Old May 21st 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default What a great Dayton!

Yes, there were bumps, such as the Flea Market ticket mess, but so what?
We got our spot issues cleared up at 8:15 Thursday, got the tents up and
the booth set up by noon.

The weather was the best I've seen in YEARS. Sun or high clouds for all
4 days. Cool enough but not cold. It poured rain Saturday night but
waited until nightfall to start and stopped well before dawn.

Predicted traffic hassles were not, at least for us...

I bought all kinds of goodies, none big, many small, saw old friends
and had a great time. The only downer was the Hotels.Com booking;
do not go to the Econolodge on Edwin Moses drive, folks..

--
A host is a host from coast to

Old May 22nd 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Indeed, it went well, except as you say for the ticket issues. I
talked with a DARA official at a banquet, and they are VERY aware of
what happened, and that it must NEVER happen again.

At a banquet, he related that in 2000 DARA had $70 in the bank, and
$190k in debts. This year, they gave the non-profit organization $5k
as thanks for support of the Hamvention, for development work. Talk
about a turn around!

--
Alan
WA4SCA

Old May 22nd 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Alan WA4SCA writes:

At a banquet, he related that in 2000 DARA had $70 in the bank, and
$190k in debts. This year, they gave the non-profit organization $5k
as thanks for support of the Hamvention, for development work. Talk
about a turn around!

I had heard rumors that they were in bad shape a few years ago,
but I had no idea it was THAT bad.

If anyone knows more, I'd be interested....

--
A host is a host from coast to

Old May 22nd 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Alan WA4SCA wrote:

At a banquet, he related that in 2000 DARA had $70 in the bank, and
$190k in debts. This year, they gave the non-profit organization $5k
as thanks for support of the Hamvention, for development work. Talk
about a turn around!

I'm glad things are working. I suspect that the turnaround required two
things -- good management and an actual market for what they're selling.
Maybe what we're going to see is less hamfests but bigger ones. A new
hamfest comes to Rochester MN this summer (http://www.rarexpo.org/) so
it will be instructive to see how they do.

73, Steve KB9X

Old May 22nd 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Alan WA4SCA wrote:
Indeed, it went well, except as you say for the ticket issues. I
talked with a DARA official at a banquet, and they are VERY aware of
what happened, and that it must NEVER happen again.

At a banquet, he related that in 2000 DARA had $70 in the bank, and
$190k in debts. This year, they gave the non-profit organization $5k
as thanks for support of the Hamvention, for development work. Talk
about a turn around!

In the end, I decided to go, and had a blast as usual. sold a couple
items, my SB200 linear, and my trusty old IC-745. (gosh, I miss it
already, my first HF rig)

With the proceeds and a little extra, I bought a Kenwood TS480SAT, which
I'll put in the Vitara as soon as I get over this nasty cold.

On another note, I really think that it is time that DARA start looking
at another venue for the Hamfest. Yes, there is a lot to be said for
tradition, but in the 6 or so years I've been going, the Hara arena has
deteriorated quite a bit. It wasn't in that great of shape when I first
went either. Rusty exit doors, missing floor tiles. The parking lot is
getting awfully pitted, and my guess is that it isn't ever going to be
repaved. It's kind of sad, but these sort of things happen. I think the
place is heading downward, and it's just a matter of time before they
close. At that point DARA will have to find a new venue.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Old May 23rd 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Michael Coslo writes:

On another note, I really think that it is time that DARA start looking
at another venue for the Hamfest. Yes, there is a lot to be said for
tradition, but in the 6 or so years I've been going, the Hara arena has
deteriorated quite a bit.

Well, I have a few more years than you; and yes, Hara is getting
old, as we all are....

But there's nowhere anywhere nearby with the indoor+outdoor space
the Hamvention uses. If/when the Wampler family [ISTM that's their
name..] sells out to developers, the Hamvention may well be history...

--
A host is a host from coast to

Old May 23rd 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

In article ,
David Lesher wrote:
But there's nowhere anywhere nearby with the indoor+outdoor space
the Hamvention uses. If/when the Wampler family [ISTM that's their
name..] sells out to developers, the Hamvention may well be history...

Well, there IS Salem Mall for outdoor space... it's got a lot more than
it used to. And, IIRC, there's an abandoned Walmart not too far from there.