Old May 27th 11, 10:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1763 - May 27 2011

Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1763 - May 27 2011

Amateur Radio Newsline report number 1763 with a release date of
Friday, May 27, 2011 to follow in 5-4-3-2-1.

The following is a Q-S-T. Ham radio faces another challenge from
Mother Nature as more tornadoes hit in the south; the FCC Chairman
makes a surprise visit to Hamvention 2011, a ham is fined $4000 for out
of band operation, and four New York radio amateurs meet with the
sponsor of H-R 607 and he says he will try to eliminate 420 to 440 MHz
from it. Find out the details are on Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) report
number 1763 coming your way right now.

(Billboard Cart Here)

**

RESCUE RADIO: HAM RADIO RESPONDS TO JOPLIN TORNADO

Ham radio operators are a part of severe weather spotting as well as
being involved in relief efforts as tornadoes continue to ravage the
South. We have the latest in this report:

--

Actually, four days after the severe weather struck, very little is
known about the role being played by radio amateurs in the South,

We do know come from published news reports that quote Ron Kittleman,
K0ADI. He says that hams have been stationed at the Springfield
Missouri office of the National Weather Service. Also, that amateurs
from ARES have been providing communication between hospitals and
assessment teams following the tornado that hit Joplin at approximately
6 pm local time on Sunday, May 22nd.

According to Kittleman, the storm knocked out cell phone and landline
communications across the area. Radio operators from ARES started
relaying medical information between the Freeman Hospital and the St
John's and Cox Health medical facilities in Springfield shortly after
the storm hit.

Another report says that a Kansas and Western Missouri SATERN Teams
from the Salvation Army has been activated for the Joplin tornado
response. As we go to air, SATERN team members are reportedly
assisting with communications in the affected area. Also, a Salvation
Army emergency disaster services team based out Pittsburg, Kansas has
been deployed to Joplin. Its job is to help carry out mass feeding for
residents and first responders through a mobile feeding kitchen capable
of serving thousands of meals a day.

As we go to air, the situation across the storm ravaged region remains
a fluid one with events changing by the minute. We should know more in
the coming days.

From the Newsroom in Los Angeles, I'm Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF, reporting

for the Amateur Radio network

--

More on this ham radio emergency response to this springs wicked
weather in future Amateur Radio Newsline reports. (ARNewsline(tm) from

--

HAMVENTION 2011: IT WAS THE SHOW TO BE AT

Dayton Hamvention 2011 is in the books and for some, the highlights
included an "out of this world" experience in the visit of a NASA
astronaut and a surprise guest appearance by one of the government's
top communications regulators. Amateur Radio Newsline's Mark
Abramowicz, NT3V has the report.

--

"My call sign here on Earth is KF5BOC. But I've never used it. I call
that my gravity call sign. But, my real call sign is NA1SS from the

And, that's what NASA Astronaut Doug Wheelock had to say during
Saturday's Youth Forum at the Dayton Hamvention, one of several events
he attended during the weekend celebration of Global Friendship, the
theme of this year's gathering.

Wheelock was invited to Hamvention to be part of the American Radio
Relay League's Expo.

But he spent a lot of time mingling and circulating throughout various
areas of the Hamvention grounds and freely signed autographs and
chatted with folks and packed a Saturday afternoon forum where he
talked about life aboard the International Space Station.

Wheelock says his time aboard the space station was anything but
routine.

It was last July 31, only hours after a pre-arranged contact with K2BSA
at the Boy Scouts of America Jamboree in Virginia that things got
challenging.

"I had just shut down the tread mill and about 10 minutes later the
alarms went off," Wheelock recalls. "I looked and I kept silencing the
alarms, silencing the alarm. I picked up the mic and said 'Houston are
you there?'

"And, they weren't answering and so then I looked and all my crewmates
were there and they said: 'What did you do?' I said: 'I just turned off
the tread mill, I promise you.'

"Anyway, we had a pump module that failed, we ended up having to go
outside and do three space walks."

And, Wheelock says, it was great to know there were people -other than
his crewmates and NASA engineers - who he could talk to and decompress
as they battled to fix the problem...

"As we came back in from those spacewalks. I got on the ham radio and
we talked about it and everything," Wheelock says. "Using that radio
and having you guys as an emergency contact for us around the globe was
a warm, warm feeling for me as a commander aboard that space station."

And, Wheelock says, he looked at ham radio aboard the ISS as a critical
back-up, should all else fail...

"I thought, you know, I have these emergency contacts on every
continent on that planet down there," Wheelock recalls. "And, I thought
if my communication goes out with Mission Control, I am not hesitating
one bit to call some of my friends and say: 'Hey, Chris, can you give
Mission Control a jingle and tell 'em that we're okay.' "

And, Wheelock says, becoming a ham has been a life-changing
experience....

"The friends that I made in the amateur radio business and community, I
now feel like a just an entrenched member of this community and it
really truly has changed my life for the better," Wheelock says.

Finally, Wheelock recalls "crossing the line." He thought it was
harmless when he did it. But his NASA ham radio instructor informed him
after he did it that...well, let's have him tell the story of wishing a
frequent friend over Europe by the name of Fabiano a happy birthday...

"I felt like I was kind of slapped on the wrist by NASA and then I
thought, and then I felt flattered that my singing of Happy Birthday
was actually considered music," he says.

Wheelock truly was a hit, stopping to take pictures with nearly
everyone who asked and signing program books and NASA photos.

He'll also be appearing in an upcoming video the ARRL is producing.

Now, what else happened at Dayton?

Well, imagine you're Hamvention chairman Michael Kalter W8CI, and you
get word Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski
is "in the house" and wants an audience.

No fooling!

Genachowski had a flight diverted to Dayton Friday night because of the
storms in the Midwest and was told it might be a problem finding a
hotel room because of the Hamvention.

Well, Genachowski found a room and decided to check out ham radio for
himself and this big gathering of hams from around the world.

As Kalter and others from the Dayton Hamvention committee tell it,
Genachowski spent about two hours at the gathering. He circulated among
many, including those in the main arena where he chatted with folks
about the advanced technology in use in amateur radio today.

The Dayton Hamvention committee estimated attendance of at least
20-thousand and say they got positive feedback from both the inside
vendors and those in the flea market.

One little glitch made this year's Hamvention a bit memorable.

Early in the afternoon, Hara Arena personnel began closing off all the
restrooms with yellow caution tape and directing people to
porta-potties outside.

Most didn't learn until later that major sewer line broke, sending its
contents into an area of the flea market.

Well, the affected flea market spots were moved, the leak was
temporarily fixed, and people came back Sunday for the final day of
events.

I'll be back next week with more on Hamvention 2011, including a
special interview with a YL who has been a big part of activities in
Dayton for 24 years. Next year, she's looking forward to 25 and she'll
clue us in on what she has in store.

For the Amateur Radio Newsline, from Dayton, I'm Mark Abramowicz, NT3V.

--

More on Hamvention 2011 next week. (ARNewsline(tm). NT3V)

**

RADIO POLITICS: COUNCIL OF EUROPE ADVISORY COMMITTEE RECOMMENDS RF
FREE ZONES

The Council of Europe's Parliamentary Assembly Committee on the
Environment released a report titled The Potential Dangers of
Electromagnetic Fields and Their Effect on the Environment. The paper,
made public on May 6th carries recommendations that, if adopted, could
have major implications for wireless carriers and, to a lesser extent,
broadcasters and any RF emitter in the European Union.

In regard to standards or threshold values for emissions of
electromagnetic fields of all types and frequencies, the Assembly that
prepared the report recommends that the "as low as reasonably
achievable" principle be applied. This, covering both the so-called
thermal effects as well as the biological effects of electromagnetic
emissions or radiation.

The report also is among the first to give credibility to a phenomena
that most scientists and researchers have long been skeptical of.
Paragraph 8.1.4 of the report recommends member states of the Council
of Europe pay particular attention to the needs of what it calls
electro-sensitive persons. These are people who claim that they
suffer from a syndrome of intolerance to electromagnetic fields. The
report suggests the introduction of special measures to protect these
people. This includes the creation of wave-free areas not covered by a
wireless network. What effect acceptance and implementation of the
recommendations would have on ham radio operations in Europe remain to
be determined. (RW)

**

BREAK 1

From the United States of America, We are the Amateur Radio Newsline,

heard on bulletin stations around the world including the N7SK0
repeater serving Kingmnan Arizona.

(5 sec pause here)

**

RADIO POLITICS: NY HAM DELEGATION CLAIMS 420 TO 450 MHZ TO BE REMOVED
FROM HR-607

A delegation of Amateur Radio operators from the Long Island and metro
New York City area say that they met the morning of May 19th with
Congressman Peter T. King of New York. King is the mastermind behind HR
607, which in its present form would sell off part of the 70 centimeter
band to help defray the cost of a proposed 700 MHz interoperable first
response emergency communications network.

According to the groups spokesman, Mike Lisenco, N2YBB, Congressman
King said that he fully understands and appreciates the importance of
Amateur Radio and the service it provides to the community. Also, that
he would see to the modification of the bill so that the 420 to 440 MHz
band would be excluded from the spectrum to be auctioned.

According to Lisenco, the Congressman went on to explain that it was
never his intention to remove the 70 centimeter band from Amateur use.
He also requested that the four ham delegation inform the Amateur Radio
community that 70 centimeters is not in jeopardy.

The delegation says that it operated independently of the ARRL's
organized effort to derail the portion of the 70 centimeter band that
would have put 420 to 440 MHz in jeopardy. In addition to Lisenco the
group included Peter Portanova, WB2OQQ, George Tranos, N2GA,, and Jim
Mezey, W2KFV.

As we go to air, its now it's a waiting game to see if Congressman King
can keep his promise to get 420 to 440 MHz removed from the measure. As
has been pointed out to Newsline by several who understand the U-S
legislative system, Representative King lost all control over the
content of HR-607 as soon as he submitted it for congressional law
making consideration. Because of this, all he can do is recommended
that it be changed but he cannot force this to happen.

In reality, HR-607 is now under the control of the Subcommittee on
Communications and Technology of the House Energy and Commerce
Committee. So until both he and the Subcommittee on Communications and
Technology act, the threat to the 420 to 440 MHz spectrum remains real,
and ham radio operators nationwide have to keep their eyes and ears
open on this one. (N2YBB)

**

RADIO POLITICS: SENATE VERSION OF HR 607 PROTECTS HAM RADIO

In a related story, the ARRL reports that on Thursday, May 19, Senators
Joe Lieberman and John McCain introduced Senate measure S 1040 which is
similar to HR 607. The big difference is that unlike HR 607, the
Senate version does not call for auctioning any portions of Amateur
Radio spectrum. (ARRL)

**

RESCUE RADIO: MISSION VIEJO CA USES RACES IN PREPAREDNESS EXERCISE

In an effort to keep itself safe and prepared for emergencies, Mission
Viejo, California city staff and members of the local ham radio
community recently participated in the Golden Guardian 2011 emergency
response exercise.

Golden Guardian 2011 was an emergency preparedness exercise sponsored
by the California Office of Homeland Security. As part of the detailed
training program, the city called into action the Mission Viejo Radio
Amateur Civil Emergency Services or RACES team. Like others of its
kind, Mission Viejo RACES is a volunteer group of amateur radio
operators that deploy as the city's backup emergency communications
system in the event that other methods of communication fail.

The Mission Viejo's exercise was part of a county-wide effort to test
emergency communications systems in the City's Emergency Operations
Center using a winter storm response scenario. Located at Mission
Viejo City Hall, the EOC is a secure facility where city department
heads are able to work in the event of a large disaster. Mission
Viejo's RACES is headed up by Charley Speelman, WA6RUZ. (K6HIV)

**

ENFORCEMENT: HAM FINED $4000 FOR OUT OF BAND OPERATION

The FCC has issued a Forfeiture Order in the mount of $4000 to Jose
Torres, N3TX, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This for what the
regulatory agency says was Torres willfully and repeatedly operating
his amateur station on an unauthorized frequency in violation of
Section 1.903 (a) of the Commission's Rules.

Back in 2009 the FCC issued an Notice of Apparent Liability to monetary
forfeiture to Torres after receiving a complaint of interference in
2008. Agents in the Enforcement Bureau's Philadelphia Office used
mobile direction finding equipment in April and June of that year to
determine the source of interference. Both times, they found that the
source was coming from Torres' residence and that the interference
consisted of unauthorized radio transmissions on 26.71 MHz.

Torres met with agents in the FCC's Philadelphia Office in February
2009 to respond to the findings in the Notice of Apparent Liability.
During the meeting, Torres claimed that he was not at home during the
alleged unauthorized operations in April and June of 2008. He also
submitted cell phone records in support of this claim. Torres also
presented the FCC with his most recent three years of federal tax
returns to support his request for a reduction based on an inability to
pay the $4000 forfeiture.

In its May 16th announcement affirming the Forfeiture Order, the FCC
stated that it found no merit to Torres' claim that he was not at home
when the unauthorized transmissions took place. It noted that the
cellular phone records prove nothing more than the fact that he was
using his cell phone and not the wire-line telephone located in his
home. And after reviewing Torres tax records the FCC declined to
reduce the amount of the forfeiture, based on Torres claim that was
unable to pay it. The FCC says that after having reviewed the
documentation Torres provided, it concludes that a reduction of the
forfeiture is not warranted.

Torres was given the customary 30 days to pay the monetary forfeiture
or to file a further appeal. (FCC)

**

NAMES IN THE NEWS: VA3WXM ELECTED RAC ONTARIO SOUTH DIRECTOR

Some names in the news. First up is Jeffrey Stewart, VA3WXM who was
recently elected as the Radio Amateurs of Canada Director for Ontario
South for the remainder of a two year term which ends December 31,
2011. Stewart emerged with the majority vote over Nelson Jenking,
VA3NDJ in a mail ballot closing May 13th for the Ontario South
Director's position. Stewart has been a certified amateur operator
since March 1999 and involved in many aspects of the hobby including a
recent term as President of the Mississauga Amateur Radio Club. (RAC)

**

NAMES IN THE NEWS: CQ ANNOUNCES HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES

And CQ magazine has announced its 2011 Hall of Fame inductees,
welcoming 12 new members into the CQ Amateur Radio Hall of Fame.

Topping this years list alphabetically is TV and Film producer Dave
Bell, W6AQ, who was chosen for this honor based on his deep involvement
in producing multiple amateur radio promotional videos over the past
several decades.

Also from Southern California is Nate Brightman, K6OSC. He is credited
with being the "spark" behind W6RO, the ham station aboard the Queen
Mary in Long Beach, California.

Rounding out the California contingent is Cardinal Roger Mahony, W6QYI,
the Archbishop Emeritus of Los Angeles. He was recognized for his
leadership as an advocate for immigration reform.

Others recognized include Ron Moorefield, W8ILC of Kettering, Ohio.
Since its inception, Moorefield has been one of the guiding lights of
the Dayton Hamvention. He was also recognized for his work as a
coordinator of the cross-country 1984 Olympic Torch Relay.

There was also one each member inducted into the CQ DX Hall of Fame and
the CQ Contest Hall of Fame. The 2011 inductee to the CQ DX Hall of
Fame is Michael J. McGirr, K9AJ. McGirr has been a leading DXpeditioner
who has operated literally from the ends of the Earth over nearly 30
years. The 2011 inductee to the CQ Contest Hall of Fame is John
Sluymer, VE3EJ, who has been an active contester and DXer since 1973.
He is a founding member and current president of Contest Club Ontario.

The CQ Amateur Radio Hall of Fame honors those individuals, whether
licensed hams or not, who have made significant contributions to
amateur radio; and those amateurs who have made significant
contributions either to amateur radio, to their professional careers or
to some other aspect of life on our planet. The CQ Contest and DX
Halls of Fame honor those amateurs who not only excel in personal
performance in these major areas of amateur radio but who also "give
back" to the hobby in outstanding ways. Formal inductions to the CQ
Contest and DX Halls of Fame took place at last weeks Dayton
Hamvention. A complete list of this years inductees is on-line at
www.cq-amateur-radio.com. (CQ)

**

BREAK 2

This is ham radio news for today's radio amateur. From the United
States of America, We are the Amateur Radio Newsline with links to the
world from our only official website at www.arnewsline.org and being
relayed by the volunteer services of the following radio amateur:

(5 sec pause here)

**

HAM RADIO IN SPACE: ISS EXPEDITION 27 CREW RETURNS TO EARTH

International Space Station Expedition 27 Commander Dmitry Kondratyev
along with Flight Engineers Cady Coleman, KC5ZTH and Paolo Nespoli,
IZ0JPA safely landed their Soyuz spacecraft in Kazakhstan on Monday,
June 23rd wrapping up a five-month stay aboard the orbital outpost.

Before making its descent to Earth, the Soyuz backed 600 feet away from
the ISS after which Nespoli took the first still images and video of a
space shuttle docked to the station. The orbiting laboratory had to
rotate 130 degrees to provide an ideal view for the historic imagery.

Russian recovery teams were on hand to help the crew exit the Soyuz and
adjust to gravity. Kondratyev was to return to the Gagarin Cosmonaut
Training Center in Star City, outside of Moscow, while Coleman and
Nespoli will fly directly to the Johnson Space Center in Houston,
Texas. (Southgate)

**

HAM RADIO NEAR SPACE: EOSS TO FLY BALLOON NUMBER 164

Edge of Space Sciences will be flying its 164th stratospheric balloon
flight on Saturday May 28th at 7:10 Mountain Standard Time out of
Windsor, Colorado. This flight will be in support of Colorado
University Boulder's Space Grant Consortium. The tentative payload
frequencies are 147.555 MHz with a CW I-D of AE0SS for the beacon and
144.340 MHz for APRS tracking using the call AE0SS-11. For the latest
information please check the Edge of Space Sciences website at
www.eoss.org. (KC0UUO)

**

RADIO FROM SPACE: TWIN VOYAGERS SET TO ENTER INTERSTELLAR SPACE

More than 30 years after they left Earth, NASA's twin Voyager probes
are now at the edge of the solar system and set to enter Interstellar
space. And with each passing day they are radioing back information
that to scientists is both unsettling and thrilling. Jeff Clark,
K8JAC, reports:

--

Voyager 2 launched on August 20, 1977, from Cape Canaveral, Florida
aboard a Titan-Centaur rocket. On September 5, Voyager 1 launched,

The Voyager spacecraft became the third and fourth human spacecraft to
fly beyond all the planets in our solar system. Pioneers 10 and 11
preceded Voyager in outstripping the gravitational attraction of the
Sun but on February 17, 1998, Voyager 1 passed Pioneer 10 to become the
most distant human-made object in space.

No one knows exactly how many more miles the Voyagers must travel
before they pop into interstellar space. Most researchers believe,
however, that the end is near. The two Voyagers are currently within
the Heliosheath at the end of the galaxy. It is believed to be 3 to 4
billion miles in thickness. According to one NASA researcher, that
means they could be out within five years or so.

I'm Jeff Clark, K8JAC

--

For more information about the Voyager spacecraft, visit
voyager.jpl.nasa.gov and www.nasa.gov/voyager (NASA)

**

DX

In DX, HA0HW will be active again stroke SV8 from Thassos Island
through June 5th. He will operate on the HF bands and 6 meters. QSL
via his home callsign preferably through the bureau.

TJ3AY has been issued special callsign TJ3IC to be used through months
end to commemorate the 51st anniversary of the independence of
Cameroon. QSL via F5LGE.

Three Czech Republic operators will be on the Island of Crete until
months end signing portable SV9. They also plan a few side trips to
offshore islands, which will count as IOTA EU-187. QSL this one as
directed on the air.

Lastly, The Pacific-DXer's Web page is reporting that plans are
progressing for the upcoming C21AA DXpedition to take place between
November 13th and December 5th. Operations will be led by VK4FW, with
liaison support by VK4AN. They expect to have at least 3 stations
active on all bands 160 through 6 meters using CW/SSB/RTTY/PSK31. Also,
a dedicated station will be set up on 6 meters running in the beacon
mode. QSL Managers are the Pacific DXers, or by the Bureau via VK4FW.

(Above from various DX news sources)

**

THAT FINAL ITEM: REGISTRATION OPEN FOR USA NATIONAL ARDF CHAMPIONSHIPS

And finally this week, registration is now open for the biggest event
of the year for on-foot hidden transmitter hunters. September 16
through 18 are the dates for USA's national championships of Amateur
Radio Direction Finding, or ARDF. Newsline's Joe Moell K0OV,has the
details:

--

Who are the best transmitter hunters in the country? That's what we'll
find out when the Eleventh USA ARDF Championships get under way near

This year, the USA Championships are an international event, combined
with the International Amateur Radio Union Region 2 ARDF Championships.
If past events are any indication, there will be plenty of
international experts in the sport on hand, so you'll have a chance to
learn foxtailing tips and techniques from the very best. Positions on
ARDF Team USA to next year's World Championships in Serbia are open, so
perhaps you can earn a spot for yourself. We're looking for good
candidates in all age/gender categories, so encourage your kids and
grandkids to give it a try.

If you're new to the sport, arrive two days early for a pre-event
training camp, where experts will teach you what you need to know to
find those transmitters in the woods.

It may seem like September is a long way away, but the organizers need
an accurate head count very soon so they can plan for the buses to take
the competitors to the competition sites. So if you're thinking about
participating, get the registration form from the Web and send it in
right away, or contact the organizers by e-mail to let them know you
want to come. There's more information about the event and links to
the organizers at www.homingin.com. That's one word "homingin"
---homingin.com. At that site you'll also find lots more about
transmitter hunting, including equipment ideas and techniques. View
photos of past USA Championships to get a good idea what to expect.

From southern California, where there's some kind of transmitter hunt

almost every weekend, this is Joe Moell, K0OV, for Amateur Radio
Newsline.

--

Again that website Joe mentioned is www.homingin.com. (K0OV,
ARNewsline(tm))

**

NEWSCAST CLOSE

With thanks to Alan Labs, AMSAT, the ARRL, the CGC Communicator, CQ
Magazine, the FCC, the Ohio Penn DX Bulletin, Radio Netherlands, Rain,
the RSGB, the Southgate News and Australia's WIA News, that's all from
the Amateur Radio Newsline(tm). Our e-mail address is Newsline (at)
arnewsline (dot) org. More information is available at Amateur Radio
Newsline's(tm) only official website located at www.arnewsline.org.
You can also write to us or support us at Amateur Radio Newsline(tm),
28197 Robin Avenue, Santa Clarita California, 91350

And a reminder that the nominating period for the year 2011 Amateur
Radio Newsline Young Ham of the Year Award is now open. Created by
Newsline back in 1986, this award is offered to recognize one young
United States or Canadian radio amateur age 18 or younger for his or
her contributions to society through Amateur Radio.

As in years past, the 2011 recipient will receive an expense paid trip
to the Huntsville Hamfest in Huntsville Alabama courtesy of
Vertex-Standard Corporation which produces Yaesu brand amateur radio
gear. Vertex-Standard will also present this years winner with a
special ham radio related gift. CQ Magazine will again treat the
recipient to a week at Spacecamp-Huntsville. We at Amateur Radio
Newsline will present the winner with a plaque honoring his or her
achievements.

All nominations and materials required by the official rules must be
received by ARNewsline before June 30, 2011. A downloadable nominating
form is at our website at www.arnewsline.org. A nominating form can
also be obtained by sending a request along with a self addressed
stamped envelope to the Young Ham of the Year Award in care of Amateur
Radio Newsline, Inc. 28197 Robin Avenue, Santa Clarita California
91350.

Again, the cutoff date for these years Young Ham of the Year Award
nominations is June 30th. We ask you to do your part by nominating a
young ham who has done something special related to ham radio. The
nomination form is at www.arnewsline.org.

For now, with Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF, at the editor's desk, I'm, saying
73 and we thank you for listening.

Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) is Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.