Old October 3rd 08, 05:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Newsgroup servers?

In article ,
Rich Greenberg wrote:
In article ,
Dee Flint wrote:
Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October 25th.

Get a shell account at Panix.com. They have a very good news server.

$100. a year, includes email. www.panix.com

Or, for USENET access only, consider news.individual.net - ten euros
per year.

The site "aioe.org" has a publicly-accessible USENET server - free to
use, and posting is allowed. Unfortunately, The Tragedy of the
Commons applies here - because the server is free, open, and (by
deliberate intent) doesn't authenticate its users, it has become a
server-of-choice for abusive posters and (I think) spammers, and quite
a lot of sites and individuals are now just dropping all aioe.org
articles on the floor.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old October 3rd 08, 05:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

In article ,
Dee Flint wrote:
Right now I am unemployed. I need to keep the internet for my job hunting
but $100 is not reasonable to spend at this time for newsgroups.

Dee, N8UZE

Can you afford $10/month? Thats the basic rate at Panix, if you pay a
year at a time, you get a $20 discount.

"Rich Greenberg" wrote in message
In article ,
Dee Flint wrote:
Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October 25th.

Get a shell account at Panix.com. They have a very good news server.

$100. a year, includes email. www.panix.com

You can do email and news by logging into your shell account and using
unix tools or remotely with NNTP and IMAP access.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543
1353

Old October 3rd 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Howard Lester" wrote in message
"Dee Flint" wrote
I'll check out the one you suggest. I tried google but everything

listed
seemed to have a charge attached to it.

It needs to be very cheap or free as I'm unemployed at this time.

Dee, how about this one for $29?

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/

That's a program, not a content delivery service.

Old October 3rd 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Pat Cook" wrote in message
Hi everyone:
"Dee Flint" wrote in message
. ..
Can anyone recommend a free newsgroup server? Comcast just sent out an
email that they are discontinuing newsgroup access effective October

25th.

Try http://www.open-news-network.org/ You may have to run it through
Google's Translator site to get it to where you can read it properly, but
they are the only ones I know offering free USENET access.

Or try the link at the bottom of the page that says "English"!

Old October 3rd 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 09:34:34 EDT, "D. Stussy" wrote:

"Howard Lester" wrote in message
"Dee Flint" wrote
I'll check out the one you suggest. I tried google but everything

listed
seemed to have a charge attached to it.

It needs to be very cheap or free as I'm unemployed at this time.

Dee, how about this one for $29?

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/

That's a program, not a content delivery service.

Forte offers Agent Premium Newsgroups (APN).
http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php
It's basically a front-end to Easynews.

12 GBytes $2.95 / month
25 GBytes $5.95 / month
70 GBytes $9.95 / month
Unlimited $14.95 / month

I don't download many binaries, so I'm happy with the 12 GBytes level.

73 de Dick, AC7EL

Old October 3rd 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote:
"Howard Lester" wrote in message
"Dee Flint" wrote
I'll check out the one you suggest. I tried google but everything

listed
seemed to have a charge attached to it.

It needs to be very cheap or free as I'm unemployed at this time.

Dee, how about this one for $29?

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/

That's a program, not a content delivery service.

Forte offers Agent Premium Newsgroups (APN).
http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php
It's basically a front-end to Easynews.

12 GBytes $2.95 / month
25 GBytes $5.95 / month
70 GBytes $9.95 / month
Unlimited $14.95 / month

I don't download many binaries, so I'm happy with the 12 GBytes level.

OK, but the URL you gave was to the program. The URL for the service is
http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php and does NOT appear on the program's
page.

Old October 4th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Basic usenet news service from http://www.newsguy.com/overview.htm
is $7.95 per month. It's $39.95 per year if you pay up front.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Old October 4th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Rich Greenberg wrote:
In article ,
Dee Flint wrote:
Right now I am unemployed. I need to keep the internet for my job hunting
but $100 is not reasonable to spend at this time for newsgroups.

Dee, N8UZE

Can you afford $10/month? Thats the basic rate at Panix, if you pay a
year at a time, you get a $20 discount.

Panix is a fine service, but it's a full-service Internet facility.
Service for newsgroups only is available for much less cost, and that's
all that Comcast is dropping so why pay for more?

My preference, as others have put forward, is individual.net. I don't
like the free services for the reasons already mentioned. I find
individual.net a reasonable compromise between the free services that
are worth what you pay and the more expensive products that provide
additional function beyond what I need. If you're just looking for a
good provider for Usenet access, it fits the bill nicely.

Another alternative that I don't think anyone has mentioned is access to
newsgroups via the Google interface. Being able to use a real news
reader is well worth 10 Euros per year to me.

73, Steve KB9X

Old October 4th 08, 07:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 20:01:33 EDT, "Howard Lester"
wrote:

I'll check out the one you suggest. I tried google but everything listed
seemed to have a charge attached to it.

It needs to be very cheap or free as I'm unemployed at this time.

Dee, how about this one for $29?

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/

I have been using Forte Agent for quite a while. It is only a
newsreader and requires an external news service. Their "in house"
service, APM, runs about $15 per month.

For what I pay Comcast for internet access, an extra $15 a month is
not that expensive. My e-mail service costs about that much, if not
more.

It's just the principle of the thing, an "entitlement" so to speak.

Relevance to ham radio: it's how I keep in contact with r.r.a.m news,
and other hams on the two other groups, one hobby, one professional.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Old October 4th 08, 07:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 20:46:35 EDT, Patty Winter
wrote:

Since you're posting through Panix, Comcast's actions won't
affect you anyway, Phil. Same with me. I don't recall whether
I got a notice from them or read about it in some of my habitual
Usenet groups a couple of weeks ago, but I knew it didn't affect
me anyway, because I only use my Comcast cable modem to access
my *real* ISP. :-)

The group is hosted on panix. My domain and mail server is on NetSol,
but my news server = the one I connect to - is newsgroups.comcast.net.
If this affects me - I will check with Comcast next week - I will have
to find another news service - perhaps NetSol has one or use the one
that Forte Agent works with.

Perhaps, to paraphrase the unforgettable Dr. C.T. Yang of MIT some 55
years ago - "THIS Comcast not the same as THAT Comcast....I only did
that to con-fuse you..."
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Any free usenet servers for rec.radio.shortwave ???? SC Dxing Shortwave 9 December 28th 09 09:15 PM
Cox's news servers KH6HZ Moderated 1 March 17th 07 05:12 AM
Free News Servers administrators and Owners Notice anonymous General 0 August 22nd 06 01:17 AM
Free News Servers administrators and Owners Notice anonymous Policy 0 August 22nd 06 01:17 AM
Free news servers, newsgroups! John Smith Antenna 0 April 30th 05 11:14 PM