Old January 3rd 09, 05:24 AM posted to aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.info

Default WIANEWS for week commencing January 4 2009

attached

SB WIANEWS @ WW $QNEWS090104
WIANEWS - Jan 04 - VK NATIONAL NEWS

ALWAYS ENSURE ORIGINAL BID # AND TITLE ARE USED.
Packet uploads with thanks to vk7ax Tony

THE BEST NEWS YOU'LL GET ALL WEEK

Oh... and to contact us with your news because
If It Matters To You It Matters To Us!

email

Please.. write your story as you would expect to hear it being read back
do NOT send us links and url's!!

WIANews 24/7 with the following bulletin in Audio
when you visit the MEMBERS AREA on
www.wia.org.au
This weeks WIANews available in Audio after 0100hrs UTC Saturday.
http://www.wiaq.com/ftp/wianews_64.mp3 FM Radio quality
http://www.wiaq.com/ftp/wianews.mp3 AM Radio Quality
http://www.wia.org.au (news in member area) Submit your audio news
http://www.wiaq.com/admin/pandaupload.php Submit your Audio (backup)
http://www.wiaq.com and click the QNEWS link to see weekly news stats

free emailed script
http://lists.wia.org.au/mailman/listinfo/vk1wia-news

Now you can dial this WIANews wherever you are on the
"gateway dot net dot au" 1300 phone service.
Dial 1300 558 592 and at the prompt type W.I.A.N. (That's 9426).
"Standard call rate from fixed home phone, higher from mobiles".

This is WIANEWS for week commencing January 4 2009

Get your personalised WIA email address today..

The WIA though it's email server allows you to establish
" with all emails sent to this address
automatically forwarded to either your home or work email account..

This provides YOU with ONE consistent email address. And should you ever
change ISP, then having a WIA address means your friends and colleague
will still be able to email you without the need for individually
providing them with your new address. All YOU need to do is to simply
advise us of your new address, through form on our website and we do the
rest. It couldn't be easier !! A further benefit of having a WIA
address, is in receiving informative Amateur Radio news as it breaks,
sent directly to YOUR inbox..

Obtaining your WIA email address is really quite easy, simply visit our

website www.wia.org.au click on member services,
then select email address, and fill out the application form.

Scouts Australia is conducting the 14th Australian Venture, called "ESCAPE"
near Perth in January 2009. http://www.escape2venture.com/

Venturers are Scouts aged between 14.5 to 18. About 850 of them will be
travelling from all over Australia, and there will be contingents from the UK
and New Zealand.

For the first part of the Venture the participants will be engaged in
expeditions around the South West of Western Australia. These include
caving, rock climbing, hiking, mountain biking, a boot camp, scuba diving,
tall ships, and the list goes on. These young people will be exhausted but
happy at the end of that week.

The then return to the central camp at Fairbridge Farm, Pinjarra, about
90 Kms south of Perth, where they will engage in a wide variety of
activities that may be skills based, entertaining, relaxing, educational
and of course fun.

These on-site activities include an internet café and Amateur Radio Shack
which is operated by the W.A. Scout Communications Team. These will be in
operation from Friday 9th to Wednesday 14th January.

The Internet Cafe will enable the Venturers to catch up with email, blogs
etc. chat online, and chill out.

The Amateur Radio Shack will be on-air from Friday 9th January until
Wednesday 14th January.

We will be using the callsign VK6SAA
Our time zone is Western Australian Summer Time, UTC+9

We will be working HF bands, on or near the Scout Calling Frequencies:
(these are a mix of World and Australian Scout Calling Frequencies)
Voice calling frequencies:

3.650 and 3.790 DX, 7.090, 14.190 or 14.290, 21.190, 28.590, 52.160

Calling frequencies for Slow Scan TV (SSTV):
3.630, 7.033, 14.227

Calling Frequencies for PSK31
14.070

We will be listening on 2 metres VK6RFM Repeater EchoLink VK6DN Mode 170709
IRLP 6200 We will have EchoLink onsite, VK6SH.

We will also have equipment for listening and talking to satellites, hoping
to get a 25 year certificate from ARISS, and maybe also a few QSOs via

repeaters on board satellites. If you wish to pre-arrange a sked. please
email anytime before or during the event, or
contact us during the event on EchoLink.

We are making a special QSL card for the event, and will happily exchange
QSL cards with any contact made, including Short Wave Listeners .

We look forward to making many contacts in the 6 days of operation.

Bob Bristow
VK6POP
Branch Commissioner for Communications and Technology
Scouts Western Australia
JOTA-JOTI Coordinator
Scouts Australia

HAMS ACROSS AUSTRALIA.
(rotate vk1 wx, 2sky, 3dms, 4vks, 5nz, 6?, 7tw, 8zwm)

VK0

Bob VK0BP would like to thank all of the VK stations that have made contact
with him down at Davis Station Antarctica. He has had contact with nearly
100 VK stations and 80 odd countries in total on 6 different bands, although
most on 20m.

Bob would like to pass on a special thanks to Christie VK6XCJ for his time
one very late night - a successful experiment indeed, with contacts on 30m,
20m, 17m, 15m, 12m and VK0BP being able to hear Christie on 40m and 10m.

Bob has done some similar experiments with a few other stations prior and
since, but not on so many bands, and certainly without that level of success.

For that extra bit of spice, Bob hopes to operate as AX0BP on Australia Day,
which would have to be far rarer than the "usual" vk0 callsign. Do have a
listen out for him.

For more details on Bob's time down south check out his website
www.vk0bp.org

His email details are also there so do feel free to pop him a message.

VK1
vk1 local news email and ask for subscription.

UHF CB X 1

C.R.A.R.C. are trialling the broadcast on UHF CB, so if you are in the area
have a scan around. The news does go out on CB Channel 15 in Hobart, Perth
CB Channel 8 and in Maryborough Queensland channel 14.
Maryborough this WIA year has received 433 callbacks, Perth 258 and some
174 in Hobart

VK2
web service:-
http://www.arnsw.org.au/html/news_vk2wi.htm
VKG Roundup http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news

Today VK2WI News continues in the summer format of a morning only
transmission. There will be a further segment about the Kurrajong Radio
Museum from Ian VK2ZIO in the vk2wi local edition.

Wyong - Central Coast Amateur Radio Club Annual Field Day

A big welcome to the New Year for all Amateur Radio Enthusiast's from
members of the Central Coast Amateur Radio Club.

This very popular field day will again be held on Sunday 8 February and it
happens as usual at the Wyong Race Course on the Central Coast.
Entry fee is $10 per adult and children 17 years and under are free.
There will be a huge range of exhibitors as well as the Fleamarket.
An Amateur Radio Station (VK2WFD) will be operating both HF and VHF on the
Field Day. A good opportunity to show non-amateurs what our hobby is about.

There will be a big number of Traders and Exhibitors on the day, remember,
the Traders will not be open for business until 0900 hours, then you can
look and spend. Also there will be a ATM available inside the main
building.

The "Flea Market" will be open as soon as they are "set-up". P/A speakers
will be operating in the Flea Market area.

Gates open any-time after sun-up on the 8th. February, so "be there,
and be early"

More info on Club and Field Day Web Page. (not supplied to news room...ed.)

Or phone Ray VK2 HAY on (02) 4325 2182.

Again we remind those in Sydney wishing to become Ham Operators that the
Liverpool & Districts ARC together with Fishers Ghost ARC will be running
that Foundation Licence Course on 17 and 18 January.
Standard Licence assessments will also be made on Sunday 18th.
Details are still available from Tel: 9896 5763 .

VK3
web service:-
http://www.amateurradio.com.au/news/
VKC Roundup http://www.police

Trash 'n Treasure Sale

Amateur Radio Victoria announces its Trash 'n Treasure Sale will be on
Sunday the 18th of January.
The doors open at 10.30am at the Amateur Radio Victoria Office, 40g
Victory Boulevard, Ashburton.
A wide selection of radios, equipment and components to be available.

VK4
web service local news:- www.wiaq.com/qnews/upload/qnewsbcast.htm
local news email
VKR Roundup
http://www.police.qld.gov.au/News+an...edia+Releases/

Holy Site Takeovers Batman !

Is it a case of repeater site takeover by stealth ?
or is it a case of classic G.I.G.O database entry ?

During a regular scan of the Australian Communications and Media Authority's
RADCOM Database Gavin VK4ZZ noted a number of new entries for VHF High Band
mobile services for licenses granted to a national charity organisation by
the ACMA during September 2008.

A specific example included -

The Townsville Amateur Radio Club repeater site at Mount Stuart near
Townsville (Site ID 19492) where 5 high band VHF repeater systems have been
granted a license on 26th September 2008. There has been no correspondence
between the ACMA and theTARCinc, nor between the charity organisation and
theTARCinc regarding co-siting requirements and EMC checks and there is

currently no space available on the mast for the specified RF Industries
SMD2 folded dipoles that are noted in the license assignments.

Is it Big Bother (spelling error intended) rampant again
(after the World Radio fiasco) or is it just an honest data input error ?

Time will tell !

For additional homework surf to
http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/re...arch.main_page
and do a license search on your club repeater's callsign,
then click on the site id to see all the licensed services and see
if your club's repeater site has been affected by this errr "anomaly" .

(Gavin VK4ZZ)

VK7
local area news :- http://reast.asn.au/news.php
vk7 local news, email

AGM

Clayton VK7ZCR reminds REAST members that the Annual General Meeting is
coming up in February and there are some of the committee who are not
re-standing so, if you would like to be involved in running your club
please contact Clayton to discuss on 6105 0446 and he will send you a
nomination form.

SILENT KEYS
(WIA 'official's past and present, Internationals of note or interest
others best dealt with in local news).

This "list" has been forwarded to the news room by Bill Horner a ham in VK4
and although we have no verification the list is correct we are publishing
it in the good faith in which it was provided.

SILENT KEYS: Several well-known DXers passed away during the past weeks:
Junji Saito (JA7SSB), Myron D "Bud" Weisberg (K2YOF),
Stanislav Julianovich Muhlja (UR5FB, ex-UB5FBO -UR5FBO),
Marcus D Leuchter (AA5XM), Renato Rogna (I1ROP, former ARI president
of the Piemonte & Valle d'Aosta region),
Richard F Ray (KB1IGN), Charles O Fulcher (KE6SE),
Russell R McDonald (N5SCQ), Viktor L Kozlov (R9WU),
Alexander V Pakhomov (UA3GEV), Anatoly A Abramov (UA9SU),
Vladimir N Serdyuk (UR7ISG), Fernand Plante (VE2FVD),
Robert K Golder (W1WYZ), Robert V Edwards (W8KIC) and
Joseph Raihshtain (RD4HF, ex-4K6GF, -UD6GF, -UD6DLJ) who passed away
Dec 7 after being licensed since 1955.

Bill Horner
PO Box 612
Childers
4660
Australia

A rather remarkable list considering they ALL passed just in a few weeks
of each other.

INTERNATIONAL NEWS With thanks to RSGB, Southgate AR Club, the ARRL,
Amateur Radio Newsline, NZART and the WW sources of the WIA. I'm VK5MM Rob.

China starts building world's largest radio telescope

China officially has started construction of a Five-hundred-meter Aperture
Spherical Telescope (FAST), the largest in the world, in a remote southwest
region.

Preparation and research for the project took some 14 years.

The dish-like telescope, as large as 30 football fields, will stand in a
region of typical Karst depressions in Guizhou Province when it's done in
2013.

FAST's main spherical reflector will be composed of 4,600 panels. Its
observation sensitivity will be 10 times more powerful than the 100-m
aperture steerable radio telescope in Germany.

Its overall capacity will be 10 times larger than what is now the world's
largest (300 m) Arecibo radio telescope developed by the United States,
according to Nan Rendong, the chief scientist of the project and an NAO
researcher.

The project cost more than 102 million U.S. dollars.

(sourced to southgate)

Education Today and Tomorrow videos

A video on YouTube highlights the importance of a technological educational
in today's world.

The YouTube video Education Today and Tomorrow highlights that the world is
changing fast and people in the traditional English speaking nations need
to raise educational standards, particularly in Technology, in order to keep
up.

One of the little known nuggets of information contained in the presentation
is that China looks destined to have more English speakers than any other
country.

Go to YouTube and do a search on "Education Today and Tomorrow."

(Southgate)

NEWS FROM SOUTHGATE

LEDs and smart lighting could save trillions

According to a recent paper by two professors at Rensselaer Polytechnic
Institute a 'revolution' in the way we illuminate our world is imminent.

ScienceDaily reports that innovations in photonics and solid state lighting
will lead to trillions of dollars in cost savings, along with a massive
reduction in the amount of energy required to light homes and businesses
around the globe, the researchers forecast.

A new generation of lighting devices based on light-emitting diodes (LEDs)
will supplant the common light bulb in coming years, the paper suggests.
In addition to the environmental and cost benefits of LEDs, the technology
is expected to enable a wide range of advances in areas as diverse as
healthcare, transportation systems, digital displays and computer networking.

"What the transistor meant to the development of electronics, the LED means
to the field of photonics. This core device has the potential to
revolutionize how we use light," wrote co-authors E. Fred Schubert and
Jong Kyu Kim.

The ScienceDaily article says that in general LEDs will require 20 times
less power than today's conventional light bulbs, and five times less power
than "green" compact fluorescent bulbs.

The paper 'Transcending the replacement paradigm of solid-state lighting'
by Jong Kyu Kim and E. Fred Schubert can be downloaded from
http://tinyurl.com/6wnza7

Read the full Science Daily article

'LEDs And Smart Lighting Could Save Trillions Of Dollars, Spark Global
Innovation'
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1217074908.htm

Science Daily
http://www.sciencedaily.com/

(read by Southgate Amateur Radio
Club's Richard G4TUT)

RSGB NEWS FROM G4NJH

Early 2009 is target for new joint radio service

Early 2009 is the target for a new joint radio service that will serve
European audiences on shortwave using Digital Radio Mondiale technology.

That's when the BBC World Service and the English-language
division of Deutsche Welle will begin targeting Western and
Central Europe with digital content that will include global news
and current affairs, analysis, documentaries and cultural
programs. Digital Radio Mondiale was developed in Europe as the
digital broadcasting system for bands below 30MHz.

NEWS FROM ARNEWSLINE

NYC HALL OF SCIENCE TO OUST ITS NAMESAKE HAM RADIO STATION

The future of WB2JSM, the club station operated inside New York's Hall of
Science museum is cloudy. This, after the group which operates it gets an
order to begin dismantling it. Amateur Radio Newsline's Mark Abramowicz,
NT3V, has the story:

Thomas Tumino, N2YTF, who is taking the reins as president of the Hall of
Science Amateur Radio Club in New York, doesn't want to have the
distinction of being the last president of the organization.

Tumino, who has been vice president of the group for the past year, got

word from the president of the New York Hall of Science that repairs to the
roof would require the temporary removal of the club's antennas.

Tumino says all looked good until about two weeks ago when he was summoned
to a meeting where the group was told because of renovations there was no
room for amateur radio inside the museum.

Tumino says he pressed further and was told there was an avenue of appeal.

"We were told we could appeal it to the museum president, the new museum
president, and she has granted us a meeting for the first week in January,"
Tumino says.

She is Dr. Margaret Honey, the new president and chief executive officer of
the New York Hall of Science.

Tumino says the club has launched a petition campaign on the web and is

asking for electronic signatures at www-dot-tinyurl-dot-com forward slash
h-o-s-a-r-c. (www.tinyurl.com/hosarc).

If you didn't get that address, you can go to the text version of this
week's show to find it.

For the Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Mark Abramowicz, NT3V, in Philadelphia.

We'll have a follow-up report on the future of the Hall of Science ham
radio station in the coming weeks. (ARNewsLine")

MOUNT ATHOS WANTS HELP KEEPING SY PREFIX

A decision by Greek telecommunications authorities may cause confusion in
then DXCC program and the Monks at Mount Athos monastery are asking your
help to sort it all out.

According to Monk Appolo, a recent change in regulations made by the Greek
Ministry of Communications has re-designated the long-time Mount Athos SY
prefix to special call status and has made it available to any Greek ham
who wants it. Monk Appolo says that those at the Ministry do not
understand the importance of Mount Athos as a separate DXCC entity to the
world of amateur radio and to the DXCC program itself. .

To help reverse the decision, Monk Apollo is asking hams world-wide to send
an email to the Greek telecommunications ministry at . He

says to request that they act to once again reserve the SY prefix solely
for the use of Mount Athos. This, to eliminate any confusion to the DXCC

OPERATIONAL NEWS -

ON AIR CONTEST AND EVENT COLUMN - D A T E L I N E

2009

JAN 1 ROSS HULL Contest started

Jan 10 - 11 Hunting Lions in the air.

JAN 17 - 18 Summer VHF Field Day

FEB 28 - Mar 1 JOCK WHITE MEMORIAL FIELD DAY

MAR 14 - 15 BERU

Running till Dec 31 2009 is the 4th CQ DX Marathon

VHF CONTEST NEWS

Ross Hull Contest

The Ross Hull Contest began on Thursday, 1 January and continues throughout
the month. The rules have undergone major changes and scoring now follows
a similar pattern to the VHF-UHF Field Days.

The contest includes two main sections. One is for all traditional modes
including CW and voice. The other is for stations using non-voice digital
modes such as RTTY, PSK and WSJT.

The Ross Hull Contest is not a field day, but stations may operate from any
location, or change locations during the contest. Contacts made in the Summer
Field Day can also be included in the Ross Hull Contest log. The only
difference is that for the Field Day the repeat contact time limit is
3 hours, but for the Ross Hull Contest stations may be worked once per band
per UTC day.

Further details are available in December "AR" magazine and on the WIA web
site.

The VKCL Contest Logging Software

Users of the VKCL logging software should download the latest version, which
became available several weeks ago. In particular, multi-operator stations
can avoid any hiccups when merging their logs if all operators are using the
same version of the software. The latest version of VKCL includes
improvements for Field Day logging, and it is essential for the Ross Hull
Contest because it is the only version that supports the new rules. VKCL also
has a log importing facility that allows contacts from a Field Day log to be
imported into a Ross Hull Contest log.

SPECIAL EVENTS, BEACON DX AND NET ADVICE
hf nets ON the net,
www.timroberts-vk4yeh.id.au/

OP 0 LE (O-POLE) Princess Elizabeth Base Antarctica Till Feb 15 2009

OZ 1658 ROS 350th anniversary of the Treaty of Roskilde Till Dec 31 2009

VARIOUS SM STATIONS USING 1658 (Treaty of Roskilde) Till Dec 31 2009

VI 90 BV Waverley Amateur Radio Society 90th Birthday Till Dec 31 2009

Wallis and Futuna Islands DXpedition

Eli, HA9RE, and a team of operators will be active from Wallis Island as
FW5RE (not FW0RE as some media had reported).

Eli informs OPDX that the group is expected to arrive on Wallis Island during
the afternoon of the January 26th. Eli states, "Provided all our baggage
arrives in due time then we can begin the operation on January 28-29th."
They are expected to be there for about a month.

Activity will be on 160-10 meters, including 30/17/12 meters, using CW, SSB
and RTTY. Two stations will be on the air.

Antennas to be used a a 24m vertical on 160/80/40m, Spiderbeam for
20/17/15/10m, HB9CV for 20-15m and a 8-band Butternut.

QSL Manager will be HA8IB.

(opdx via southgate)

6m EME DXpedition to South Cook Islands

Interested in working E51 (previously ZK1) on 6m? Please mark your calendars
for March 26 to April 4.

More information is he
http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj/E51SIX.htm

(SOUTHGATE)

DXXE anniversary special event station

Members of the DXXE (Mexican Contest and DX group) are now active celebrating
their 4th anniversary by using the special callsign 4A1DXXE until January 6.

Activity is on 160-6 meters using CW, SSB and RTTY.

They were also heard on the AO51 satellite this past weekend.

QSL via N7RO and the LoTW.

QSOs with this station are good for the DXXE Award.

For more information, visit the DXXE Web page at:
www.dxxe.org

(southgate)

WIRELESS WEATHER

If you'd like to track sunrise and sunset times, the U.S. Naval Observatory
is the place to go. You can find sunrise/sunset times for any location at
www.tinyurl.com/BITS-027

BROADCAST MONITORING SWL AND SCANNER NEWS

http://www.scanaustralia.bigpondhosting.com
www.scanvictoria.com

I am aware a few "future hams" read and listen to VK1WIA news, if you've
ever wanted to try out a shortwave radio and listen to stations from all
over the globe, you can do so over the Internet.

www.tinyurl.com/BITS-026

You actually operate a shortwave radio located in New York from your home
and yes, you CAN hear whatever the radio picks up ... that's kind of cool!

THE QNEWS WORK BENCH - the nuts and volts report -
(Measure twice - Cut once!)

The mouse turns 40

Just imagine a personal computer without a mouse? That may very well happen
in a few years time but more about that later.

The first public demonstration of a mouse was by the Standford Research
Institute in San Francisco California on 9 December 1968.

At an event attended by 1,000 computer professionals the mouse made its
debut, shown off by Douglas Engelbart and his team of fellow researchers.

It looked like a real mouse in shape and its attached cord resembling a tail
led to it gaining its name.

Four years later Bill English developed the 'ball mouse' replacing the
external wheels on the original mouse with a single ball that could rotate
in any direction. It was first sold with the Zerox Alto computer in 1981.

In more recent years wireless technology enabled the ubiquitous mouse to
lose its tail.

There are now predictions that within five years the mouse will be obsolete,
being replaced by touch screen and facial recognition technology.

(Jim Linton VK3PC)

Turn a 'low energy' light bulb into an 80m transmitter!

'Low energy' light bulbs are renown for causing radio interference but they
can be put to good use.

A website describes how to turn one into a transmitter for the Amateur Radio
80m band.

Michael Rainey AA1TJA's website describes how to convert a compact
fluorescent lamp (CFL) in this case a TriMax Electronic Fluorescent Lamp,
into a 1.5 watt QRP CW transmitter for 3.5 MHz.

Indeed Michael goes on to say "a perfectly serviceable transmitter may be
constructed! The only additional components required were the quartz crystal,
and four of the five components needed for the output low pass filter.
The resulting transmitter produces up to 1.5 watts on 80m."

http://mjrainey.googlepages.com/dasderelicht

(sourced to southgate ar club)

WW SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS - ASTRONOMICAL

IYA Special Prefix Callsign

The International Year of Astronomy Special Prefix Callsign started January 1
UTC and ends February 27th 23:59 UTC February 28.

All Canadian Amateurs have been encouraged to use it to commemorate
Galileo's first look through an optical instrument towards the heavens.

The Special Prefix a

VE changes to CG
VA changes to CF
VO changes to CH
VY changes to CI

January 10 many astronomy clubs across Canada and around the world will be
participating in local astronomical activities.

Displays at Shopping Malls, talks in Public Libraries, star parties for the
public will be happening.

RAC also encouraged amateur Radio operators who are affiliated with the
Royal Astronomical Society of Canada that might have local IRLP access to
visit node 9005 the Vancouver Reflector on January 10th to join in the
across Canada IYA Net.

To find out more about this unique ham radio Special prefix and related

projects visit
www.hamiya2009.info

WW SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS --- ATV (Every pixel tells a story)

ATV Experimenters Night

A quick reminder that the REAST ATV night gets back underway in Hobart
Wednesday January 7th and apart from January 14th they will be happening
throughout January 2009 starting around 7:30pm.

How do you receive ATV on an ATV night well, ATV goes out on 444.25MHz
(Channel 16) - just below SBS on the UHF TV Band. You will need an antenna
with some gain pointed toward the Domain to receive da signal so, why not
try tuning down the low end of the UHF TV band and give em a call on what
you are seeing and hearing.

http://reast.asn.au/events.php#ATVnights

(sourced to Justin, VK7TW)

WW SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS --- DIGITAL
Australian Coordinator for TCPIP domains is Indy

AUSTRALIAN DSTAR LIST NOW HAS 233 MEMBERS AND GROWING

There are now 233 radio amateurs world-wide posting to the Australian
D-Star list and the number seems to increase every day.

Since the introduction of the list earlier this year, membership
and site usage has been increasing drastically. D-Star usage has also
shown a marked increase since the introduction of the DV Dongle giving
hams a relatively inexpensive and easy way to gain the benefits of D-Star
from home.

And a reminder of the weekly D-Star net Thursday 8pm AEST on VK3RWN-C,
VK3RWN-G and REFLECTOR 3 Port-C.

WW SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS --- RESCUE RADIO

EMERGENCY FREQUENCIES ALL REGIONS
21.360 - 18.160 - 14.300 - 7.060 - 3.760 MHz.
REGION 2 TRY ALSO 3.985 - 7.240 - 7.290

Irish Emergency broadcast

On the 16th December at 4.45am the Department of Communications carried out
a structured exercise in relation to the broadcast of emergency services.
This exercise was part of the Government's commitment to emergency planning.
Early that morning, all television and radio channels carried a 30-second
engineering test simultaneously across Ireland.

The four terrestrial broadcasters, regional broadcasters, all national radio
channels and the 25 local radio stations carried an announcement indicating
that an engineering test was being conducted and that normal programming
would resume at the end of the test.

The exercise was designed to simulate an urgent requirement of the Government
and/or the emergency services to have access to radio and TV broadcast
platforms in a short time scale in order to broadcast to the public.

The Government Task Force on Emergency Planning considers that in the event
of an emergency, broadcast media will be the most efficient vehicle for the
transmission of emergency messages to the public. This is the first time such
an exercise has ever been carried out in Ireland. It was also the first time
that Government Buildings has been used to distribute a message to virtually
every broadcast entity in the State.

SOCIAL SCENE

2009

International Telecommunication Union's Telecom World 2009.

JANUARY 18 2009 VK2
Mid North Coast Amateur Radio Group's Radio Expo St Johns Church Hall,
Maclean Street Coffs Harbour 8.30am

Feb 8 2009 VK2
WYONG FIELD DAY

June 5 - 8 VK4
FNNQARG at Cardwell Village Beachcomber Resort book on 1800 005633
Contact FNNQARG co-ordinator Gavin VK4ZZ for site booking guidance.

July 11 - 12 VK3
GippsTech 2009, the technical conference with a VHF, UHF & microwave focus.

OCT 12 - 16 ZL
14th IARU R3 Conference Christchurch 12 ? 16 October 2009.
Details at
www.christchurch.org.nz/
The Region 3 Web Site: www.jarl.or.jp/iaru-r3/

REWIND - A LOOK BACK IN HISTORY
(Will McGhie VK6UU is WIA National Historian)

City Park Radio - Launceston
http://www.cityparkradio.com/radiomuseum.htm

Enjoy the incredible ambience of a magnificent heritage cottage location with
some the oldest wisteria vines in Australia. Marvel at the wonderful exhibits
in the historical radio museum, and experience live broadcasting from the
updated stables studios.

Located just inside the main gates of City Park Launceston.

It is a working FM community radio station (103.7MHz) and also includes the
Radio Museum with over 50 Radios, dating back from the early 30's, including
:

Astor's - Mickey Astor's - Stromberg Carlson - Chrysler - Phillips - AWA
HMV - Hot Point and many more

The articles on display have been donated or provided on-loan by various
benefactors.

Museum Opening hours are Monday to Saturday: 9am - 2pm.

(VK7TAS via vk7news)

THE FINAL FINAL

From last weeks "Work Bench - The Nut & Volts Report"

An Australian technology that provides ground-based GPS like coverage
recently received $21.6 million in equity investment from Khaleeji
Commercial Bank in Bahrain.

The technology, called Locata from a Canberra-based company of the same

name, is a network of transceivers and receivers that improves the coverage
of existing GPS satellites.

RAY VK6PW says he understands at least one of the companies Canberra
identities is a licensed Ham Radio Operator. "

Hardly had the news been broadcast when we received this e-mail,

"Indeed this is true. I was listening to the broadcast this morning and
nearly fell off my chair! Regards Dave Small VK1DS Inventor and Co-Founder
of said Locata Corporation Pty Ltd".

Please think of the environment before printing this email

================================================== =======================WIANews - we've reported...YOU decide.

Societies and Club News Letter Editors can EXCHANGE a feed prior to
the actual broadcast date, e-mail

Call-backs follow the RF editions, but also for text readers you may
lodge a quick reply to let us know you read it, who knows, you might
even get a "cheerio call".

Thanks to to our dedicated band of broadcast volunteers who utilize
their time and equipment in bringing you this weekly broadcast.

The purpose of "WIANews" is to rapidly provide news of interest to
active amateurs residing in Australia and the globe.

We strongly encourage membership in the Wireless Institute of Australia
and participation in the activities of local clubs.

Opinions expressed in "WIANews" are those of the writers who submit
material and do not necessarily reflect those of the rebroadcasters,
nor the National WIA, but are broadcast in the spirit in which they were
submitted.

Material may be reproduced in whole or in part, in any form, a credit to
WIANews wouldn't go astray...

Compiled by VK4BB on behalf of the National WIA.

************************************************** ***************************
- NEWS POSTING TO PACKET -
Courtesy Tony VK7AX VK7AX(AT)VK7AX.#ULV.TAS.AUS.OC

************************************************** ***************************

/ex

SB QNEWS @ WW $QNEWS009104
QNEWS - JAN 04 - VK4 ON AIR
DID YOU TELL ANYONE ABOUT AMATEUR RADIO THIS WEEK?

THE FOLLOWING NEWS CAN BE HEARD IN QNEWS.MP3
FROM OUR AUDIO SERVICES
QNEWS -- ALL OF THE NEWS ALL OF THE TIME at
www.wia.org.au/vk4
QNEWS available in Audio after 0001Hrs UTC Saturday.

A blank email with word unsubscribe in subject field
Send as
MUST BE SENT FROM SAME ADDRESS AS U WISH TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM

A blank email with word subscribe in subject field
Send as

MUST BE SENT FROM SAME ADDRESS AS U WISH TO SUBSCRIBE TO

Contact QAC by HF Radio 3.605 Mondays 7:30pm after QNEWS
QAC
OVERSEES HAM RADIO MATTERS IN VK4
QNEWS newsroom
USE TO SEND US YOUR NEWS STORIES!!
QTAC
HANDLES TECHNICAL QUERIES
QTC
AR MAGAZINE COLUMN

QAC office officers :-

VK4AHW Harvey Wickes
VK4AQ Ross Anderson
VK4BY Don Wilschefski
VK4UH Kevin Johnstone

====================

The wia office address is:
The Wireless Institute of Australia
P.O. Box 2042
BAYSWATER VIC 3153

Telephone: 03 9729 0400
Fax: 03 9729 7325

AR MAGAZINE—VK4 QTC COLUMN
Written by Chris Comollattie VK4VKR
news for ar magazine to

QNEWS BROADCAST January Four 2009

GOLD COAST AMATEUR RADIO SOCIETY

To access the Goldies 146.700 repeater you must have a CTCSS 123 tone.

On the Gold Coast front, VK4RGQ on 146.950 MHz is now on air from the
Darlington Range (Near Yatla) and is linked to VK4RGC on 146.700 MHz at

Springbrook, these repeaters carry the news and have IRLP access, 4RGQ has
been commissioned to fill in the South side of Brisbane and the Northern
Gold Coast suburbs, also... VK4RAI on 439.325 MHz at Ipswich is also linked
to the Gold Coast Wide Area system,123.0 Hz CTCSS is required to access all
of these these repeaters.

A 6 Meter repeater is also now operational from Springbrook, VK4RGO on
53.800 MHz (no tone is required at this stage)

70CM is also now operational from Springbrook, VK4RGC on 438.600 and
requires 123.0 Hz CTCSS for access, this repeater has full Echolink

TABLELANDS RADIO AND ELECTRONICS CLUB

John VK4TL — President has supplied QNEWS a few words about their Longlands
Gap Repeater.

The expensive ZCG/Scalar antenna has been struck by lightning and is Kaput,
blackened and split asunder.

John volunteered his "Mobile One" vertical to take its place. All would have
been great but the first RF transistor in the Rx may have also got the shock
of its life at the same time as the lightning strike, so the receiver has to
be looked at.

Good news is that the Bones Knob repeater 439.900 is now back on air.

TOWNSVILLE

Help wanted for Comms Support

It is not long until things start cracking with theTARCinc's
2009 Communications Support activities start happening.
First on the horizon is the following event -

Jan 17-18, TERAHA Endurance Clinic at the North Queensland Equestrian
Centre, Bluewater Park (weather permitting), with 5km and 20km training
rides out of the Centre. Some equipment and comms training will also take
place and quite a few contacts will also be made in the Summer VHF/UHF
field day during the weekend.

if you wish to help out with this event then make sure to drop
TARC WICEN Co-ordinator, Blue Collins VK4FBLU a line, on telephone 4775 4184
or email

TARC Australia Day Weekend Family Radio Camp

theTARCinc Australia Day Weekend Family Radio Camp is happening from Saturday
Morning 24th to Monday Afternoon 26th January at the Girl Guides Association
of Queensland Campsite and Training Centre 46-56 Toolakea Beach Road,
Bluewater

You will be able to camp in comfort at a number of sites located around the
centre in your tent, mobile home or popup camper, there's also sleeping
quarters in the dorm at Bluewater House.

Power available at most points.

Lots of tall trees and grassed open spaces for antenna work.

Well equipped kitchen - BYO food and drinks.

VK4ATV/AX4ATV will be on-air from the camp to provide directions and contact.

There will be Antenna and operating mode clinics, Australian activities,
and some camp recipes tried out in real time - just to mention a few events.

A blank email with word subscribe in subject field
Send as

MUST BE SENT FROM SAME ADDRESS AS U WISH TO SUBSCRIBE TO

PAGE_END
/EX