Old March 30th 04, 06:18 AM
Mike Terry

Rich,

Generally in the UK we have a relaxed and permissive attitude and on air
presenters do not try to make fools of those who 'phone in.

Mike.

Old March 30th 04, 06:18 AM
Paul Jensen

"Richard Cranium" wrote in message

He is in a bad state. He is a drug offender and could face prison
time. He should, given what he has said about drug offenders in the
past. I have to wonder why he needed all those painkillers when he has
such a cushy job in radio.

A cushy job in radio prevents pain?

Old March 30th 04, 06:18 AM
David Eduardo

"Richard Cranium" wrote in message
Charles Hobbs wrote in message
Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
[...] new liberal talk show network

What is not widely publicized about this new network is that it's on a
bunch of technically-weak stations. None of them are competitive, from
a signal standpoint, with the stations that air the right-of-center
programs.

The LA station on 1580 is a 50kw, that dumps most of its power over the
Pacific Ocean (to protect stations in Mexico....)

If you're referring to the former KDAY in Santa Monica, it has a
decent signal to the North but does have to protect the Mexican (used
to be XEDM, I believe) on the same frequency.

It is only moderately listenable in the San Fernando Valley in the daytime,
and virtually useless there at night. That is to the North.

1580 in the US protects, if I am not mistaken, the B assignments in both the
US and Canada.

And XEDM in Hermosillo, a non-directional 50 kw station, virtually wipes it
out in the fringe areas at night.

Old March 30th 04, 06:18 AM
David Eduardo

"Richard Cranium" wrote in message

I wonder if the new station, Air America, will be welcomed to widen the
dialogue. Will advertisers aim to the liberal market?

Probably not.

Advertisers aim at large audiences. They seldom care about political
opinions.

Old March 30th 04, 10:14 PM
Rich Wood

On 30 Mar 2004 05:18:53 GMT, "Mike Terry"
wrote:

Generally in the UK we have a relaxed and permissive attitude and on air
presenters do not try to make fools of those who 'phone in.

Unfortunately, making fools of callers is what drives most US Talk
Radio. We get a reprieve on the weekends when the "lifestyle" shows
predominate. It's hard for a pet show to make mean-spiriited fun of
someone who chooses a pig as a pet. You can criticize our President,
but keep your opinions to yourself when it comes to our pets. In this
case, the pig is smarter.

Rich

Old April 1st 04, 12:06 AM
Tom Betz

"Mike Terry" wrote in news:c46stt$giu$1
@xuxa.iecc.com:

I wonder if the new station, Air America, will be welcomed to widen the
dialogue. Will advertisers aim to the liberal market?

So far today, the only advertising has been PSAs, promos for other
programs, and an XM trade. And Franken pushing his books, of course.

G. Gordon Liddy calling in from his show to congratulate Franken on HIS
show is a nice touch.

FWIW, Air America is streaming at:

http://play.rbn.com/?url=airam/airam/live/live.rm

off of http://airamericaradio.com.

--
|I always wanted to be someone,| Tom Betz, Generalist |
|but now I think I should have | Want to send me email? |