Old April 3rd 10, 09:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Straight key speed

In article
,
N2EY wrote:

The Model J-37 is the same key without
a shorting switch. ?

They're similar, but not the same key.

Jim-

These keys were provided by several different makers. If you find a
J-37 and a J-38 made by same company, there is a chance they are
identical except the switch-related hardware is missing from the J-37.

That may not be true for all makers, but it was in one case I'm familiar
with. It appeared that the switch hardware could be transferred from
the J-38 to the J-37 without any modifications.

Fred
K4DII

Old April 4th 10, 05:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 20:41:54 EDT, notbob wrote:

I'm a retired geezer studying for my technical license. I fully
intend to learn morse code and not at a mere 5wpm. I figure one is
not truly a ham until one can cw, so I'm hot on it, listening to the
Koch method to learn code. I'm also looking for a GOOD straight key.

I want to invest in quality, but am not wealthy. I was gonna buy a
Vibroplex Know Code key, but the reviews are less than heartening.
So, I talked to Al at Milestone Technologies and he said something that
kinda set me back on my heels. He claimed a straight key is not much
good for anything over 15 wpm. Yikes!

Am I unnecessarily knocking myself out trying to learn code at Just
Learn Code's default 20wpm? Dropping down to 15wpm sure would speed
up the learning curve. If I want to eventually make 20wpm and faster,
would I be better off with a less expensive straight key in the
beginning and later investing the money in a quality bug? I want
to go bug before paddles and keyers. I guess the bottom line is, do I
want to graduate to a bug as soon as possible and maybe lower my
initial goals for a straight key. IOW, just get on the air?

Any advice is appreciated.

nb

Hmmm.

After reading all the replies on this thread, I'm tempted to ask:

"Don't you people know that CW is dead?"

While you prepare your answers, I'm off to work the low end of 40.

:-)

Old April 4th 10, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 2010-04-02, notbob wrote:
I'm a retired geezer studying for my technical license. I fully
intend to learn morse code.....

Thank you all for the great replies to my query. I couldn't ask for a
better cross section of opinions and depth of experience. Your replies
really made me rethink my options.

See my new semi-related post!

nb

Old April 5th 10, 01:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

In article ,
Fred McKenzie wrote:

It appeared that the switch hardware could be transferred from
the J-38 to the J-37 without any modifications.

Jim-

My memory from the 1950s is a little dim. I can't find my original
J-38, but did find several other keys I've picked up over the years.

There is one J-38 like my original one from the 50s. There are two J-37
keys: one like you described and one like the J-38. One of the J-37s
is mounted on a knee-clamp!

The J-37 that is like the J-38, has the switch part attached to the hot
contact. However the place where the switch lever would bolt to the
base, is missing. I think this was the case I remembered from years
ago. Half of the switch is there, but there is no provision to attach
the lever.

NB-

As you asked in your original post, you need to find a key. Any key.
And get on the air! Your code speed will improve more rapidly when you
are forced to copy in a way you can't when listening to a recording.

It may not matter which style of key you get, as far as RSI is
concerned. You can operate either kind without resting your hand on the
desk.

One feature you may like is a Navy knob. The Navy knob has a round disk
under the knob. You can make one by drilling a hole in a poker chip,
and mounting it under the original knob.

Fred
K4DII

Old April 5th 10, 01:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names wrote:

After reading all the replies on this thread, I'm tempted to ask:

"Don't you people know that CW is dead?"

While you prepare your answers, I'm off to work the low end of 40.

I am a retired Police Dispatcher.. One day one of my dispatchees had a
radio problem (Bad Mic cable) and could not talk to me.

Since we were both licensed hams, and both knew it. We managed to get
the necessary traffic passed and his rig scheduled for a very quick
visit with the Radio Shop.. No problem.

So, CW may be dead... But the number of carriers I find on the band
suggests... NOT.

Though I do admit I now know why folks were saying "GOD IS DEAD" some
years ago... But that is a topic for a different NG.

(NOTE: This statement does not comment on anything other than my
knowledge of that subject.. It is thus, NOT open for discussion)

Old April 5th 10, 01:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 4/4/2010 5:46 PM, notbob wrote:
Thank you all for the great replies to my query.

But you didn't answer any of the questions I asked.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Old April 5th 10, 05:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 2010-04-02, Jeffrey Angus wrote:
On 4/1/2010 7:41 PM, notbob wrote:
I figure one is not truly a ham until one can cw

Out of curiosity, could explain why not?

Fifty years ago, My buddy and I (in jr high, then) were going to become
hams. Short story, my family moved, my new surroundings opened up new
vistas and I put all my energies into becoming a rock musician. While my
buddy went on to get his license, I did not. I now want to. As for the cw
thing, I'm a romantic and from a different time.

I was gonna buy a Vibroplex Know Code key, but the reviews
are less than heartening.

I own the Standard version and I haven't had any issues with
it. What exactly were the faults with this?

eHam had one review where the owner described the key as having a "soft" feel:

"The only thing I didn't like is the feel of the contacts. It has a 'soft'
feel due to the upper contact being mounted to a tab, instead of directly to
the lever. The tab bends as contact is made, acting like a leaf spring. I
suspect this is the same situation on all versions of the Vibroplex straight
key.

The solution was simple. I placed a #4 flat washer between the contact tab
and the lever, beside the existing screw and washer. It was necessary to
remove the lever assembly to accomplish this. The new washer is held in
place by the top protrusion of the upper contact. It fills the gap between
the tab and the lever and prevents any spring action from occuring in the
contact tab, providing a more typical feel to the key's action." --N0NV

I don't want a "soft" feel and think spending almost $200 on a key I may
need to modify is not in my best interests.

It's been pointed out that Vibroplex has a new owner and perhaps some
design and/or quality control issues will improve. We'll see.

nb

Old April 5th 10, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 2010-04-05, Jeffrey Angus wrote:
On 4/4/2010 5:46 PM, notbob wrote:
Thank you all for the great replies to my query.

But you didn't answer any of the questions I asked.

Your wish is my command.

nb

Old April 8th 10, 02:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 2010-04-05, Jeffrey Angus wrote:

On 4/4/2010 5:46 PM, notbob wrote:
Thank you all for the great replies to my query.

But you didn't answer any of the questions I asked.

Your wish is my command.

Hi Notbob,

I think maybe Jeff's comment was toward what does or doesn't make a
real Ham. The great thing about Ham radio is that there are so many
facets to the hobby. So many in fact that it isn't possible to
determine one particular part's worth over another. Morse code use is
one of the coolest parts of the hobby, in which very unsophisticated
and low power equipment can in the hands of a skilled practitioner of
the art, be used to communicate around the world. Doesn't get much
better than that. Your comment about the Romantic in you is spot on. I
love the old equipment, one of my borrowed sayings is that "I love the
smell of a tube rig in the morning.
Hopefully however, in time you will come to understand that it isn't
the mode that makes a real ham - it's the person behind the key, or
the mic, or the computer.
Now go get that license, I'll be listening for ya!

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Old April 16th 10, 03:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Apr 5, 8:18 am, Jeffrey Angus wrote:
On 4/4/2010 5:46 PM, notbob wrote:

Thank you all for the great replies to my query.

But you didn't answer any of the questions I asked.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Jeff,

I started with the $20 MFJ brass straight key. Good adjustment span.
Set the contact space with a business card. Make sure you remove the
telegraph short bar or set it right. Office friends pitched in and got
me a Bencher RJ2 for retirement. It's all I use now. Retail
$155...discounted $130.

Probably the reason you never got the answers is there probably are
only opinions. Straight vs. bug. vs paddles? Reality does have top
speed capable is with the iambic paddles, but is top speed best means
of communication? I've known straight key users to send consistently
35 wpm. They use those speeds with others of like ability. Remember,

you have to copy at/near the speed you send, so being able to blaze
away with an iambic paddle at 60-70 wpm means you expect to copy from
the lone ham out there at the same rate.

90% of my CW contacts are 20 wpm; most around 15. That seems to be
about average copy ability for information QSOs.

Our CW group of 6 has 5 paddlers and 1 straight. My now-SK CW Elmer
could move between paddle and straight for SKNs (straight key nights).
He expressed that it is easier to learn on paddle and move later to
straight keys -- but that was his opinion. Most contests pass
rudimentary information and you develop a pattern of copying and
sending based on the contest info. Often you are copying a recorded
'macro'.

73,
Carl
KB9RVB

FS: Wm. Nye Co. Straight Key Bill Golden Equipment 0 March 8th 08 06:54 AM
FS: Wm. Nye Co. Straight Key Bill Golden Swap 0 March 8th 08 06:54 AM
OT - Speed Test - ignore. - File 1 of 1 - Speed.rtf (01/31) Buck Frobisher Radio Photos 4 November 13th 07 07:40 PM
straight key Noon-Air Equipment 4 May 1st 06 03:23 AM
let me get this straight...................... CB 10 December 13th 03 10:01 AM