Old April 5th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
J D J D is offline

Default Icom PS125

A while back I purchased an Icom V8000 with the mars cap conversion (136-174
mHZ) to use as a business band radio. Although the PTT gives me trouble now
and then.... I really like the radio and i was thinking of getting one for
the house to use as a base.... the Icom PS125 compatable with the V8000?

JD

Old April 5th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Apr 5, 12:52 pm, "J D" wrote:
A while back I purchased an Icom V8000 with the mars cap conversion (136-174
mHZ) to use as a business band radio. Although the PTT gives me trouble now
and then.... I really like the radio and i was thinking of getting one for
the house to use as a base.... the Icom PS125 compatable with the V8000?

JD

The Icom V8000 is not legal for use on business band.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 6th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

From: on Thu, 5 Apr 2007 17:08:48 EDT

On Apr 5, 12:52 pm, "J D" wrote:

A while back I purchased an Icom V8000 with the mars cap conversion (136-174
mHZ) to use as a business band radio. Although the PTT gives me trouble now
and then.... I really like the radio and i was thinking of getting one for
the house to use as a base.... the Icom PS125 compatable with the V8000?

The Icom V8000 is not legal for use on business band.

The V8000 transmitter will only output on the 2m band. Its
receiver already tunes 136 to 174 MHz, stock.

While the PS-125 outputs 13.8 VDC @ 25 A maximum, the connectors
of that and the V8000 aren't compatible. I got mine at no extra
cost on an Icom deal through end of March, but the normal by-itself
price is $300, too much for my thinking; there's plenty of 13 VDC
@ 25 A regulated supplies out on the market. PS-125 case is styled
to match the Pro line and the smaller mobiles (used at home) and
looks nice.

The V8000 needs only a 15 A maximum 13 VDC supply (1 A on
receive) so a PS-125 would be running cool at home. All current
Icom manuals, brochures, spec. sheets are downloadable at

www.icomamerica.com

73, Len AF6AY

Old April 6th 07, 07:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Apr 5, 9:25 pm, "AF6AY" wrote:

On Apr 5, 12:52 pm, "J D" wrote:

A while back I purchased an Icom V8000 with the mars cap conversion (136-174
mHZ) to use as a business band radio. .

The V8000 transmitter will only output on the 2m band. Its
receiver already tunes 136 to 174 MHz, stock.

With the "mars cap conversion" claimed by the author, the V8000 will
both transmit and receive in the range 136 - 174MHz. It's use on
"business band" is then possible, but not legal, without regard to the
power supply selected.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 6th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
xxx xxx is offline

With the "mars cap conversion" claimed by the author, the V8000 will
both transmit and receive in the range 136 - 174MHz. It's use on
"business band" is then possible, but not legal, without regard to the
power supply selected.

Is that because the radio lacks some sort of certification or are
you assuming that the original poster lacks a business band license?

Old April 6th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"xxx" wrote in message
With the "mars cap conversion" claimed by the author, the V8000 will
both transmit and receive in the range 136 - 174MHz. It's use on
"business band" is then possible, but not legal, without regard to the
power supply selected.

Is that because the radio lacks some sort of certification or are
you assuming that the original poster lacks a business band license?

Wouldn't the radio have to be type accepted (or whatever it's called) to be
used on the business band?

Dee, N8UZE

Old April 7th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

"xxx" wrote in message
With the "mars cap conversion" claimed by the author,
the V8000 will both transmit and receive in the range
136 - 174MHz. It's use on "business band" is then
possible, but not legal, without regard to the power
supply selected.

Is that because the radio lacks some sort of
certification or are you assuming that the original
poster lacks a business band license?

Wouldn't the radio have to be type accepted (or whatever
it's called) to be used on the business band?

Dee, N8UZE

I don't know about US legal requirements (FCC..?) but here in the UK it's
a requirement that *ALL* radio transmitting equipment is type approved,
with the sole exception of that used by radio amateurs (and, I believe,
the military, but not sure on that one).

We are exempt because we have passed the necessary examinations to show we
have the technical knowledge to modify transmitting equipment without
causing interference to other users of the radio spectrum.

73 Ivor G6URP

Old April 7th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Apr 6, 11:33 am, xxx wrote:

Is that because the radio lacks some sort of certification or are
you assuming that the original poster lacks a business band license?

Radio transmitters used on business band must be FCC approved
("certificated") for that service. The ICOM in question is not.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 7th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Apr 7, 12:25 pm, Bruce in Alaska wrote:

The Phrase in question is "Type Accepted",

"Type Accepted" (or "Type Acceptance") is an outdated term, replaced
in FCC regs with the term "Certificated".

73, de Hans, K0HB

FS icom ps125 Mwin33 Equipment 0 January 8th 05 04:41 AM
wtb icom ps125 Lemwnash Equipment 6 February 24th 04 02:10 AM
FS: Icom 756 Pro II with PS125 KU8F Swap 0 February 4th 04 05:01 PM
FS: Icom 756 Pro II w/PS125,SM-20 Tim J. Neff Swap 1 October 15th 03 06:31 PM
FS: Icom 756 Pro II with PS125 Tim J. Neff Swap 0 October 15th 03 03:32 AM