Old March 21st 07, 08:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Tech Plus upgrading to?

I'm a technitian plus and my license expires next January. I figure rather
than just reupdating it, I would want to upgrade. I actually haven't used a
ham radio for years. About 4 years ago I was trading cars and put my 2m
into storage, which then we lost (long story) and haven't used a ham radio
since.

Anyway, I understand that the different classes have changed (tech plus
doesn't even really exist anymore, does it?). I used to be, if I remember
corretly, novice, tech, tech plus, general, expert. Now I *think* it's
technitian, general, expert. Am I correct? I already have my 5wpm morse
code but don't have any of my paperwork anymore (including my license).

What will I need to provide to prove I have the 5wpm morse code? Will I
need to get a new copy of my license? I had my address updated a few days
ago and it should be updated by now, if so I'll request a duplicate of my
license.

Any advice would be great.

Old March 21st 07, 12:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Jim Langston" wrote in message
[...]

The current license classes are Technician, General, and Extra. There is no
code test for any class of license so you will not need to provided proof of
passing it. You will need to have your current license or proof of license.

To upgrade, you will just have to pass the written exams: element 3 to go to
General and then Element 4 to go to Extra. You will also need your license,
photocopy of the license, picture ID, and the test session fee.

Check the frequency charts on ARRL. Your HF privileges have changed. You
now have CW privileges in the General CW portions of 15m, 40m, and 80m.
Note however, that the General CW portion on 80m has also changed.

Old March 21st 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Jim Langston" wrote in message
I'm a technitian plus and my license expires next January. I figure
rather than just reupdating it, I would want to upgrade. I actually
haven't used a ham radio for years. [snip]

Anyway, I understand that the different classes have changed (tech plus
doesn't even really exist anymore, does it?). [snip] I already have my 5wpm morse
code but don't have any of my paperwork anymore (including my license).

What will I need to provide to prove I have the 5wpm morse code? Will I
need to get a new copy of my license? I had my address updated a few days
ago and it should be updated by now, if so I'll request a duplicate of my
license.

Any advice would be great.

Jim,

If you passed the Technician test before March 21, 1987, you need only
provide proof to a VE team at an exam session, and you'll be given
element 3 credit, and thus will be entitled to a General upgrade without
testing.

If you passed the Technician test _after_ March 21, 1987, you'll need to
take the Element 3 written exam.

To get verification of your license status and exam date, write to the
FCC and ask for a "Status Verification": the procedure is attached below.

HTH.

Bill W1AC

- - -

Description : Amateur Verification
Solution Description : If you do not have a copy of your old amateur
license that shows when you were granted a certain operator class, you
can request a verification of your license status at that time by postal
mail, email, or fax.

Send a letter to:

FCC
Attn: Amateur Manager
1270 Fairfield Road
Gettysburg, PA 17325

You can also fax it to 717-338-2850 - put Attn: Amateur Manager on the
cover sheet.

You can also submit this request at http://esupport.fcc.gov/index.htm

Information you need to include:
1)Call Sign you want researched
2)Licensee Name as it appeared on the license
3)Mailing Address as it appeared on the license
4)Current Mailing Address
5)DOB
6)Class of License (Novice, Tech, Tech Plus, General,
Advanced, Extra)
7)Approximate date license was issued

You will be sent a letter verifying your license status, so please
provide a current mailing address in your request. If you need an
upgrade application submitted, you will need to contact a volunteer
examiner. You will need to present a copy of your old license to show
proof of passing the tests, or the amateur verification that you have
received.

To locate an examiner in your area, visit
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ama...sing/vecs.html

--
73,

Bill W1AC

(Remove "73" and change top level domain for direct replies)

Tech Tech Plus or vice versa? Zarky Zork General 5 December 20th 06 03:28 PM
Upgrading from Tech Plus to General Big Al Equipment 4 January 24th 06 03:19 AM
upgrading a pro-28 C B Scanner 0 February 2nd 04 06:50 AM
Why did the FCC merge the Tech and Tech Plus classes in 2000? Jason Hsu Policy 1 January 27th 04 07:13 PM
Upgrading to from Tech Plus to General, help on a FCC Form 605 question please Jerry Bransford General 6 December 1st 03 02:37 AM