Old April 14th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Dayton this year?

Anyone going to Dayton this year?

I've been going for the past several years, but figuring on around:

175 dollars for gas
325 for room (Wed through Saturday at a good rate)
125 dollars for food (maybe if I do a lot of Micky D's)

I'm looking at 600 plus dollars before I even buy anything. Think I may
have to take a pass...

As those fuel costs skyrocket, it might be pretty hard on Dayton in the
future.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Old April 14th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Apr 14, 2:03 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:
Anyone going to Dayton this year?
sinpping stuff that says basicaly going is expensive

As those fuel costs skyrocket, it might be pretty hard on Dayton in the
future.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Not me but then Dayton comes at a realy bad time for me since the snow
here is still not melted enough to to do those spring tasks but those
sorts of number Enay doo seem to be awfully hard on all hamfests
Dayton or otherwise

Old April 15th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Michael Coslo wrote in news:fu0639$13na$1
@f04n12.cac.psu.edu:

Anyone going to Dayton this year?

I've been going for the past several years, but figuring on around:

175 dollars for gas
325 for room (Wed through Saturday at a good rate)
125 dollars for food (maybe if I do a lot of Micky D's)

I'm going.

I live in Columbus, so I can do a day with no effort.

Old April 16th 08, 12:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Apr 14, 2:03 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:
Anyone going to Dayton this year?

Not me.

I've been going for the past several years, but figuring on around:

175 dollars for gas

This seemed high to me, so I checked out the distance. For a vehicle
that gets ~20 mpg and $3.25 gas it's pretty close.

325 for room (Wed through Saturday at a good rate)
125 dollars for food (maybe if I do a lot of Micky D's)

The only way I can see to cut that down is to go with a buddy and pack
a lunch.....

I'm looking at 600 plus dollars before I even buy anything. Think I may
have to take a pass...

As those fuel costs skyrocket, it might be pretty hard on Dayton in the
future.

Maybe. But note that even if the price of gas was cut in half
tomorrow, the trip would still cost over $500. IMHO the amazing thing
is that so many hams from outside the day-trip area go to Dayton.

Actually, gasoline prices aren't really skyrocketing. What's happening
is that we've had years and years of gasoline prices not keeping up
with inflation, and now they are making up for lost time (and then
some).

Here's one interesting analysis:

http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/st..._adjusted.html

73 de Jim, N2EY

(still miss my old VW Rabbit Diesel - 50+ mpg highway, no ignition
noise)

Old April 16th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

In ,
John typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
:
: Anyone going to Dayton this year?
:
: I've been going for the past several years, but figuring on around:
:
: 175 dollars for gas
: 325 for room (Wed through Saturday at a good rate)
: 125 dollars for food (maybe if I do a lot of Micky D's)
:
:
: I'm going.
:
: I live in Columbus, so I can do a day with no effort.

envy

Ok for some, I live in the UK so it'd be a major trip..! I do know people
who've done it though, so maybe one day I'll make it :-)

/envy

73 Ivor G6URP

Old April 16th 08, 05:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Michael Coslo writes:

Anyone going to Dayton this year?

Yep.
Rain or snow, hot or cold, overcast or sunburn;
every year since 1970.

--
A host is a host from coast to

Old April 16th 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote:
On Apr 14, 2:03 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:
Anyone going to Dayton this year?

Not me.

I've been going for the past several years, but figuring on around:

175 dollars for gas

This seemed high to me, so I checked out the distance. For a vehicle
that gets ~20 mpg and $3.25 gas it's pretty close.

I factored in 3.40 for gas, and some riding around during the week. The
Vitara gets around 28 mpg highway. I won't be surprised if it costs more
than that by mid-May.

325 for room (Wed through Saturday at a good rate)
125 dollars for food (maybe if I do a lot of Micky D's)

The only way I can see to cut that down is to go with a buddy and pack
a lunch.....

I'm looking at 600 plus dollars before I even buy anything. Think I may
have to take a pass...

As those fuel costs skyrocket, it might be pretty hard on Dayton in the
future.

Maybe. But note that even if the price of gas was cut in half
tomorrow, the trip would still cost over $500. IMHO the amazing thing
is that so many hams from outside the day-trip area go to Dayton.

Very true. What happens though is that it hits a trigger point, and a
person who might have figured on going someplace might just reconsider
it's worth. sometimes it can even jog a person to look at what they are
spending. I can get a lot of equipment for that (that total amount of)
money, and after 2 years, I can afford that IC-7000 I drool over.

The trade off is that I really do enjoy the interaction with other Hams,
the seminars, flea market and ability to talk to the vendors.

Actually, gasoline prices aren't really skyrocketing. What's happening
is that we've had years and years of gasoline prices not keeping up
with inflation, and now they are making up for lost time (and then
some).

What that doesn't show is the impact of changing driving styles. When I
first started driving in the early 70's, most people didn't put anywhere
as many miles on their cars as they do now. I used to put less than 10K
per year on a vehicle, now it is closer to 30K per annum. Lots of
reasons for this, some good, some bad, but when my XYL was driving a
Grand Cherokee and I was driving a Windstar, our gasoline bill hit
around 600 dollars one month. That was while gas was still in the 2
something dollar range.

So in anticipation of future gas prices and economic conditions, I
bought a Vitara, and she bought an Aerio. (we had to buy new cars
anyway, so the payment cost is not so relevant.

So while inflation adjusted prices tell one story, total dollars put in
the gas tank tell another.

And in all, we're just adjusting ourselves to the new reality, making
ends meet. All over the country folks are adjusting.

(still miss my old VW Rabbit Diesel - 50+ mpg highway, no ignition
noise)

Sweet.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Have a Happy & Joyful New Year and Peace & Security Throughout theComing Year - Amen RHF Shortwave 0 December 28th 10 12:23 PM
Dayton HamFest killed by E-Bay NOT JUST DAYTON [email protected] Shortwave 0 May 22nd 06 05:17 AM
Dayton this year TK41C Boatanchors 5 June 1st 04 05:48 AM
FS: QST 1936 full year 1937 Full year 1938 (miss Dec) Douglas Snowden Swap 0 May 4th 04 03:02 AM
WHEN IS DAYTON THIS YEAR???? JAD Radios Swap 1 March 26th 04 04:24 AM