Old April 11th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.info

Default BREAKING NEWS: Hamvention=AE Names 2008 Award Winners

(Note: This release arrived to late for inclusion in newscast #1600.)

Hamvention® 2008
PO Box 964, Dayton Ohio 45401-0964
On-Line: http://www.hamvention.org/http://www.hamvention.org

News Release

April 11,
2008 Contact:
Henry Ruminski, Media Chair
For Immediate
Release

Hamvention® Names 2008 Award Winners

DAYTON, OH -- Three amateur radio (ham) operators who have made
significant contributions to the Amateur Radio Service, will be honored
guests when Hamvention® 2008 opens in Hara Arena on May 16.
Recipients of this year's Hamvention® awards are Ward Silver,
N0AX, whose books and teaching materials have helped many become hams; Tom
McDermott, N5EG, whose technical contributions helped digital ham radio
expand; and Emery McClendon, KB9IBW, who started Amateur Radio Military
Appreciation Day (ARMAD) in 2003 as a way for Amateur Radio to express
support and appreciation for our service men and women.
Frank Beafore, WS8B, Hamvention® Awards Chairman said
selecting the winners from the number of worthy nominees presented a tough
task for the committee. "We believe the winners all have made significant
contributions to the ham radio community. We were impressed with the
quality of the nominations."
Hamvention® Chairman Carl Rose, K8CPR, praised the winners,
saying: On behalf of the Dayton Amateur Radio Association (DARA) and
Hamvention® 2008 it is my pleasure to congratulate this years Award
Winners. I ask all hams to join me in recognizing the outstanding
contributions and the many years of service the winners have given to the
amateur radio service."
Ward Silver, was named Amateur of the Year for his many
contributions including Ham Radio for Dummies, his first effort to show
that becoming a ham does not have to be a difficult challenge. His
additional books, magazine articles and his Hands On column in QST have all
helped many hams develop their knowledge and skills. Though he has been
honored for his efforts, including receiving the Bill Orr Technical Writing
Award from the ARRL, he said, "The best reward, though, is hearing from
readers that have found my writing helpful in understanding some aspect of
electronics or radio."
He was first licensed at age 17 in 1972 as WNØGQP, and
upgraded to Extra and NØAX in 1975. A contester and DXer he appears in
the
DXCC Honor Roll, lots of contest Top Ten boxes, and on a few record lists.
While living on Vashon Island, near Seattle WA, he worked
closely with community leaders and the Vashon-Maury Island Radio Club
(W7VMI) to provide effective emergency communications. Working together,
the fire district, CERT, and radio club members have created one of the
best local communications systems in the state of Washington.
He continues to pursue a variety of writing and editing
projects with the ARRL, such as the training manuals for all three license
classes and the ARRL Contester's Rate Sheet biweekly newsletter read by
nearly 17,000 subscribers. He said, "Ham radio continues to open doors for
me and I am honored to enjoy the friendship of my many ham radio friends in
every corner of the globe."
Emery McClendon, KBPIBW, received the Hamvention award for
Special Achievement for his efforts starting ARMAD or Amateur Radio
Military Appreciation Day in 2003. He said he started ARMAD "as a way to
have Amateur Radio serve as a tool for the people of our communities to be
able to express 'live' support and appreciation for our Troops, Veterans,
Military Retired; and First Responders." The event has become popular and
spread to other communities. Several Military Support Groups have developed
an interest in having Amateur Radio as a part of their activities. This
resulted in Amateur Radio being introduced to thousands of people worldwide
that otherwise would have never known about our public service.
McClendon, a native of Fort Wayne, Indiana, who became an
Amateur Radio Operator 16 years ago. His interest in organizing Military
Special Events came from his four years of service in the U.S. Air Force,
and two years in the Indiana Air National Guard. In 2001 he was asked to
make Amateur Radio a part of The Vietnam Wall Experience for the City Of
Fort Wayne, and in 2003 was asked to organize Amateur Radio into the Fort
Wayne Glen Beck Rally For America. The events went so well that he was
asked to organize Amateur Radio for the National Rally For America held in
Huntington, West Virginia.
He is active with two local Amateur Radio Clubs, and with
giving presentations about Amateur Radio to community groups. His
activities, including ARMAD, have resulted in many TV, Radio, and media
stories over the past five years giving Amateur Radio community exposure.
The Hamvention Technical Achievement Award goes to Thomas C.
McDermott, N5EG, for his more than 20 years of involvement in projects
which further the development of amateur radio. He co-developed the TexNet
packet switching network in 1986, based on datagram routing. In the 1990s
it covered much of the south central United States. He was the founder of
the Texas Packet Radio Society. In 1994 he developed the TAPR-AMSAT windows
software development system for the DSP-93 modem, including software-based
instruments (oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, signal generator). In 1996 he
wrote a textbook on Wireless Digital Communications for TAPR, and developed
the TAPR VNA in 2004. These projects provide an on-going revenue stream
for TAPR to help fund other activities and development projects. Tom
received the ARRL technical excellence award in 2005, and is a life member
of the ARRL.
He enjoys operating RTTY and an occasional contest. He is
married and lives in Medford, Oregon. Hamvention, the worlds
largest amateur radio gathering, brings more than 20,000 people to the
greater Dayton area each year. The three-day event includes exhibits, a
flea market, forums and education sessions.
For more information about Dayton Hamvention 2008 (scheduled for May
16-18), visit the website at http://www.hamvention.org/www.hamvention.org
or e-mail
media@hamven
tion.org.