Old March 28th 04, 05:02 PM
Mike Terry

Default US talk radio

Very long feature just finished on "Broadcasting House" on Radio 4 this
morning , about right wing and left wing stations in the US and the up and
coming liberal station.

Played air checks of various broadcasters.

Are these what used to be called shock jocks? They are more shocking than
ours in the UK!

Rush Limbaugh seems to be in a sad state, his catchphrase is "Talent on loan
from God"!

G Gordon Liddy seems very opinionated.

I quote from the programme "radio is to the right".

I wonder if the new station, Air America, will be welcomed to widen the
dialogue. Will advertisers aim to the liberal market?

Mike

Old March 28th 04, 11:20 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Mike Terry wrote:
Very long feature just finished on "Broadcasting House" on Radio 4 this
morning , about right wing and left wing stations in the US and the up and
coming liberal station.

Played air checks of various broadcasters.

Are these what used to be called shock jocks? They are more shocking than
ours in the UK!

Rush Limbaugh seems to be in a sad state, his catchphrase is "Talent on loan
from God"!

G Gordon Liddy seems very opinionated.

I quote from the programme "radio is to the right".

I wonder if the new station, Air America, will be welcomed to widen the
dialogue. Will advertisers aim to the liberal market?

What is not widely publicized about this new network is that it's on a
bunch of technically-weak stations. None of them are competitive, from
a signal standpoint, with the stations that air the right-of-center
programs.

No, "shock jocks" refer to attempts to shock with sexual innuendo.
"Shock" announcers generally don't have any particular political agenda.

IMHO advertisers will buy any program that people who buy their products
listen to.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old March 29th 04, 07:27 AM
Charles Hobbs

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
[...] new liberal talk show network

What is not widely publicized about this new network is that it's on a
bunch of technically-weak stations. None of them are competitive, from
a signal standpoint, with the stations that air the right-of-center
programs.

The LA station on 1580 is a 50kw, that dumps most of its power over the
Pacific Ocean (to protect stations in Mexico....)

Old March 29th 04, 07:27 AM
Charles Hobbs

Mike Terry wrote:
Very long feature just finished on "Broadcasting House" on Radio 4 this
morning , about right wing and left wing stations in the US and the up and
coming liberal station.

Played air checks of various broadcasters.

Who did they play (besides Rush and Liddy?)

Are these what used to be called shock jocks? They are more shocking than
ours in the UK!

I don't know....I heard some downright bizarre stuff on "TalkSport" one
night in London!

Rush Limbaugh seems to be in a sad state, his catchphrase is "Talent on loan
from God"!

He's been saying that for years...

G Gordon Liddy seems very opinionated.

I quote from the programme "radio is to the right".

I wonder if the new station, Air America, will be welcomed to widen the
dialogue.

I don't know. They've selected four stations (LA, NY, Chicago and I think
San Francisco). None of the stations has particularly good coverage....

Old March 29th 04, 05:16 PM
Richard Cranium

Charles Hobbs wrote in message ...
Mike Terry wrote:
[...]

What are the other stations?

I would imagine that it's rather difficult to find available outlets
in the major markets for an unproved product, when the big stations
already run the rightwing stuff.

Old March 29th 04, 05:16 PM
Richard Cranium

"Mike Terry" wrote in message ...
Very long feature just finished on "Broadcasting House" on Radio 4 this
morning , about right wing and left wing stations in the US and the up and
coming liberal station.

Played air checks of various broadcasters.

Are these what used to be called shock jocks? They are more shocking than
ours in the UK!

Rush Limbaugh seems to be in a sad state, his catchphrase is "Talent on loan
from God"!

He is in a bad state. He is a drug offender and could face prison
time. He should, given what he has said about drug offenders in the
past. I have to wonder why he needed all those painkillers when he has
such a cushy job in radio.

G Gordon Liddy seems very opinionated.

He always was (so is Rush). Liddy's also a convicted felon; one of the
"Watergate" conspirators.

I quote from the programme "radio is to the right".

The people with money are generally conservative, so that's where they
target the ads.

I wonder if the new station, Air America, will be welcomed to widen the
dialogue. Will advertisers aim to the liberal market?

Probably not.

Mike

Old March 29th 04, 05:16 PM
Mike Terry

Mike Terry wrote:
Very long feature just finished on "Broadcasting House" on Radio 4 this
morning , about right wing and left wing stations in the US and the up

and
coming liberal station.

Played air checks of various broadcasters.

Who did they play (besides Rush and Liddy?)

yes I think so, Mike.

Old March 29th 04, 05:16 PM
Richard Cranium

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
[...] new liberal talk show network

What is not widely publicized about this new network is that it's on a
bunch of technically-weak stations. None of them are competitive, from
a signal standpoint, with the stations that air the right-of-center
programs.

The LA station on 1580 is a 50kw, that dumps most of its power over the
Pacific Ocean (to protect stations in Mexico....)

If you're referring to the former KDAY in Santa Monica, it has a
decent signal to the North but does have to protect the Mexican (used
to be XEDM, I believe) on the same frequency.

Old March 29th 04, 06:28 PM
Rich Wood

On 28 Mar 2004 16:02:05 GMT, "Mike Terry"
wrote:

Are these what used to be called shock jocks? They are more shocking than
ours in the UK!

Rush Limbaugh seems to be in a sad state, his catchphrase is "Talent on loan
from God"!

I'm afraid the BBC is stuck in the last century. Rush Limbaugh has
been using that slogan almost since day one well over a decade ago.
It's a little like saying WINS is in a sad state because they've used
"Give us 22 minutes and we'll give you the world." Sometimes a slogan
stands up to the test of time. Advertising agencies have orgasmic
incedents when they discover one of their slogans enters popular
culture.

G Gordon Liddy seems very opinionated.

Duh!

I quote from the programme "radio is to the right".

Duh!

I wonder if the new station, Air America, will be welcomed to widen the
dialogue.

First, a very small percentage of the population will have access to
Air America programming compared with its conservative competition.
It'll take many years to develop the coverage enjoyed by Limbaugh
(600+ for Limbaugh. Fewer than 20 marginal signals for Air America).
The conservatives already have the best signals on well branded
stations.

New York will be very difficult because their outlet is solidly
branded as a Black station, both Black talk and Dominican music. The
WLIB heritage (sadly) will have to be destroyed before a new one can
be created. That'll require a call letter change and very expensive
promotion. Their competition will be WABC. WABC does a lot of transit
promotion and television during important rating surveys. WABC and
KFI, Los Angeles compete for the title of the most listened-to Talk
station in the nation.

I have the feeling that Al Franken, in partifcular, will make it an
"us vs. them" atmosphere. If he does, it'll be a wonderful promotional
medium for conservative stations. The more he mentions O'Reilly and
Limbaugh the more Air America should charge Premiere and Westwood One
for advertising time. I say that sadly because I really like Al
Franken and Randi Rhodes.

Will advertisers aim to the liberal market?

By and large advertisers avoid any kind of controversy. That's why
Laura Schlessinger lost 30 million in billing over her slam at the gay
community and Michael Savage threatened to sue everyone on earth for
complaining to his advertisers for something similar (excuse: "I
didn't know the mic was on"). Large network advertisers avoid
controversy like the plague. It doesn't matter if the controversy is
on the right or the left.

I can't believe the BBC is just noticing that Talk Radio in the US is
right wing.

Rich

Old March 30th 04, 06:18 AM
Charles Hobbs

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
[...] new liberal talk show network

What is not widely publicized about this new network is that it's on a
bunch of technically-weak stations. None of them are competitive, from
a signal standpoint, with the stations that air the right-of-center
programs.

The LA station on 1580 is a 50kw, that dumps most of its power over the
Pacific Ocean (to protect stations in Mexico....)

If you're referring to the former KDAY in Santa Monica, it has a
decent signal to the North but does have to protect the Mexican (used
to be XEDM, I believe) on the same frequency.

How far north? It doesn't seem to put much of a signal into the
San Fernando Valley during the day (at night, all bets are off)....