Old February 25th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Formula for Q of resonant circuit?

I am trying to find the formula used to calculate the Q of a
parallel R-L-C resonant circuit. There are a number of questions in
the Amateur Extra test pool[1] that ask this and the formula that I
have does not produce the correct answers.
I have been using Q = (2 * Pi * f * L) / R, but the questions in
section E5G of the test pool don't seem to work with that. The
answers that are produced by that formula are among the
"distracters," suggesting that I am making an obvious error that they
expect some people to make.

[1] http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/2002_Extra_Pool3.txt

----
M J Dowden
PGP key: http://www.panix.com/~mjdowden/keys.shtml
No Microsoft products were used in the
preparation or transmission of this message