Old November 15th 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
JDP JDP is offline

Default Antennas and Propagation

Those of you with high-end antenna systems: are you hearing DX from
stateside? Are you working DX from stateside? On what freqs. and what UTC
times? I know the current solar cycle is at almost rock-bottom but wonder
if having high-end antennas make a difference as I read an article in QST by
the Force 12 CEO that it did help when he connected an unused antenna at TWR
in Bonaire to their HF rigs. He said it was like turning a light on in a
dark room. The bands came "alive." If propagation is at an all-time low
right now, how is that possible?

jdp

Old November 17th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 07:15:37 -0500, JDP wrote:
Those of you with high-end antenna systems: are you hearing DX from
stateside? Are you working DX from stateside? On what freqs. and what UTC
times?

It's *easier* to work DX with high-end antennas, but it's *possible*
without them. I've been away from my station for a week, but worked about
a dozen DX stations on 20m CW while I was gone, working from the mobile.
I also frequently work DX on 40m CW and have worked some on SSB on both
bands. (in both cases from the mobile)

I would say 40 and 20 are your best bets. 40 during hours of darkness -
roughly until midnight being your best bet. (because sunrise in Europe is
a bit after that and while you'll still have propagation, most of the
DX stations available to work won't) 20 is best in the morning (from
sunrise to about 10am or so) and in the evening. (say, 4pm-sunset)

But don't write off 15 or 10 meters. They *do* open, even now. Try
especially during DX contests. There's an all-band contest on CW next
weekend, and the ARRL 10-Meter Contest (both phone and CW) in December.

And, of course, the WARC bands. 12 may be rather spotty (but not
completely dead). 17 is open most days. 30 is open *every* day though
sometimes only domestically.

Try non-voice modes. Used to be CW was by far your best bet for DXing
with limited antennas. CW still works a LOT better than phone when you
don't have the biggest signal in the world. PSK31 has become VERY popular
and it's quite easy to work DX on that mode - nearly as easy as on CW and
sometimes with even less power.

Old December 4th 07, 09:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

There are those who think it's not sporting, but ftp clusters, such as
K3LR offer "up to the minute" DX as it is spotted on the bands. Go to
ac6v.com to find a nearby cluster, as well as info on how to customize
them for your geographic area.

I've had moderate results with 125 watts and a 70-foot-long end fed
"zepp" antenna by using the 75-meter SSB DX "window" at 3790-3800 kHz.
Usually good for insomniacs, as the Europeans wake up at 1-2 AM CST. DX
comes through very close to 3500 KHz, too.

DX contests, such as the recent CQWW, bring them out of the woodwork. I
heard tons of European and African stns on 80 during the CW contest.
Never heard them there before, but I'll check the contest calendars from
now on... Good Luck!
W9NPI (Michigan)

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 07:15:37 -0500, JDP wrote:
Those of you with high-end antenna systems: are you hearing DX from
stateside? Are you working DX from stateside? On what freqs. and what UTC
times?

It's *easier* to work DX with high-end antennas, but it's *possible*
without them. (truncated)

Pictures of your antennas in the Antennas in the World directory oli Antenna 0 June 25th 07 10:01 AM
WTB 80/40 Mor-gain or Antennas West PM Antennas David Thompson Antenna 0 November 3rd 06 09:38 PM
Propagation dxAce Shortwave 0 May 19th 06 09:07 PM
Propagation dxAce Shortwave 0 December 11th 04 01:14 PM
Propagation bunnydawg Antenna 7 March 24th 04 01:28 AM