Old October 2nd 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Newsgroup servers?

Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October 25th.

Old October 2nd 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

In article ,
Dee Flint wrote:
Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October 25th.

Get a shell account at Panix.com. They have a very good news server.

$100. a year, includes email. www.panix.com

You can do email and news by logging into your shell account and using
unix tools or remotely with NNTP and IMAP access.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L

Old October 2nd 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Dee Flint" wrote ...
Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October 25th.

Google will give you an ample list of free news servers.

Many people in other newsgroups faced with the same
situation are going over to news.individual.net which is
actually run by the Free University in Berlin (not that the
location makes any difference on the worldwide network).

It costs 10 Euros per year which amounts to slightly more
than 1 USD per month. They run a good operation and I
have not heard any complaints about it. I have them auto
charge my plastic every year and I don't even have to
think about it. Highly recommended.

Old October 2nd 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 13:46:25 EDT, "Dee Flint"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October 25th.

They haven't sent one to me...... :-)
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Old October 2nd 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Right now I am unemployed. I need to keep the internet for my job hunting
but $100 is not reasonable to spend at this time for newsgroups.

Dee, N8UZE

"Rich Greenberg" wrote in message
In article ,
Dee Flint wrote:
Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October 25th.

Get a shell account at Panix.com. They have a very good news server.

$100. a year, includes email. www.panix.com

You can do email and news by logging into your shell account and using
unix tools or remotely with NNTP and IMAP access.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543
1353
Eastern time. N6LRT I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since
CP-67

Old October 2nd 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October 25th.

They haven't sent one to me...... :-)
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Here's the URL for the web page: http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

Maybe they haven't gotten to the letter K in sending out the notice or maybe
they are doing it by service areas.

Dee, N8UZE

Old October 2nd 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Dee Flint" wrote ...
Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October
25th.

Google will give you an ample list of free news servers.

Many people in other newsgroups faced with the same
situation are going over to news.individual.net which is
actually run by the Free University in Berlin (not that the
location makes any difference on the worldwide network).

It costs 10 Euros per year which amounts to slightly more
than 1 USD per month. They run a good operation and I
have not heard any complaints about it. I have them auto
charge my plastic every year and I don't even have to
think about it. Highly recommended.

I'll check out the one you suggest. I tried google but everything listed
seemed to have a charge attached to it.

It needs to be very cheap or free as I'm unemployed at this time.

Dee, N8UZE

Old October 3rd 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Dee Flint" wrote

I'll check out the one you suggest. I tried google but everything listed
seemed to have a charge attached to it.

It needs to be very cheap or free as I'm unemployed at this time.

Dee, how about this one for $29?

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/

Old October 3rd 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October 25th.

They haven't sent one to me...... :-)

Since you're posting through Panix, Comcast's actions won't
affect you anyway, Phil. Same with me. I don't recall whether
I got a notice from them or read about it in some of my habitual
Usenet groups a couple of weeks ago, but I knew it didn't affect
me anyway, because I only use my Comcast cable modem to access
my *real* ISP. :-)

Patty N6BIS

Old October 3rd 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Hi everyone:

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
. ..
Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October 25th.

Try http://www.open-news-network.org/ You may have to run it through
Google's Translator site to get it to where you can read it properly, but
they are the only ones I know offering free USENET access.

Good Luck.

Cheers & 73

Pat Cook, KB0OXD
Denver, Colorado
**NEW!!**Owner/Sysop - KB0OXD-L (EchoLink Node No. 39953) **NEW!!**
Website - http://www.qsl.net/kb0oxd/
EchoLink Page - http://www.qsl.net/kb0oxd/echolink/

Any free usenet servers for rec.radio.shortwave ???? SC Dxing Shortwave 9 December 28th 09 09:15 PM
Cox's news servers KH6HZ Moderated 1 March 17th 07 05:12 AM
Free News Servers administrators and Owners Notice anonymous General 0 August 22nd 06 01:17 AM
Free News Servers administrators and Owners Notice anonymous Policy 0 August 22nd 06 01:17 AM
Free news servers, newsgroups! John Smith Antenna 0 April 30th 05 11:14 PM