Old April 14th 08, 01:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default "Steampunk" Revisited

In a recent thread, the question of style in our hamshacks and
equipment was discussed.

Here's one amateur's interpretation (click on the "Retro" links:

http://g4oep.atspace.com/

Interesting mix of old, new, and styles

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old April 14th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote:
In a recent thread, the question of style in our hamshacks and
equipment was discussed.

Here's one amateur's interpretation (click on the "Retro" links:

http://g4oep.atspace.com/

Interesting mix of old, new, and styles

Rather nice radio he's made. The technology is exposed, and visible, and
it's aesthetics are there for everyone to see. Love them tubes. Nice
warm tones against a black surface. I'll give it an A. I'm curious
though. One of those tubes had a different glow to it. Would that be a
tuning eye tube?

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Old April 15th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Michael Coslo wrote:

Rather nice radio he's made. The technology is exposed, and visible, and
it's aesthetics are there for everyone to see. Love them tubes. Nice
warm tones against a black surface. I'll give it an A. I'm curious
though. One of those tubes had a different glow to it. Would that be a
tuning eye tube?

Sort of; it's a tuning indicator. Same technology, but not round, so
it's not an "eye".

That rx isn't just good to look at, it's got some serious performance
too. Note the number of poles in the ladder filter, the balanced beam-
deflection mixer, etc. Yet it's simple.

---

Another poster asked about other homebrew sites. Here's what one ham
uses:

http://hometown.aol.com/n2ey/myhomepage/

and a receiver he built ~35 years ago:

Southgate Type 4

http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Jim/jiminfo.doc
http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Jim/SilverRX1.jpg
http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Jim/SilverRX2.jpg
http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Jim/SilverRX3.jpg
http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Jim/SilverRX4.jpg
http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Jim/SilverRX5.jpg
http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Jim/SilverRX6.jpg

Can you identify the dial drum?

Lots more homebrew stuff on the HBR website.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old April 22nd 08, 06:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default "Steampunk" Revisited- another nice one

http://www.sparkbench.com/homebrew/brass/brass.html

Now THAT's what I'm talking about.That two tuber is just gorgeous! Not
only functions very well, according to the builder), but I'd put it in
my living room as a piece of art.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -