Old January 10th 17, 05:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.info

Default QRZ Forums - Amateur Radio News for Tuesday 10 January 2017

Amateur Radio News

Podcast: Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 82

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thre...ode-82.549447/

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your
grandmother."

So, do we really understand our hobby to the point where we can make that
explanation? I think not, more to the point, neither do you. The Internet
and the airwaves are full of explanations of how things in Amateur Radio
work and many of them disagree with each other, sometimes loudly.

This week I take a look at how our understanding of our hobby might be
improved.

Foundations of...

Podcast: Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 82

A new way to compare HF antennas

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thre...tennas.550842/

Testing HF antennas is a tricky thing to do. Simple on-air test are

seldom conclusive and are more often than not, they are just plain

confusing. SOTABEAMS has come up with a completely new way to test

antennas, locations and to monitor propagation using the WSPR system.

SOTABEAMS system consists of two parts; WSPRlite a WSPR beacon with

electronic power control and DXplorer.net a data analysis website.

WSPRlite sends a test transmission which is...

A new way to compare HF antennas

HamRadioReviews: DMR Range Test - Baofeng DM-5R [Video]

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thre...-video.548561/

This is the first in a series of 3 DMR range test videos. In this video, I
am testing the range of the Baofeng DM-5R from two locations.

Here is the video, enjoy: https://wp.me/p800qu-do

Ham Radio Reviews is my blog about amateur radio gear, reviews and more.
Dont forget to checkout...

HamRadioReviews: DMR Range Test - Baofeng DM-5R [Video]

GigaParts sold out of Hytera ham radios, now offering special pricing on
land mobile substitutes.

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thre...itutes.548126/

[/IMG]

In less than three weeks, GigaParts has sold out of the amateur DMR radios
from Hytera that were allotted for the market test. With the information we
learned, Hytera is working on improvements and features that will be
released in the coming months. Through December 31st, GigaParts is offering
discounts to ham radio operators on these land mobile models:...

GigaParts sold out of Hytera ham radios, now offering special pricing on
land mobile substitutes.

12 January ISS contact to 3 schools in Belgium: Audible only in USA

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thre...in-usa.550775/

12 January contact ISS with 3 schools in Belgium !

An International Space Station radio contact has been planned for astronaut
Thomas Pesquet KG5FYG/FX0ISS with Collège Saint-Guibert, Gembloux, Belgium
and Euro Space Center, Transinne, Belgium.

The event is scheduled Thursday January 12, 2017 at approximately 13:47
UTC , which is 14:47 CEWT.

The telebridge contact will be operated by K6DUE, located in Maryland, USA.

REMEMBER contact audible...

12 January ISS contact to 3 schools in Belgium: Audible only in USA

100 Watts and a Wi Episode 80

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thre...ode-80.550763/

On this episode, Christian returns to the airwaves after a 9 day hiatus.
Well also listen to a recording of a young lady working from Hawaii during
Kids Day. Did this YL captivate K0STH for over two hours? Yes! Also, Winter
Field Day is coming. Steve, WA5SAT takes us inside for a deeper look at
this special event. Plus, we announce the winner of the book, Morse Code:
Breaking the Barrier". All of this and more on this edition of 100 Watts
and a Wire.

+++...

100 Watts and a Wi Episode 80

K7AGE Shows How To Install Powerpole Connectors

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thre...ectors.550755/

Randy introduces the Anderson Powerpole connector. He covers, where to
obtain the connectors, various pin and wire sizes, and proper connector
orientation that has become the standard for ham radio use. Randy shows
both how to solder and crimp the connectors. If you have not used or are
thinking about using Powerpole connectors, then you need to watch this
video.