIA.

VK2
web service:-
http://www.arnsw.org.au/html/news_vk2wi.htm
VKG Roundup http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news

From today and also on the 4 th and 11 January VK2WI News will only be

broadcast in the morning at 10 am in the summer format.

On these three weeks in the vk2wi local segment there will be a guest
appearance by Ian VK2ZIO from The Kurrajong Radio Museum who will be
talking about some of the exhibits in the Museum.

The evening transmission from VK2WI resumes on the 18 th January.

VK4
web service local news:- www.wiaq.com/qnews/upload/qnewsbcast.htm
local news email
VKR Roundup
http://www.police.qld.gov.au/News+an...edia+Releases/

News from North Queensland

TARC Xmas Lights Tour Report

Where were you when the lights went on ?

55 Radio Amateurs and Support Crew were amongst the lights on
Friday evening December 19th during the famous TARC
Christmas Lights Tour which spanned the best polychromatic
displays of seasonal wonders in Townsville.

All this after recovering from the Sunday prior when Townsville (TARC) had
its 2008 Christmas Party with around 70 bods attending and being well
entertained with the antics of the famous Monster Auction,
where auctioneer Roger VK4CD was fairly successful in extracting
funds from hams for such diverse treasure as laptop computers, radio
equipment, antennae, the occasional robotic vacuum cleaner and
racks of very nice microwave link gear from a nearby friendly TV station.

Reports in from around the ridges indicate that a lot of the Monster
Treasure has been made workable whilst those items that fail
to bounce back to life are sure to go around to next year .
Congratulations to everyone involved in running and participating
in the party for making the event yet another success !

VK6
web service http://www.vk6.net/newswest-index.html

The Australian Communications and Media Authority has issued a community
television trial licence for Perth.

The successful applicant, West TV Ltd, will provide an analogue television
service, to be known as New Vision 31.

New Vision 31 expects to commence broadcasting within the next six months
and the trial is for a period of two years.

The full release can be viewed at
www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_311579

EDUCATION YOUTH AND ADVANCEMENT OF AMATEUR RADIO
www.hamcollege.com.au

If there is sufficient interest say 3 or 4, CRARC would arrange assessments
for Standard & Advanced theory, regulations and practical to be held in the
second half of January.
If you are interested contact the education officer Alan Hawes VK1WX
.
next Foundation Licence course is scheduled for 14/15th march 2009

Liverpool & Districts ARC and Fishers Ghost ARC will run a Foundation Licence
Course on 17 and 18 January with standard Licence assessments also be made
on Sunday 18th.

Details are available from tel: 46 26 8423

Ham College is proud to announce that their Information Beacon, VK6RIB,is
set to go!

The information beacon is a Ham College project, comprising a PC and a
transmitter, playing a number of audio files on an hourly loop, twenty-four
hours a day, seven days a week. The beacon computer is connected to the
Internet to allow for remote uploads of new or changed content.

VK6RIB is Ham College's Christmas present to the Perth amateur radio
community.

The beacon will provide the weekly news bulletins, Ham College course
and examination information, a section for each of the radio clubs in Perth,
and other items relevant to amateur radio.

The beacon will be transmitting from the Perth Hills on 145.575 MHz at 5W.
For information on where to send signal reports, please listen to the beacon
or check the Ham College website at
www.hamcollege.com.au

US children are invited to get 'radio active' with hams

A ham radio on-the-air operating event for children will be held on Sunday,
Jan. 4.

a us club member Barry Cohen said, "Kids Day is intended to encourage young
people -- licensed or not -- to enjoy amateur radio.

It gives youngsters on-the-air experience so they may develop an interest in
electronic technology and in pursuing a ham radio license in the future.

It's also intended to give hams a chance to share their stations with their
children. Even though the kids get a kick out of exchanging their names,
towns and favourite colours with others, they also get a serious lesson in
U.S. geography."

Kids Day isn't really a contest, Mr. Cohen said, but records of all contacts
are kept. All participants receive a colourful certificate proving that they
did make an actual contact.

This event occurs twice a year, in January and June.

INTERNATIONAL NEWS With thanks to RSGB, Southgate AR Club, the ARRL,
Amateur Radio Newsline, NZART and the WW sources of the WIA. I'm VK5MM Rob.

SWITZERLAND ALLOCATES 6 METERS TO HAM RADIO ON JANUARY 1

Some good news for hams in Switzerland. Swiss telecommunications
authorities will allocate the 50 MHz band to amateur radio on a secondary
basis beginning January 1, 2009.

Swiss and foreign CEPT class licensees will be permitted to transmit with
up to 100 watts PEP on 50 to 52 MHz without any antenna restrictions. The
one caveat is that primary users may not be disturbed. This includes some
TV stations active on the VHF band I in Northern Italy.

RSGB NEWS FROM G4NJH

Astronaut meeting in Parliament

On Tuesday 16th December GB4FUN co-ordinator Carlos Eavis, G0AKI,
attended a very special reception at the Houses of Parliament
dedicated to the magic of space.

The occasion was to mark the success Richard Garriott's trip to
the International Space Station and all the educational science
projects he carried out while aboard. Richard, who holds the
callsign W5KWQ, spent a lot of time on amateur radio activities in
space, including a planned contact with Budbrooke School in
Warwickshire. Many of the pupils involved also attended the
reception and one young boy, Matthew Morgan, gave a very moving
speech about his experiences.

Also at the reception was Richard's astronaut father Owen
Garriott, W5LFL, the first man to operate amateur radio from
space. A fuller report will appear in the February RadCom.

NEWS FROM ARNEWSLINE

$1500 FINE FOR JAMMING A SCHOOL BUS

The FCC has affirmed a $1500 Forfeiture for wilful and repeated operation
of an unlicensed transmitter and interference with licensed radio
communications in Georgia.

Amateur Radio Newsline's Bruce Tennant, K6PZW, says it all revolves around a
business contract that was lost:

school bus radio operations coming from Dalton Communications, Inc., agents
from the Commission's Atlanta Office of the Enforcement Bureau monitored
the frequency 157.5675 MHz in Dalton. They observed repeated radio
transmissions directly on top of school bus communications, often
disrupting the school bus radio transmissions. Using a mobile direction

finding vehicle, identified the location of the interfering radio
transmissions as the office and radio shop of a company called Tri-County
Communications.

The agents conducted an inspection of radio equipment at Tri-County
Communications and interviewed Dale Lloyd Allred who they identified as its
chief executive officer. Allred admitted that he had intentionally
operated a radio transmitter on 157.5675 MHz to cause the interference that
day and on other days as well as at other times. Allred told the agents
that he was interfering with Dalton Communications' transmissions, because
Dalton Communications had taken the school bus communications contract away
from his company.

On October 16, 2008, the Atlanta City Office issued a Notice of Apparent
Liability for Forfeiture to Allred in the amount of seventeen thousand
dollars. Allred submitted a response to the requesting cancellation or

reduction of the proposed forfeiture and at that time changed his
story. He denied that his operation was intentional or that he maliciously
caused interference to the school bus communications. Instead he claimed
that his equipment was mounted incorrectly in his service vehicle which

caused the Push to Talk button to activate when it hit another radio. He
also stated that he was intimidated by the police officer who accompanied
the agents during the interview and that he would have admitted to anything
at the time. He also claimed that a $17,000 fine would produce a financial
hardship and provided documentation to back up his claim.

The FCC did not buy his explanation as to how the repeated jamming took

place. It noted that Allred does not dispute that transmissions on
157.5675 MHz were sent from his handheld transceiver and sent on more than
one day. It says that even assuming that the transmissions were not
wilful, that he admitted that his operation was repeated. The FCC noted
that it need not find his violation of Section 301 of the Act to be wilful
to assess a forfeiture.

As to the hardship claim? That the FCC did accept. After reviewing the
financial documentation that Allred provided, it conclude that a reduction
of the forfeiture to $1,500 would be appropriate. It then notified him that
he was being assessed that amount.

For the Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Bruce Tennant, K6PZW, in Los Angeles.

BROADCAST FUN: WKRP IS ON THE AIR - FOR REAL

WKRP is back on the air in Cincinnati, but this time as a TV station.

Several industry news reports say that a low-power TV station has
changed its call letters to WKRP. Those are the same call letters used in
the 1970's hit series "WKRP in Cincinnati."

Until recently the station went by the call WBQC television. But changed
its call letters to promote its new digital TV signal. General Manager

Elliott Block says the new call letters give the station recognition
because so many people remember the television sit-com.

The station says that its getting a lot of calls, e-mails and letters
asking how people can see this 21st century WKRP. According to its website
-- www dot wkrp dot com, that's only possible if you live within 15 to 20
miles of downtown Cincinnati. It also says for optimum reception an
outdoor antenna is recommended. (Broadcasting OnLine)

OPERATIONAL NEWS -

ON AIR CONTEST AND EVENT COLUMN - D A T E L I N E

2009

JAN 1 ROSS HULL Contest starts

Jan 10 - 11 Hunting Lions in the air.

JAN 17 - 18 Summer VHF Field Day

FEB 28 - Mar 1 JOCK WHITE MEMORIAL FIELD DAY

Running till Dec 31 2009 is the 4th CQ DX Marathon

SPECIAL EVENTS, BEACON DX AND NET ADVICE
hf nets ON the net, www.timroberts-vk4yeh.id.au/

9M1CS* 18 Scouting stations (* Apart from 9M1CSS in 9M6 all
others are 9M2 stations.
QSL via 9m2 bureau) Until Dec 31

C 4 EURO E-Day, 1st of January currency changes to Euro. Until Dec 31

ON 55 INR marks start of TV broadcasting from Brussels Until Dec 31

PY 100 JA Centenary of first Japanese immigration to Brazil. Until Dec 31

VI 90 BV Waverley Amateur Radio Society 90th Birthday JAN 1-DEC 31 2009

DENMARK, OZ. In celebration of the 350th anniversary of the Treaty
of Roskilde, special event station OZ1658ROS is active until the end
of 2009. QSL via OZ9EDR.

SWEDEN, SM. In celebration of the 350th anniversary of the Treaty
of Roskilde, special event stations SH1658DK, SH1658OZ, SC1658OZ,
SK1658OZ, SK1658DK and SB1658OZ are active until the end of 2009.
QSL via operators' instructions.

ITALY, I. Special event station II2IGTO is now QRV from the submarine
''Toti'' on display at the Museum for Science and Technology in
Milano. The station will also be active in the International Naval
Contest. QSL via IQ2MI.

CELEBRATING THE LIFE OF LOUIS BRAILLE

On the air, listen out for GM3WUX will be operating GB2HLB,
through till January 22nd.

This, to celebrate the bicentenary of the birth of inventor Louis Braille
whose tactile language for the sightless has been adapted world-wide.

In dedication to the Braille bicentenary each QSO made by GB2HLB will
receive a special QSL card depicting Braille and raising awareness of
the United Kingdom's Royal National Institute of Blind People. A
fund raising web page for the group can be found at
www.justgiving.com/louisbraille

INTRUDER WATCH - ENFORCEMENT ZONE

Region III IARUMS Coordinator B.L.Manohar (Arasu) VU2UR

IARU Monitoring System International Coordinator:-
Robert E. Knowles, ZL1BAD.

Len Martinson, ZL1BYA, is Monitoring Service co-ordinator for the NZART.

VK National Coordinator = Karl Hennig VK6XW

VK IARUMS reflector email to subscribe

VK Coordinators for I.A.R.U.M.S.
VK3TZE Jimmy

VK5EV John
VK7BBW Paul

IARUMS NETS
Friday 0730 UTC 7.065.5 with VK4CEU David.

Amateur exclusive frequencies where any non-amateur signal is definitely an
intruder.

Exclusive amateur only spectrum world wide
7.050 to 7.100
14.000 to 14.250
14.250 to 14.350 No broadcasters
21.000 to 21.450
24.890 to 24.990
28.000 to 29.700

There has been a pirate station using the call VP2V/G6AY on CW on 20mover
the last few weeks. VP2V/G6AY was the special call of February 2006
DX-pedition to British Virgin Islands and has not been activated since.
Neither are there any current plans to re-activate the call. All QSL
requests received by the ops todate have been returned with an explanatory
note.

AO-51 INTERFERENCE PROBLEMS STILL NOT SOLVED.

AO-51 Team had swapped the in and out of the bird to try and find the
source of pirate and interference problems.

As a result of the QRM investigation they said, "Not all problems are
related to cordless phones. We heard whistlers, blowing in mikes, and folk
giving extended CQs. They are working on finding the general location of
the cordless phones, but it takes time. Then the work comes at shutting
them down.

The AO-51 Operations Team provided results of their QRM investigation on
and around the 145.920 uplink. There may be some low level modulation on
some of the signals in the captured waterfall diagram. It is believed they
may be from some of the same long distance phones that were plaguing AO-27
and SO-50 a few years ago.

Observations indicate the interfering signals are lost about the time the
edge of the footprint crosses the mid Atlantic states.

Refer to this page:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...FO-29QRM-1.jpg

(SouthGate/Drew, KO4MA)

THE QNEWS WORK BENCH - the nuts and volts report -
(Measure twice - Cut once!)

An Australian technology that provides ground-based GPS like coverage
recently received $21.6 million in equity investment from Khaleeji
Commercial Bank in Bahrain.

The technology, called Locata from a Canberra-based company of the same
name, is a network of transceivers and receivers that improves the coverage
of existing GPS satellites.

RAY VK6PW says he understands at least one of the companies Canberra
identities is a licensed Ham Radio Operator.

MEDIA WATCH

TOPBAND NEWS
Our 160 AM broadcaster in Brisbane, Terry VK4AAT is hell bent on becoming
the number 1 top band rebroadcaster, by taking the mantle from Pert, but
Hobart is also still in the running!
Terry is taking call-backs by email as he has discovered many listen but
can't tune up on 160.
His email address is ok on QRZ along with a magnificent picture of himself,
no mean feat that!!

INPUT TO NEWS
Don't send us links to stories, or jpeg's of articles. ALWAY write out the
story in a manner in which it can be read and pasted to our text and
audio services.

OPINIONATED NEWS
Opinions expressed in "WIANews" are those of the writers who submit material
and do not necessarily reflect those of the rebroadcasters, readers nor the
National WIA, but are broadcast in the spirit in which they were submitted.

WW SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS --- FINAL FRONTIER

AMSAT-VK UNOFFICIAL HF Net.
2nd Sunday each month.
November through March 0900 UTC 7.068 MHz
April through October 1000 UTC 3.685 MHz

THROW OUT YOUR OLD SUIT

Remember Suit-Sat One, whereby a beacon was placed into an old discarded
Russian space suit and jettisoned overboard providing a unique tracking
experience?

Well stand by for SuitSat-2.

AMSAT say development work continues to place SuitSat-2 in service sometime
in 2009. Several engineering issues have recently surfaced regarding
modulation and transmission schemes and the team is evaluating several
options regarding how best to resolve the issues.

Several individuals have recently joined the engineering team to help
overcome these challenges by developing potential alternative solutions

SKN on OSCAR 2009

Ray, W2RS extends the annual cordial invitation to all radio amateurs
worldwide to participate in AMSAT's Straight Key Night (SKN) on OSCAR 2009.

Participating in SKN on OSCAR 2009 is easy. No rules, no scoring and no need
to send in a log. Just operate CW through any OSCAR between 0000 and 2400UTC
on 1 January, using a straight hand key.

In keeping with the friendly nature of this event, all participants are
encouraged to nominate someone they worked for 'Best Fist.' Your nominee
need not have the best fist of those you heard, just of those you worked.

Please send your nomination to

(southgate/Ray Soifer, W2RS)

WW SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS --- INTERNET --- THE HAMS DOMAIN

HAM RADIO IN THE WEB: CALLBOOK FOR IPHONE AND IPOD TOUCH

And with the popularity of the Apple's mobile devices a ham radio
application for these devices could not be far away. Now from
Dog Park Software Ltd. comes version 1.0 of Callbook for I Phone and iPod
Touch.

Callbook is an Amateur Radio application that allows you to look up call
signs via the free WM7D server, the QRZ Online subscription service or the
HamCall subscription serve using your Apple portable device. Results can be
e-mailed and the QTH can be instantly viewed in the Maps application. More
information is on-line at dogparksoftware.com

WW SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS --- RESCUE RADIO

EMERGENCY FREQUENCIES ALL REGIONS
21.360 - 18.160 - 14.300 - 7.060 - 3.760 MHz.
REGION 2 TRY ALSO 3.985 - 7.240 - 7.290

Motor Sport - Comms Team Needed

New Targa Wrest Point Event

Gavin VK7HGO puts out the call for anyone interested to try out for one day
or two with the New Targa Wrest Point event which happens on Saturday,
31 January and Sunday, 1 February.

New people are welcome that may only want to be involved in a quickie event
or use it as a training exercise for Targa Tasmania later in the year.

Stages are South of Hobart on Saturday and Sunday.

Sunday has Glenlusk and Risdon Brook before going South again.

If interested please contact Gavin VK7HGO on mobile 040 772 44 31

HAMS ASSIST DURING NORTHEAST ICE STORM

Ham radio was called out the evening of Thursday, December 11th into Friday
December 12th. This as a major ice storm accompanied by freezing rains
hit the New England states. Called into action were ARES, RACES, SKYWARN
and MARS. All four groups responded to calls for assistance from served
agencies and then participated in the recovery phase of the storm. Hardest
hit were Western, Central and Northeast Massachusetts, as well as parts of
New Hampshire and Maine. A full report on what hams did is on line at the
ARRL website at
www.arrl.org

(ARNEWSLINE)

WW SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS --- VIDEO

HAMRADIOTUBE.COM

A new website dedicated to ham radio and hobby radio related films is now
on line. Called www.hamradiotube.com, the site contains many amateur radio
video clips and shows covering the past 70 years. Also there are a large
number of videos showing to other aspects of hobby radio including some

about 1960's off-shore radio broadcasting. Again the site is
www.hamradiotube.com for hours of watching all aspects of hobby radio at
its best.
(ARNEWSLINE)

SOCIAL SCENE

2009

International Telecommunication Union's Telecom World 2009.

JANUARY 18 2009 VK2
Mid North Coast Amateur Radio Group's Radio Expo St Johns Church Hall,
Maclean Street Coffs Harbour 8.30am

Feb 8 2009 VK2
WYONG FIELD DAY

June 5 - 8 VK4
FNNQARG at Cardwell Village Beachcomber Resort book on 1800 005633
Contact FNNQARG co-ordinator Gavin VK4ZZ for site booking guidance.

July 11 - 12 VK3
GippsTech 2009, the technical conference with a VHF, UHF & microwave focus.

OCT 12 - 16 ZL
14th IARU R3 Conference Christchurch 12 ? 16 October 2009.
Details at www.christchurch.org.nz/
The Region 3 Web Site: www.jarl.or.jp/iaru-r3/

Please think of the environment before printing this email

================================================== =======================WIANews - we've reported...YOU decide.

Societies and Club News Letter Editors can EXCHANGE a feed prior to
the actual broadcast date, e-mail

Call-backs follow the RF editions, but also for text readers you may
lodge a quick reply to let us know you read it, who knows, you might
even get a "cheerio call".

Thanks to to our dedicated band of broadcast volunteers who utilize
their time and equipment in bringing you this weekly broadcast.

The purpose of "WIANews" is to rapidly provide news of interest to
active amateurs residing in Australia and the globe.

We strongly encourage membership in the Wireless Institute of Australia
and participation in the activities of local clubs.

Opinions expressed in "WIANews" are those of the writers who submit
material and do not necessarily reflect those of the rebroadcasters,
nor the National WIA, but are broadcast in the spirit in which they were
submitted.

Material may be reproduced in whole or in part, in any form, a credit to
WIANews wouldn't go astray...

Compiled by VK4BB on behalf of the National WIA.

************************************************** ***************************
- NEWS POSTING TO PACKET -
Courtesy Tony VK7AX VK7AX(AT)VK7AX.#ULV.TAS.AUS.OC

************************************************** ***************************

/ex

SB QNEWS @ WW $QNEWS081228
QNEWS - DEC 28 - VK4 ON AIR
DID YOU TELL ANYONE ABOUT AMATEUR RADIO THIS WEEK?

THE FOLLOWING NEWS CAN BE HEARD IN QNEWS.MP3
FROM OUR AUDIO SERVICES
QNEWS -- ALL OF THE NEWS ALL OF THE TIME at
www.wia.org.au/vk4
QNEWS available in Audio after 0001Hrs UTC Saturday.

A blank email with word unsubscribe in subject field
Send as
MUST BE SENT FROM SAME ADDRESS AS U WISH TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM

A blank email with word subscribe in subject field
Send as

MUST BE SENT FROM SAME ADDRESS AS U WISH TO SUBSCRIBE TO

Contact QAC by HF Radio 3.605 Mondays 7:30pm after QNEWS
QAC
OVERSEES HAM RADIO MATTERS IN VK4
QNEWS newsroom
USE TO SEND US YOUR NEWS STORIES!!
QTAC
HANDLES TECHNICAL QUERIES
QTC
AR MAGAZINE COLUMN

QAC office officers :-

VK4AHW Harvey Wickes
VK4AQ Ross Anderson
VK4BY Don Wilschefski
VK4UH Kevin Johnstone

====================

The wia office address is:
The Wireless Institute of Australia
P.O. Box 2042
BAYSWATER VIC 3153

Telephone: 03 9729 0400
Fax: 03 9729 7325

AR MAGAZINE—VK4 QTC COLUMN
Written by Chris Comollattie VK4VKR
news for ar magazine to

QNEWS BROADCAST December 28 2008

John VK4BZ, Redcliffe Uniting Church minister.

VK4 SILENT KEYS @ 2008 - 2009 QAC YEAR

VK4HEL Stan Stan Sonter November 10 (advised by vk2va via summerland)
VK4NKA John Bourke November 19 (advised by vk4kd)

As we get into this weeks news... a reminder, news for QTC must be in
by the 6th of each month! (
)

Also, importantly, when you send QNEWS or NATIONAL NEWS an item a couple
of "must do's", and these have not changed over the years, just they seem
to be forgotten or not passed on to club officers after elections etc.

1/ When you file audio always email us the script and include in title
"news for bcast...date."

2/ When supplying script for someone else to read, PLEASE write as you'd
expect to hear it! as an example always write in the 3rd person!!
(Remember our readers are not you or your club so don't say things like
"we are having a working bee... say 'club members' are having a working
bee etc etc".)

3/ Don't send us links or photo's of stories , always write out the story
in a manner in which it can be read and pasted to our text and
audio services.

4/ If you want an item run 3 or more times, write a different slant on the
item, running the exact same item over and over would be dull/boring and
lets face it, if you can't think of anything extra to say, that is
probably a good sign it is shaping up a dull event!!

5/ WIA related material, eg BPL if Australian material will only be broadcast
after clearence from the WIA unless said item is already in the public
domain.

6/ Silent Keys, rather than just a persons name, sent an orbituary and/or
human interest side of the SK's passing.

AR MAGAZINE—VK4 QTC COLUMN
Written by Chris Comollattie VK4VKR
news for ar magazine to

CLUBBING - WITH RAY VK4ZW

GYMPIE

Around the Gympie area, there is a growing group experimenting with packet
radio spurred on by the Gympie Communications and Electronics Group holding
a licence for a WICEN digipeater. Old hands are reviving equipment and
software and checking link paths and newer amateurs are enjoying setting up
a mode that older amateurs had enjoyed previously.

Over the Christmas break some of the group members are engaged in
re-organising their shacks and doing the general spring clean.

Bob, VK4MR announced on the Monday night club net, that G.C.E.G. has
accepted the offer from Emergency Management Queensland for a briefing
on the structure of emergency communications and the co-ordination with
the local disaster management group. This follows the earlier invitation
for GCEG to sit on the Welfare sub committee at the request of the Chair,
Councillor Walker. The briefing is to include staff from EMQ, members of
the North Coast Communications Group, as well as a representative of the
local disaster management group. This will occur early in the new year.

As mentioned in last week's QNEWS, an informal get together of Gympie
Amateur Radio is planned for lunchtime, Saturday 10th January, at the
Chatsworth Duck Ponds.

SUNSHINE COAST
Maleny VK4RSC 146.850 and 438.075 VK4RSN 53.7
Noosa Heads VK4RSL 146.825 and 438.175

Linked Repeaters

Recently through the diligent efforts of the SCARC repeater team, and others,
linking of VK4RSC on 146.850 at Maleny and VK4RSN on 146.825 at Noosa was
achieved. This provides coverage from Brisbane to north of Noosa and out
west at least to Jimna, as our western correspondent Ken VK4KB will confirm.
The callbacks after the news are up and we are running out of time on the
Sunday morning net before the news due to more participants.
The Sunday morning Net controller VK4 Wild Bill keeps them in line most of
the time.

TOWNSVILLE
contacting theTARCinc
email address

phone contact 07-47731196 or 0408 001142
snailmail po box 333 Garbutt East, QLD 4814
homepage
http://www.tarc.org.au

Help wanted for Comms Support Events
It is not long until things start cracking with theTARCinc's
2009 Communications Support activities start happening.
iF you can help out with any event, then make sure to drop
TARC WICEN Co-ordinator, Blue Collins VK4FBLU a line, either
on telephone 47754184 or email

TARC Australia Day Weekend Family Radio Camp

theTARCinc Australia Day Weekend Family Radio Camp is
happening from Saturday Morning 24th to Monday Afternoon
26th January at the Girl Guides Association of Queensland
Campsite and Training Centre 46-56 Toolakea Beach Road, Bluewater

You will be able to camp in comfort at a number of campsites
located around the centre in your tent, mobile home or pop up camper.

There's also sleeping quarters in the dorm at Bluewater House.
Power available at most points.

Lots of tall trees and grassed open spaces for antenna work.

Well equipped kitchen - BYO food and drinks.

VK4ATV/AX4ATV will be on-air from the camp to provide directions and contact.

There will be Antenna and operating mode clinics, Australian activities,
and some camp recipes tried out in real time - just to mention a few events.

A blank email with word subscribe in subject field
Send as

MUST BE SENT FROM SAME ADDRESS AS U WISH TO SUBSCRIBE TO

PAGE_END
/EX