RadioBanter

-   Moderated (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/)
-   -   PRB-1 and CCNR's (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/170532-prb-1-ccnrs.html)

KC4UAI March 10th 07 05:15 AM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

I was just reading on the ARRL's website where the FCC has once again
declined to include CCNR's (Deed restrictions) in it's "must be
accommodating to Ham Radio" rules. I was wondering if anybody knew
much about the organization that petitioned the FCC?

I was also wondering if somebody has re-introduced the bill into the
new congress that would force the FCC to include CCNRs in it's PRB-1
pre-emption rules? I'm just guessing but it seems that the previous
bill that was introduced, got shuttled to committee and died there.

This is important to me because I live in a deed restricted community
with a very picky HOA.

-= bob =-

Bill Horne, W1AC March 10th 07 10:38 AM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

KC4UAI wrote:
I was just reading on the ARRL's website where the FCC has once again
declined to include CCNR's (Deed restrictions) in it's "must be
accommodating to Ham Radio" rules. I was wondering if anybody knew
much about the organization that petitioned the FCC?

I was also wondering if somebody has re-introduced the bill into the
new congress that would force the FCC to include CCNRs in it's PRB-1
pre-emption rules? I'm just guessing but it seems that the previous
bill that was introduced, got shuttled to committee and died there.

This is important to me because I live in a deed restricted community
with a very picky HOA.

-= bob =-

Bob,

IANALB, the way it was explained to me is that Congress is very
reluctant to intercede in what is, in essence, a contractual matter, and
I think that reluctance is justified.

I think homeowners are justified in seeking relief from _government_
regulation of antennas, since such rules are not the sort of thing local
governments do well. Deed restrictions, however, are something I think
the government should stay out of unless there's a _very_ compelling
public interest.

YMMV.

73, W1AC

--
Bill Horne, W1AC
Life Memeber, ARRL

(Remove "73" and change top level domain for direct replies)

[email protected] March 10th 07 01:55 PM

PRB-1 and CC&R's

On Mar 10, 5:38�am, "Bill Horne, W1AC"
wrote:
KC4UAI wrote:
[...]

Bill,

I think there *is* a compelling public interest in the anti-antenna
regulations contained in many CC&Rs.

First off, those regulations have become "boilerplate"
in many if not most new construction since the 1970s.
The percentage of "no antenna" homes keeps growing
with time.

Second, deed restrictions and covenants are a form of
self-perpetuating contract that the buyer must accept
or not buy the house, even though the buyer does not
get anything tangible from them.

Third, many of the "no-antennas" clauses are overly
restrictive in that they cover antennas that are not
visible to the neighbors, or are no more visually
intrusive than the utility wires and poles. It is simply
illogical that a nearly invisible wire antenna somehow
ruins the neighborhood, but the multiple poles and wires
for power, cable TV, telephone, etc, do not.

I am not against reasonable regulations, zoning, and codes.
IMHO, many anti-antenna CC&Rs are simply not reasonable.
They are an attempt to get around the limits of government power by
means of private contracts.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Alan WA4SCA March 10th 07 04:11 PM

PRB-1 and CC&R's

Hi,

Some time back, I did some looking around for an Arizona retirement
home. In an area with approximately 100k population, I saw exactly 2
real HF stations with a true antenna farm in a week. Both were owned
by people whose family had been there before the boom, and were
grandfathered. Except for that, I saw a low dipole, a couple of
flagpoles which were disguised verticals, and one StepIR vertical
standing proudly in someone's back yard. That turned out to be an
interesting story, since the residents of the new development had
voted not to form a HOA. So while it violated the CC&Rs, there was no
organization to enforce it.

Being a place where they prided themselves on being "rustic," they had
instituted some very tight zoning on antennas of every sort. However,
the real problem, from a ham standpoint, was posed by the HOAs and
CC&Rs. They were so standard and pervasive that except for some very
old areas, there was no place to buy which did not have them. As a
buyer, you had no input to their formulation, and because they are
considered private agreements, you had little appeal if you could not
get a waiver from the HOA. According to the locals, you basically
worked 2 meters, used a stealth antenna, or bought a house out in the
county. Way out.

I am all in favor of allowing people to pick an area where the
environment is congenial to them. However, when there may as well be
a sign on the city limits saying "Hams Not Welcome," even if that is
not the intend, it may be time to at least have a vigorous discussion
of the formulations of CC&Rs. As for me, I decided to stay were I am,
where they consider regulation the last resort, not the first.

--
Alan
WA4SCA

Cecil Moore March 10th 07 04:12 PM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

KC4UAI wrote:
This is important to me because I live in a deed restricted community
with a very picky HOA.

Did you previously agree to the restrictions?
If so, it is likely a legally enforceable contract
between you and the other party.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Howard Lester March 10th 07 05:35 PM

PRB-1 and CC&R's

wrote

I think there *is* a compelling public interest in the anti-antenna
regulations contained in many CC&Rs.

First off, those regulations have become "boilerplate"
in many if not most new construction since the 1970s.
The percentage of "no antenna" homes keeps growing
with time.

However, a number of years ago the FCC prevented HOA's from restricting the
use of outdoor TV antennas and 3' satellite dishes unless the home is in a
"historic district" or is on a list of "historic homes." The only
restriction I know of otherwise is, as I recall, that the HOA may restricted
the antenna's height to no more than 12 feet above the roof line.

Yes, I know some HOA's prevent even the use of a 2 meter "J pole" taped to
the inside of the owner's window....

Howard N7SO

Bill Gunshannon[_2_] March 10th 07 05:35 PM

PRB-1 and CC&R's

In article ,
Alan WA4SCA writes:
[...]

Having not been actively involved in ham radio for several years
(actually, more than a decade) I am amazed to see the same arguments
still going on. This one in particular.

Hams make up approximately 00.2% of the US population. And, decreasing
every year. Why would you be surprised that more and more places don't
want structures they consider unsightly in their neighborhoods.

As has already been stated (and was stated when we argued this more
than a decade ago) CC&R's are contractual matters and you are not
going to see laws to overturn or limit them. If you move into an
area that doesn't allow antennas it was your decision. The argument
that you can't find a place that allows them is bogus. What you
can't find is a place that is willing to operate by your terms.
If you want an antenna farm buy property where that is allowed. If
you want to live in developed neighborhood, then either build one
full of hams or accept that your neighbors don't share your idea
of aesthetics.

bill
KB3YV

| and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include std.disclaimer.h

Cecil Moore March 10th 07 06:37 PM

PRB-1 and CC&R's

Howard Lester wrote:
However, a number of years ago the FCC prevented HOA's from restricting the
use of outdoor TV antennas and 3' satellite dishes unless the home is in a
"historic district" or is on a list of "historic homes." The only
restriction I know of otherwise is, as I recall, that the HOA may restricted
the antenna's height to no more than 12 feet above the roof line.

Here's what Texas Law says:

"Tex. Loc. Gov't Code Ann. § 250.002 (Vernon 2005)
§ 250.002. REGULATION OF AMATEUR RADIO ANTENNAS.

(a) A municipality or county may not enact or enforce an ordinance or
order that does not comply with the ruling of the Federal Communications
Commission in "Amateur Radio Preemption, 101 FCC 2nd 952 (1985)" or a
regulation related to amateur radio service adopted under 47 C.F.R. Part
97.

(b) If a municipality or county adopts an ordinance or order involving
the placement, screening, or height of an amateur radio antenna based on
health, safety, or aesthetic conditions, the ordinance or order must:
(1) reasonably accommodate amateur communications; and
(2) represent the minimal practicable regulation to accomplish the
municipality's or county's legitimate purpose.

(c) This section does not prohibit a municipality or county from taking
any action to protect or preserve a historic, historical, or
architectural district that is established by the municipality or county
or under state or federal law.

Added by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 68, § 1, eff. May 10, 1999."

Of course, this doesn't apply to willingly signed personal contracts.

Howard, did you get the email I sent?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Bill Beeman March 10th 07 10:37 PM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

"Cecil Moore" wrote

Did you previously agree to the restrictions?
If so, it is likely a legally enforceable contract
between you and the other party.
--

I used to live in a town where the cable company had required builders to
attach a 'no-antenna' covenant as a condition of providing service....and

It was almost impossible to live in that area without having some
restrictive covenants...so it oversimplifies to simply suggest that you can
choose to live elsewhere. Most of us have to go where the work is.

Bill KB0RF (now happily living with no covenants and no HOA)

[email protected] March 11th 07 11:16 PM

PRB-1 and CC&R's

From: (Bill Gunshannon) on Sat, Mar 10 2007 9:35 am

Alan WA4SCA writes:

I am all in favor of allowing people to pick an area where the
environment is congenial to them. However, when there may as well be
a sign on the city limits saying "Hams Not Welcome," even if that is
not the intend, it may be time to at least have a vigorous discussion
of the formulations of CC&Rs. As for me, I decided to stay were I am,
where they consider regulation the last resort, not the first.

Having not been actively involved in ham radio for several years
(actually, more than a decade) I am amazed to see the same arguments
still going on. This one in particular.

"Humankind invented language to satisfy its need to complain."
(anonymous tagline) :-)

Hams make up approximately 00.2% of the US population.

0.023 % actually (understanding the typo on decimal point).

And, decreasing
every year. Why would you be surprised that more and more places don't
want structures they consider unsightly in their neighborhoods.

It's a matter of esthetics and all neighbors wanting the
place where they live to be nice. I've lived at this QTH
for close to 44 years and have seen it grow more attractive
when all in the neighborhood take pride in making their
homes and surrounding territory look good. No unsightly
trash lying around, no rusted car hulks, no huge satellite
dishes of the old kind, just nice upkeep on their property
and landscaping.

My only restriction is of the FAA kind since I am located
about a mile from the nearest corner of Bob Hope Airport
in Burbank, CA. However, trying to put up 200 feet of
tower (plus some) won't get me over the near hilltops for
low-angle HF shoots to the north to east. That didn't
matter when I bought this place back in '63.

As has already been stated (and was stated when we argued this more
than a decade ago) CC&R's are contractual matters and you are not
going to see laws to overturn or limit them. If you move into an
area that doesn't allow antennas it was your decision. The argument
that you can't find a place that allows them is bogus. What you
can't find is a place that is willing to operate by your terms.

The center area of Santa Barbara, CA, has (perhaps) the
most draconian restrictions beginning with the style of
architecture (!) in keeping with tradition of olde
California living. For those that want to live in that
style, let them enjoy it say I.

If you want an antenna farm buy property where that is allowed.

Some 53 years ago I lived and worked IN a two-square-mile
former airfield filled with wire antennas and their support
poles. For half a year until the Army reassigned me to
another place in Japan. That airfield also had dozens of
Japanese farmers on it, living and working at their
agricultural tasks. Those Japanese who contracted with their
government to work that land resented the "intrusion" of a
military who filled their observable sky with wire and
hundreds of poles...not to mention disturbing their BC
receivers with about 250 KW worth of assorted HF signals
from that large transmitter station. The farmers were
there first but their government let the USA put up that
station. Needless to say the farmers were upset with it.
While I enjoyed that assignment, I could understand their
dislike of their new conditions.

If you want to live in developed neighborhood, then either build one
full of hams or accept that your neighbors don't share your idea
of aesthetics.

That's the bottom line. It's a matter of priorities in
life and getting along with all the others in a neighbor-
hood. Radio amateurs are generally out-numbered by all
the others who do NOT share hams' liking for "living IN a
radio station."

I'm planning a new ham station installation but I'm also
considering the esthetics from my neighbor's point of view.
I LIKE my neighbors and I LOVE my wife who lives with me
even though she does not share my electronics interest of
work and play.

73,
Len, AF6AY

Dee Flint March 11th 07 11:56 PM

PRB-1 and CC&R's

oups.com...
From: (Bill Gunshannon) on Sat, Mar 10 2007 9:35 am

Alan WA4SCA writes:

[snip]

Hams make up approximately 00.2% of the US population.

0.023 % actually (understanding the typo on decimal point).

Best to double check that math. It is indeed approximately 0.2% (not 0.02%)
or about 2 hams per thousand people.

Dee, N8UZE

[email protected] March 12th 07 01:54 AM

PRB-1 and CC&R's

On Mar 11, 3:56�pm, "Dee Flint" wrote:

oups.com...

From: (Bill Gunshannon) on Sat, Mar 10 2007 9:35 am

Alan WA4SCA writes:

[snip]

Hams make up approximately 00.2% of the US population.

* 0.023 % actually (understanding the typo on decimal point).

Best to double check that math. *It is indeed approximately 0.2% (not 0.02%)
or about 2 hams per thousand people.

Yes. :-) (710K / 300M) = 2.3^(10-3) = 0.23%

88, AF6AY

[email protected] March 12th 07 02:57 AM

PRB-1 and CC&R's

On Mar 10, 12:35�pm, "Howard Lester" wrote:
wrote

I think there *is* a compelling public interest in the anti-antenna
regulations contained in many CC&Rs.

First off, those regulations have become "boilerplate"
in many if not most new construction since the 1970s.
The percentage of "no antenna" homes keeps growing
with time.

However, a number of years ago the FCC prevented HOA's from restricting the
use of outdoor TV antennas *and 3' satellite dishes unless the home is in a
"historic district" or is on a list of "historic homes." The only
restriction I know of otherwise is, as I recall, that the HOA may restricted
the antenna's height to no more than 12 feet above the roof line.

FCC only did that because the Supreme Court told them to.

IANAL, but here's what I learned:

What happened was the satellite TV folks claimed that no-antenna CC&Rs
were unfair restraint of interstate
commerce. IOW, they effectively created a cable-TV
monopoly in many areas, because the satellite TV
pizza-dish antennas won't work reliably unless they
can 'see' the satellite.

The satellite TV folks fought it all the way to the Supreme
Court, and won. But only for the small dishes.

"Regular" TV broadcast reception was also included, if the TV antenna
did not exceed a certain size and wasn't more
than a certain height above ground. But the antenna must be
used *only* for TV reception - not ham radio, Wi-Fi, FM radio, SW
radio, public service, etc.

For more details, search for the "OTARD" ruling ("Off The
Air Reception Decision", IIRC.)

It doesn't matter what the HOA rules, deed restrictions,
covenants, etc., say, or that people knowingly bought into
places with "no antennas" clauses. Unless they're in a
certified historic district, they have the right to put up
certain antennas for TV reception. The Feds preempted
those contracts and rules.

Yes, I know some HOA's prevent even the use of a 2 meter "J pole" taped to
the inside of the owner's window....

---

In reading this discussion, it seems there's a major point
being missed: reasonable accomodation.

The issue isn't just about towers and big beams. It's about
unreasonable prohibition of even simple wire and vertical
antennas that are almost invisible.

The simple solution of "don't buy a restricted property"
works well in some places and not in others. It all depends
on what houses are for sale in an area when *you* need to
move. In some areas, there's no shortage of affordable
unrestricted homes for sale, but in others, they are
essentially nonexistent.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Cecil Moore March 12th 07 04:35 AM

PRB-1 and CC&R's

wrote:
But the antenna must be
used *only* for TV reception - not ham radio, Wi-Fi, FM radio, SW
radio, public service, etc.

One more example of an irrational federal
government completely out of control. What
ever happened to "We The People"?
--
73, Cecil
http://www.w5dxp.com

Phil Kane March 12th 07 05:53 AM

PRB-1 and CC&R's

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 10:11:53 CST, Alan WA4SCA
wrote:

Some time back, I did some looking around for an Arizona retirement
home.

You would be interested to hear that the proposed Arizona statute
mirroring PRB-1 is drafted to apply to homeowner restrictions enacted
AFTER the statute goes into effect but not retroactively.

At least it's a start.

73 de K2ASP -- Phil Kane
ARRL Volunteer Counsel

Phil Kane March 12th 07 05:54 AM

PRB-1 and CC&R's

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 11:35:55 CST, (Bill Gunshannon)
wrote:

What you
can't find is a place that is willing to operate by your terms.
If you want an antenna farm buy property where that is allowed. If
you want to live in developed neighborhood, then either build one
full of hams or accept that your neighbors don't share your idea
of aesthetics.

The history behind antenna restrictions, BTW, have nothing to do with
ham radio or aesthetics. They were instituted at the urging (read:
financial support) of cable TV companies in the mid 60s to prevent
outdoor TV antennas from being erected, forcing the buyer to take
cable service at a time when all one could get on the cable were the
local TV stations anyhow. Like a bad fungus, it kept on attaching
itself to every new development filing - "monkey see, monkey do".

With all due respect, Bill, there have been several surveys in the
past years that new or modern developments all have the same
"boilerplate" restrictions. You are certainly entitled to the
opinion which you have presented above, but it's not in the best
interests of amateur radio as an integral part of our community. If
it takes the government to force reasonable accommodation, so be it.
Somehow it has to be done. That's my opinion.

A large part of my legal practice is concerned with fighting
unreasonable zoning restrictions on radio facilities, including
amateur radio stations, whether instituted by government or by
individuals.

73 de K2ASP -- Phil Kane
--
Philip M. Kane P E / Esq.
VP - Regulatory Counsel & Engineering Manager

Phil Kane March 12th 07 05:54 AM

PRB-1 and CC&R's

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:57:50 CST, wrote:

The simple solution of "don't buy a restricted property"
works well in some places and not in others. It all depends
on what houses are for sale in an area when *you* need to
move. In some areas, there's no shortage of affordable
unrestricted homes for sale, but in others, they are
essentially nonexistent.

As you know, Jim, we passed up three homes which were better and nicer
than the one we got because of restrictive covenants or in one case a
"thick" local zoning authority which was known to not understand what
"reasonable accommodation" is all about.

I'm assisting in a case this coming week on just that issue.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
ARRL Volunteer Counsel

email: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Phil Kane March 12th 07 05:55 AM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 23:15:04 CST, "KC4UAI" wrote:

I was just reading on the ARRL's website where the FCC has once again
declined to include CCNR's (Deed restrictions) in it's "must be
accommodating to Ham Radio" rules. I was wondering if anybody knew
much about the organization that petitioned the FCC?

The ARRL, among others.

I was also wondering if somebody has re-introduced the bill into the
new congress that would force the FCC to include CCNRs in it's PRB-1
pre-emption rules? I'm just guessing but it seems that the previous
bill that was introduced, got shuttled to committee and died there.

I haven't heard that it was reintroduced, but I hope that it is
shortly.

This is important to me because I live in a deed restricted community
with a very picky HOA.

It's important to all hams nationwide, whether they know/admitted it
or not.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
ARRL Volunteer Counsel

email: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Phil Kane March 12th 07 05:55 AM

PRB-1 and CC&R's

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 11:35:04 CST, "Howard Lester"
wrote:

However, a number of years ago the FCC prevented HOA's from restricting the
use of outdoor TV antennas and 3' satellite dishes unless the home is in a
"historic district" or is on a list of "historic homes." The only
restriction I know of otherwise is, as I recall, that the HOA may restricted
the antenna's height to no more than 12 feet above the roof line.

The history behind that is that The Congress in passing the
Telecommunications Reform Act of 1996 specifically directed the FCC to
do that. This of course was at the urging of the satellite TV
companies. Money talks, and big money talks loudly.

The FCC specifically said in reply to a petition by the ARRL recently
that until and unless The Congress directs otherwise, they will not
exercise the preemption on CC&Rs and HOA regulations.

(I do this stuff for a living.....)
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
ARRL Volunteer Counsel

email: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Phil Kane March 12th 07 05:55 AM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 04:38:34 CST, "Bill Horne, W1AC"
wrote:

I think homeowners are justified in seeking relief from _government_
regulation of antennas, since such rules are not the sort of thing local
governments do well. Deed restrictions, however, are something I think
the government should stay out of unless there's a _very_ compelling
public interest.

But there is a compelling public interest, Bill, there certainly is.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
ARRL Volunteer Counsel

email: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Phil Kane March 12th 07 06:01 AM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 10:12:14 CST, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Did you previously agree to the restrictions?
If so, it is likely a legally enforceable contract
between you and the other party.

Cecil, look up the term "contract of adhesion" in a legal text on
contracts. It is a "take it or leave it" situation where there is no
real bargaining.

In California, where I practice state law, a deed restriction or HOA
regulation can be declared unenforceable if it is found to be
unreasonable but the burden of proof of unreasonableness is on the
homeowner seeking relief.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
ARRL Volunteer Counsel

email: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Bill Horne, W1AC March 12th 07 12:44 PM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

wrote:

I think homeowners are justified in seeking relief from _government_
regulation of antennas, since such rules are not the sort of thing local
governments do well. Deed restrictions, however, are something I think
the government should stay out of unless there's a _very_ compelling
public interest.

But there is a compelling public interest, Bill, there certainly is.
--

Phil,

Not being a lawyer, I won't attempt to argue the law with you ;-).

I think that "public interest" is, by its nature, subject to debate.
It's also something that is debated only when the "public" doesn't know
what's good for it: after all, if everybody agreed that there should be
hams and that they should have antennas, there would be no problem. That
means that decisions about public interest _always_ involve political
risk, and politicians are the most risk-averse group on the planet.

I have said before, and will repeat he there used to be a de facto
agreement between hams and the military. We were a trained pool of
operators who could be drafted and placed in service quickly during
wars: that's why the NTS is a mirror of the military network model.
Since the military wanted hams to be (pardon the pun) up to speed, it
defended our frequency assignments in an era when there was fierce
competition for HF from short-wave broadcasting, point-to-point
services, and even other government agencies.

Times have changed: military electronics are too complicated and secret
for civilian training to be meaningful, and code is passé, so hams
aren't high on the pentagon's list-of-friends right now. Ergo, no free
ride at the allocation conferences or inter-agency sessions, and no
"public interest" in keeping hams on the air.

In addition to the military connection, we were also the beneficiary of
the government's push to increase science education in the wake of the
Sputnik panic and ensuing Apollo programs during the cold war. Movies
and periodicals showed hams as young wizards, with attendant benefits:
our neighbors, by and large, admired us and looked the other way when we
wanted a beam.

However, that is also in the past. International phone calls are now
routine, cell phones have removed any sense of wonder from mobile radio,
the Internet has given curious children access to different points of
view and cultures from all over the world. Small wonder, then, that
aging baby-boomers, eager for their own quarter-acre of paradise, have
endorsed deed restrictions and other ways to prevent their neighbors
from darkening their view of the skyline.

So, we come to the question of what the public "needs". We hams are no
longer valuable just for our everyday skills, such as Morse, and we're
not nearly good enough at providing other public services that might
justify overriding local ordinances. Unless Uncle Sam can be convinced
that Amateur Radio is once again relevant and worth keeping, I don't see
the government stepping in where contracts are involved: there's too
much political risk and no pressing need for intervention.

YMMV.

Bill

--
73,

Bill W1AC

(Remove "73" and change top level domain for direct replies)

[email protected] March 12th 07 12:45 PM

PRB-1 and CC&R's

On Mar 12, 12:54?am, Phil Kane wrote:
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:57:50 CST, wrote:
The simple solution of "don't buy a restricted property"
works well in some places and not in others. It all depends
on what houses are for sale in an area when *you* need to
move. In some areas, there's no shortage of affordable
unrestricted homes for sale, but in others, they are
essentially nonexistent.

As you know, Jim, we passed up three homes which were better and nicer
than the one we got because of restrictive covenants or in one case a
"thick" local zoning authority which was known to not understand what
"reasonable accommodation" is all about.

Hello Phil,

Yes, I remember that.

Here's another example:

I moved to this house in October of 1999. It has no
anti-antenna restrictions at all. However, it *does* have
a page and a half of fine print deed restrictions about
what can and cannot be done with the property. The
house was built in 1950, too.

Those deed restrictions were unknown to the seller and
the real estate agents. My real estate attorney and I
found them by reading the deed/title (can't remember
which) and finding a reference in there to "all other
restrictions filed...." That led us to the County Courthouse,
where the restrictions had been filed for the whole
development a half-century earlier. If I hadn't pushed the
issue, I never would have known about the restrictions.

Some might say that it's just due diligence to look up
everything about a property before buying. That's true,
but often it's not practical. When the RE market was hot
here, houses were often under contract the day they
went on the market. Even now, with higher interest rates,
good homes don't stay on the market more than a few days.

As you know, disclosure laws vary from state to state.
Who is going to walk away from a sale at the last
minute because they were informed of restrictions at the
closing?

To me, the most ominous facet of deed restrictions and
covenants is that they are designed to be unchangeable
forever. When it comes to laws, zoning codes and
ordinances can be changed, variances can be allowed, etc., but deed
restrictions and covenants do not fall under
their jurisdiction. As properties have boilerplate restrictions
added, the number of ham-friendly homes drops.

I'm assisting in a case this coming week on just that issue.
--

Excellent! Good Luck!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Alan WA4SCA March 12th 07 05:17 PM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

Phil,

And California is one of the lucky states where there is at least the
potential for relief from unreasonable CC&Rs. Not many do, as you
know.

It also seems somewhat atypical of California. Where I live, there
has been an increasing stream of people moving to escape, their word,
California nuttiness. Of course, they are promptly surprised to find
out that they are expected to get along with their neighbors without
endless rules, regulations, CC&Rs, etc. Quite a culture shock, but
after a couple of years they fit right in.

--
Alan
WA4SCA

Cecil Moore March 12th 07 05:18 PM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

Phil Kane wrote:
Cecil, look up the term "contract of adhesion" in a legal text on
contracts. It is a "take it or leave it" situation where there is no
real bargaining.

When I bought my house in CA, I amended the antenna
restriction portion of the contract. When the
neighbors objected to my antennas, I dragged out the
contract and showed them the marked out section
initialed by me, the seller, and the planning
commission. It probably would not have stood up in
court but it never got that far. I was sorta like
that ham in Lubbock, TX. Did you see that video?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Mike Andrews March 12th 07 06:00 PM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:18:20 CST, Cecil Moore wrote in :
Phil Kane wrote:
Cecil, look up the term "contract of adhesion" in a legal text on
contracts. It is a "take it or leave it" situation where there is no
real bargaining.

When I bought my house in CA, I amended the antenna
restriction portion of the contract. When the
neighbors objected to my antennas, I dragged out the
contract and showed them the marked out section
initialed by me, the seller, and the planning
commission. It probably would not have stood up in
court but it never got that far. I was sorta like
that ham in Lubbock, TX. Did you see that video?

No, actually. I haven't, and I suspect a lot of the other denizens of
this fine group haven't and would like to. URL?

--
Death is just Mother Nature's way of telling you
to Slow Down.

Phil Kane March 13th 07 12:36 AM

PRB-1 and CC&R's

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:35:28 CST, Cecil Moore
wrote:

But the antenna must be
used *only* for TV reception - not ham radio, Wi-Fi, FM radio, SW
radio, public service, etc.

One more example of an irrational federal
government completely out of control. What
ever happened to "We The People"?

That was the deal worked out with the satellite TV folks, who could
care less about the other services. You may consider it "out of
control". I consider that they finally took at least one baby step
towards the right goal.

Money talks. Big Money talks loudly.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Phil Kane March 13th 07 12:41 AM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 06:44:44 CST, "Bill Horne, W1AC"
wrote:

Unless Uncle Sam can be convinced
that Amateur Radio is once again relevant and worth keeping, I don't see
the government stepping in where contracts are involved: there's too
much political risk and no pressing need for intervention.

You are aware, aren't you, that Amateur Radio has been integrated into
Homeland Security as a necessary civilian resource. Here. we are the
backup for the county's and cities' public safety and hospital
communications and we are used for real-fife situations regularly.

International treaties and Congressional legislation specifically
provide valuable spectrum resources for Amateur Radio on an exclusive
basis. That sounds like "relevant", "public interest", and "worth
keeping" to me.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

[email protected] March 13th 07 01:00 AM

PRB-1 and CC&R's

In article .com,
wrote:

"Regular" TV broadcast reception was also included, if the TV antenna
did not exceed a certain size and wasn't more
than a certain height above ground. But the antenna must be
used *only* for TV reception - not ham radio, Wi-Fi, FM radio, SW
radio, public service, etc.

Actually, it isn't just for TV reception:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

--------

"Fixed wireless signals" are any commercial non-broadcast communications
signals transmitted via wireless technology to and/or from a fixed
customer location. Examples include wireless signals used to provide
telephone service or high-speed Internet access to a fixed location.

----------

I have friends who have HOA restrictions but had no problem putting
up antennas for Sprintlink (wireless Internet access) because of the
OTARD rules.

Patty N6BIS

[email protected] March 13th 07 02:10 AM

PRB-1 and CC&R's

On Mar 12, 8:00�pm,
) wrote:
In article .com,

wrote:

"Regular" TV broadcast reception was also included, if the TV antenna
did not exceed a certain size and wasn't more
than a certain height above ground. But the antenna must be
used *only* for TV reception - not ham radio, Wi-Fi, FM radio, SW
radio, public service, etc.

Not exactly - see below. My mistake!

Actually, it isn't just for TV reception:

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

--------

"Fixed wireless signals" are any commercial non-broadcast communications
signals transmitted via wireless technology to and/or from a fixed
customer location. Examples include wireless signals used to provide
telephone service or high-speed Internet access to a fixed location.

Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, the same link says that amateur radio is specifically
*not* included in the preemption.
----------

I have friends who have HOA restrictions but had no problem putting
up antennas for Sprintlink (wireless Internet access) because of the
OTARD rules.

That's a step in the right direction, but we hams are still outside
that
fence looking in.

And the preemption is specific about size and height of
antenna. Even if ham radio were included, a simple wire
antenna like the G5RV would not be covered.

Thanks again for the info.

73 de Jim, N2EY

[email protected][_2_] March 13th 07 05:15 AM

PRB-1 and CC&R's

In article .com,
wrote:
On Mar 12, 8:00�pm,
) wrote:

"Fixed wireless signals" are any commercial non-broadcast communications
signals transmitted via wireless technology to and/or from a fixed
customer location. Examples include wireless signals used to provide
telephone service or high-speed Internet access to a fixed location.

Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, the same link says that amateur radio is specifically
*not* included in the preemption.

That's correct. I was just addressing the "TV only" statement. It
would be great if there were similar rules about amateur radio antennas.

Patty

KC4UAI March 14th 07 03:02 AM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

wrote:

IANALB, the way it was explained to me is that Congress is very
reluctant to intercede in what is, in essence, a contractual matter, and
I think that reluctance is justified.

I understand that the FCC didn't want to get involved for Hams, but
they did use PRB-1 to pre-empt these private contracts for TV and Data
Services so they do have the right.

I think homeowners are justified in seeking relief from _government_
regulation of antennas, since such rules are not the sort of thing local
governments do well. Deed restrictions, however, are something I think
the government should stay out of unless there's a _very_ compelling
public interest.

One can argue that there is a compelling interest in providing
"reasonable accommodation" for armature radio. Should I desire to put
up any kind of usable antenna, my options are as follows:

1. Get the HOA to back off by my persuasive arguments about the
neighborhood being better off having such communications
infrastructure in my back yard. (Very unlikely)
2. Move to a different house that has less restrictive CCNR's. (Which
I cannot find with the same quality/price that I have now)
3. Put it up anyway and wait for a court order to take it down (and
pay the HOA whatever they decide the fines are going to be) (Which I
cannot afford, I'm sure.)
4. Hope for a state or federal law that preempts the CCNR's I feel
where forced on me in many ways.

I'm here to tell you that in Northeast Dallas you are very unlikely to
find reasonable housing in the $200K price range built in the last few
years that is not CCNR restricted from ham radio antennas. The
builders here simply use the same boiler plate CCNR for all their
developments and there is little else to buy here. It may be
different in rural areas, but I'm betting that around larger cities in
the US this is standard practice. This means that #4 is about all I
can hope for.

-= bob =-

[email protected] March 14th 07 06:47 AM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

On Mar 13, 10:02�pm, "KC4UAI" wrote:

One can argue that there is a compelling interest in providing
"reasonable accommodation" for armature radio. *Should I desire to put
up any kind of usable antenna, my options are as follows:

1. Get the HOA to back off by my persuasive arguments about the
neighborhood being better off having such communications
infrastructure in my back yard. *(Very unlikely)
2. Move to a different house that has less restrictive CCNR's. (Which
I cannot find with the same quality/price that I have now)

I would argue that lack of CC&Rs is a quality-of-life issue.
If I can't do reasonable things with my home, my quality-
of-life is reduced.

Now of course "reasonable" is the key factor. Putting a 90 foot tower
holding several large beams on a quarter-acre lot
isn't very reasonable. Putting up a dipole or vertical on the same lot
*is* reasonable, IMHO.

3. Put it up anyway and wait for a court order to take it down (and
pay the HOA whatever they decide the fines are going to be) *(Which I
cannot afford, I'm sure.)
4. Hope for a state or federal law that preempts the CCNR's I feel
where forced on me in many ways.

How about working for such a law?

I'm here to tell you that in Northeast Dallas you are very unlikely to
find reasonable housing in the $200K price range built in the last few
years that is not CCNR restricted from ham radio antennas. *The
builders here simply use the same boiler plate CCNR for all their
developments and there is little else to buy here. *It may be
different in rural areas, but I'm betting that around larger cities in
the US this is standard practice. *This means that #4 is about all I
can hope for.

A lot depends on the area.

Here in suburban Philadelphia, CC&Rs vary all over the place. Many
older homes, and there are lots of them,
are completely unrestricted as to antennas. You still
have to satisfy the building code, but that's a safety
issue.

With newer homes (less than 40 years old), it's a mixed bag.
Some are extremely restricted, some not. It just depends on
the builder and the community.

Some folks like CC&Rs because they think CC&Rs "protect
property values". Yet in every case I've seen in this area,
unrestricted houses command *higher* prices and better
appreciation than their CC&R'd counterparts.

In my case I settled for less house and less land in order
to have no anti-antenna restrictions for a given price and
community. I could have gotten more for less elsewhere,
but there were other considerations as to where I would
live.

$200K isn't a lot of money for a house these days in many
markets. Take a look at realtor.com and/or zillow.com,
and see what houses go for in various cities. One thing
to look for in the house description is "fee simple". While
it's no guarantee of an unrestricted property, anything
other than fee simple is almost guaranteed to have lots
of restrictions.

73 de Jim, N2EY

KC4UAI March 16th 07 07:05 PM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

On Mar 10, 11:12 am, Cecil Moore wrote:
KC4UAI wrote:
This is important to me because I live in a deed restricted community
with a very picky HOA.

Did you previously agree to the restrictions?
If so, it is likely a legally enforceable contract
between you and the other party.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Well.. If truth be told, I knew in advance about the restrictions.
However, this was *only* because I asked. CCNR's are not normally
disclosed in total prior to writing a contract on a house. Your only
indication that there *might* be CCNR's is that you are told that
there is an HOA who collects dues and how much the dues are. In my
experience, if you see HOA dues, you should assume the CCNR's restrict
antenna installations. And walking away from your contract will cost
you the earnest money if the reason is that you found the CCNR's too
restrictive.

My complaint here is that the CCNR's are all boilerplate and just
about 100% of the builders in the area I live have their standard
CCNR's that they file before they start building. If you want to buy
a house built in the last 5 years or so, almost 100% of them will have
CCNR's that restrict antenna installations that are visible from any
other lot or the street. Almost 100% of houses are built by builders
who's standard operating procedure is to file boiler plate CCNR's
before they even subdivide the land and start building roads.

Further, it's next to impossible to change these agreements. Legally,
you have to get 100% of the lot owners on the original land that the
CCNR got enacted on to agree to modify the agreement. (Can you say
herding cats..) You cannot even go to the HOA and get an "agreement"
here, because if they choose to not enforce the CCNR the guy next door
has the right to take you to court himself. In fact *anybody* in the
neighborhood can.

CCNRs have their place, and I understand that. How else would you get
folks to pay for the community pool. But, I believe that there is a
vested interest in the pre-emption of these agreements in a few more
cases than the FCC has chosen. Amateur Radio being among these few
cases.

-= bob =-

KC4UAI March 16th 07 07:37 PM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

On Mar 14, 1:47 am, wrote:
On Mar 13, 10:02�pm, "KC4UAI" wrote:
4. Hope for a state or federal law that preempts the CCNR's I feel
where forced on me in many ways.

How about working for such a law?

Aside from writing my congressman and advocating that others with my
same views do the same, what else can one do? The last house bill got
introduced and quickly referred to a committee where it died. How can
we get it out of that committee with a recommendation that it be
passed?

The FCC in it's latest ruling on this specifically states that if the
Congress tells them to do it they will expand PRB-1 to include CCNRs
for ham radio. How do we get Congress to do that? After all, there
are but 600K or so hams who one could argue might be interested in
this, and few others outside that group who would care.

I actually think this is as important as the spectrum protection stuff
we do. Spectrum doesn't mean a thing, if you cannot build an antenna
to use it.

-= bob =-

Cecil Moore[_2_] March 16th 07 07:39 PM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

KC4UAI wrote:
Further, it's next to impossible to change these agreements. Legally,
you have to get 100% of the lot owners on the original land that the
CCNR got enacted on to agree to modify the agreement.

Legally, it is not a contract unless you agree to it.
What would happen if you simply crossed out the antenna
restrictions clause before signing the contract?
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

[email protected] March 17th 07 12:20 AM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

On Mar 16, 2:39�pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
KC4UAI wrote:
Further, it's next to impossible to change these agreements. *Legally,
you have to get 100% of the lot owners on the original land that the
CCNR got enacted on to agree to modify the agreement.

Legally, it is not a contract unless you agree to it.

Not only do *you* have to agree to it, but everyone
else involved has to agree to it as well.

What would happen if you simply crossed out the antenna
restrictions clause before signing the contract?

That depends:

IANAL, but this is what I've learned.

If the seller is the person who put the restriction on the
contract, and has the authority to remove it, then the
two of you (and all other parties involved) could agree to
remove the restriction.

But in many cases that simply won't work. Here's why:

Most deed restrictions and covenants are specifically
written to be self-perpetuating. There is usually a clause
which says that the restrictions cannot be removed by
future owners - including the restriction that says
restrictions cannot be removed.

In those cases, the seller does not have the right to
remove the restrictions. S/he agreed to give up that right
and to continue all the restrictions as a condition of the
sale when *s/he* bought the property.

So you could cross it out and sign it, and so could the seller,
but if it were challenged by anyone, it would not stand up. In
fact, you might be in trouble for attempting to alter an
official document.

Deed restrictions are written that way for a reason: they'd
be too easy to change without it.

For example, a friend of mine lives on a 1.2 acre lot. The zoning in
the area requires a lot size of at least 0.5 acre.
His house and garage are at one end of the property, and
he could easily slice off a half-acre at the back without
violating any setback requirements. But a deed restriction
dating from the building of the house prohibits the further
subdivision of the land. So it's 1.2 acres essentially forever.

If we could get rid of deed restrictions and covenants just
by crossing them out, why would we need PRB-1?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Phil Kane March 17th 07 01:35 AM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:02:33 CST, "KC4UAI" wrote:

I understand that the FCC didn't want to get involved for Hams, but
they did use PRB-1 to pre-empt these private contracts for TV and Data
Services so they do have the right.

Actually not so on all points. The FCC did not use "PRB-1" in the
OTARD issue. They were commanded by The Congress to adopt regulations
to provide for OTARD, whereas PRB-1 was issued on the FCC's motion
alone. Secondly, the FCC has clearly stated several times that they
will not preempt private land use restrictions until and unless The
Congress mandates it, and they are taking their own sweet time in
doing so.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
ARRL Volunteer Counsel

email: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Phil Kane March 17th 07 03:31 AM

PRB-1 and CCNR's

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:05:57 CST, "KC4UAI" wrote:

Well.. If truth be told, I knew in advance about the restrictions.
However, this was *only* because I asked. CCNR's are not normally
disclosed in total prior to writing a contract on a house. Your only
indication that there *might* be CCNR's is that you are told that
there is an HOA who collects dues and how much the dues are. In my
experience, if you see HOA dues, you should assume the CCNR's restrict
antenna installations. And walking away from your contract will cost
you the earnest money if the reason is that you found the CCNR's too
restrictive.

Depends on where you are. In California and some other states, the
seller's agent must produce the documentation of CC&Rs and HOA
Regulations before the contract goes into effect, and I insist - for
myself and my clients - that a clause be inserted into the contract
that the buyer has a set time such as five days to back out with no
penalty if there are restrictions on antennas or if the seller's agent
fails to produce the above documentation to prove that there are no
such restrictions.

When we were in the process if buying our house here in 1999, we
didn't wait for the seller's agent -- we had our agent telephone her
office to get the CC&Rs on every house that we were interested in
(they are on file with the county recorder and can be obtained by
FAX). There was one brand new townhouse that we really liked that
really screamed "CC&Rs" but the search did not reveal any. I didn't
trust the search, and we passed it by. We settled for our third
choice, a 30-year old house that had CC&Rs but no HOA, and nothing in
the CC&Rs would serve as a restriction to what I wanted to erect.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest