Old December 4th 16, 12:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.info

Default eHam.net News for Saturday 3 December 2016

eHam.net News

When Power's Out and Phones are Down, Who You Gonna Call?

http://www.eham.net/articles/38159

When the power's out and the phones are down, who you gonna call? Bundy's
WICEN. The Wireless Institute Civil Emergency Network have been busy
preparing to combat any wild weather that rolls in this storm season. WICEN
is a division of the Bundaberg Amateur Radio Club and has collaborated with
the SES to ensure communications remain operational in the event of major
storms, floods or other natural disasters. "While we aren't the first
responders or the people suspended from helicopters, WICEN members are the
behind-the-scenes people who work to keep communications going," Gail
Lidden, deputy controller for WICEN Bundaberg, said. "Emergency evacuation
centres need communications and it's vital that an agency caring for
evacuees is in touch with the outside world." David Nebe, a WICEN
volunteer, said at this time of year more practice was undertaken with the
SES and Bundaberg Regional Council to sow they could aid in an emergency
situation.

VK6WIA -- NewsWest, 4 December 2016:

http://www.eham.net/articles/38158

In the news this week we take a close look at
the dysfunction that is paralysing the
Wireless Institute of Australia. We report on
what appears to be financial mis-management,
lack of procedure, substantial financial
losses and give you an overview how this all
came to be.

Foundations of Amateur Radio -- #78:

http://www.eham.net/articles/38157

The folly of throwing away cruft from my desk
last week caused concern for my mental
health. Fortunately the bearing lives. This
week I look at ball-bearings, no, antennas
and how an Amateur License helps you
understand the drivel that manufacturers use
to describe their product and expose some of
the fun and games associated with helping a
fellow spectrum user.