Old November 22nd 18, 01:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.space,uk.radio.amateur,free.uk.amateur-radio,rec.radio.info

Default [AMSAT-UK] Happy 5th Birthday FUNcube-1

AMSAT-UK

Happy 5th Birthday FUNcube-1

https://amsat-uk.org/2018/11/21/happ...day-funcube-1/

First signals received from FUNcube-1

Five years ago, on November 21, 2013, FUNcube-1 launched into space. Soon,
we hope to welcome ESEO (FUNcube-4) and JY1SAT (FUNcube-6) into space. A
remarkable achievement by the radio amateur volunteers of AMSAT-UK and
AMSAT-NL.
Happy Birthday FUNcube-1.

In 2010, we got the first prototypes working and got zero packet errors
when testing the downlink chain!

In 2012, we were assembling the flight model in the ISISpace clean room.
ISISpace has been the satellite integrator for this mission and continues
to partner with AMSAT-UK on multiple missions.

Another big milestone straight after assembly of the spacecraft: the
antenna deployment test! During this test, we pretend the satellite is in
space for the first time, and check that it successfully starts up and
starts transmitting to the world.

After the deployment testing, the antennas need to be stowed again, and
then we arm the satellite for launch and place it in its deployment
canister together with our fellow passengers HiNCube and ZACUBE-1. In this
case the ISISpace ISIPOD was used.

Next up: transport to the launch base, fitting to the rocket, and LAUNCH!
FUNcube was launched 21 November 2013 at 07:10 UTC on a Dnepr rocket from
Yasny Launch Base. Thanks ISILaunch for taking us up on ISILaunch03.

Since then, we have had FUNcube systems in UKube-1, QB50p1, Nayif-1 and the
upcoming ESEO and JY1SAT spacecraft, bringing the total FUNcube payloads
launched for STEM education and amateur radio to six.

In 5 years, FUNcube has transmitted for 157,766,400 seconds, with a 256kB
frame every 5 seconds, equating to approx 7.5GB of data. Our ground network
has recovered 1.7GB. On average, we see 105 daily listeners, receiving 3688
frames per day. At minimum, we still had 40 listeners.
Users receiving FUNcube-1 telemetry and uploading to Data Warehouse

We were very conservative with our power budget. The battery is almost
always full, and quickly charges up after eclipse. The solar panel current
Ipv does not show significant degradation. the ISI Space solar panels and
GOMspace EPS are doing a wonderful job.
FUNcube-1 Solar Flux versus Power Generation

On board temperatures have been at maximum 43.2°C, and at minimum -26.7°C,
disregarding some outliers caused by the satellite rebooting. We have had
two periods of continuous illumination, which can be seen by the
temperature rises.
FUNcube-1 Temperature

Wouter Weggelaar PA3WEG

FUNcube-1 (AO-73) information
https://amsat-uk.org/satellites/comm...ons/funcube-1/

ESEO launch information and Dashboard

https://amsat-uk.org/2018/11/21/eseo-information/

ESEO in anechoic chamber at ESTEC with Jonas Holtstiege and Pete Bartram
image credit David G0MRF

The launch of the ESEO spacecraft has now been confirmed to be on board the
SSO-A flight from Vandenberg.

The ESEO microsatellite includes a FUNcube payload which will provide
similar telemetry to its predecessors but will have a more powerful
transmitter and thus be even easier to hear. For amateurs, this payload
will also provide a single channel L/V transponder for FM. These downlinks
will be transmitted on 145.895 MHz and the FM transponder uplink will be on
1263.5 MHz with a 67Hz PLL tone required.

A new Dashboard has been developed for this mission and a finalised
pre-launch version will available for download within the next few days. In
the meantime here is the AMSAT FUNcube Payload Downlink Data document. This
gives all the information required to decode the telemetry
ESEO_Downlink_Data_1_21a

The new Dashboard will operate in exactly the same manner as those
developed for previous missions and general set-up information can be
downloaded he Dashboard Guidance

A new Data Warehouse has also been created. This can be used to view the
telemetry from ALL of the FUNcube missions: http://data2.amsat-uk.org/

We expect that the FUNcube telemetry transmitter will become operational
after the launch and subsequent to the completion of initial de-tumbling of
the spacecraft.

Thanks for your valuable support for this mission!

More information on ESEO is available from ESA Education’s website

https://www.esa.int/Education/ESEO

Information on other SSO-A spacecraft with amateur radio payloads

https://amsat-uk.org/2018/11/14/ssoa...io-satellites/