Old December 3rd 10, 10:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1738 - December 3 2010

Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) Report 1738 - December 3 2010

Amateur Radio Newsline report number 1738 with a release date of
Friday, December 3rd 2010 to follow in 5-4-3-2-1.

The following is a Q-S-T.

A jammer of ham radio communications is convicted in a United Kingdom
court but nobody knows why he did it. We have the details. Also, a
new broadband threat to ham radio on 75 and 80 meters in a tiny modem
from France and its time to say goodbye to an old friend from Sony.
Find out the details on Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) report number 1738
coming your way right now.

(Billboard Cart Here)

**

ENFORCEMENT: UK REPEATER JAMMER CONVICTED AND SENTENCED

It's taken the better part of four years, but a jammer of amateur radio
of repeater operations in the United Kingdom has been brought to
justice. Jeremy Boot G4NJH, is in Nottingham with the details:

--

A Hull resident was sentenced at Hull Crown Court on 22 November for
causing deliberate interference to amateur radio users in the Hull

Commenting on the sentence, Paul Mercer, Head of enforcement at Ofcom,
said: "There are around 900 amateur radio users in and around the Hull
area, who have been deliberately disrupted for more than four years.
Ofcom is very pleased with this result, which will hopefully give these
users some welcome relief, as well as sending a very strong signal to
those that abuse the airwaves. This followed a dedicated investigation
by Ofcom involving six enforcement officers working day and night to
bring the culprit to court.''

Mr Sheldon, the Court Recorder commended Ofcom for the quality of the
evidence that had been collated and the quality of file presented in
court. RSGB General Manager Peter Kirby, G0TWW, said "RSGB volunteers
co-operated closely with Ofcom in gathering evidence for this case.
This conviction shows that deliberate interference will not be
tolerated and can have serious consequences for the perpetrator."

I'm Jeremy Boot, G4NJH, and you are listening to the Amateur Radio
Newsline.

--

The British newspaper The Register identifies the perpetrator as 63
year old Clive McMurray. According to the newspaper he has so far not

**

THE BPL WARS: NEW WPC MODEM OPERATES ON 2 - 4 MHZ

A new threat to the 75 meter ham radio band. This as a French company
called Watteco has developed a new powerline modem based on Watt Pulse
Communication or W-P-C technology that the Wireless Institute of
Australia says transmits across the 2 to 4 MHz segment of the High
Frequency radio spectrum.

Described as a small, low cost, low power consumption modem, the device
can be used for any type of data communication applications such as
Smart Power Meters, home lighting and appliance control and street
lighting to name only a few. According to the WIA News, the unit
reportedly transmits a wideband signal that completely covers the
amateur radio 75 and 80 meter ham bands and effectively rendering them
useless anywhere in the proximity of the device.

For those interested, technical data on the modem can be found on-line
at tinyurl.com/2u24lae. (WIA News)

**

ENFORCEMENT: FCC GOES AFTER MAINLAND CHINA CELLULAR JAMMER SUPPLIER

Back in the United States, the FCC has issued an Official Citation the
mainland China based company Jammer World and its on-line subsidiary
TheJammerStore dot com. This, for marketing unauthorized radio
frequency devices in the United States in violation of the
Communications Act and Section 2.803(a)(1) of the Commission's rules.
Amateur Radio Newsline's Norm Seeley, KI7UP, has the details:

--

According to the FCC Citation, this past July 20th an agent from the
Enforcement Bureau's Columbia Office viewed Jammer World's web site.

On July 21, 2010, the agent made an undercover buy on-line, and
received the device through the mail from New Century Technology
Limited. The agent conducted tests and confirmed that the device jams
signals in the Cellular Telephone Band from 845 to 975 MHz, the PCS
Band from 1800 to1996 MHz and G-P-S frequency of 1575.42 MHz.

Based on this and other findings, the FCC Citation tells Jammer World
that if it continues to violate the Communications Act or the Rules by
engaging in sales to customers in nthe United States, the Commission
may impose monetary forfeitures of up to $16,000 for each such
violation or each day of a continuing violation and up to $112,500 for
any single act or failure to act. In addition, violations of the
Communications Act or the Rules can result in seizure of equipment
through forfeiture actions, as well as criminal sanctions, including
imprisonment.

The only problem with this citation is that the company is located in
Shenzhen China and the Chines government has a long record of not
cooperating with the United States in matters involving on-line sales
by mainland China based companies. Without the Chinese governments
cooperation, collecting a fine or forcing the company to not sell mail
order to customers in the United States may be an impossible task.

For the Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Norm Seeley, KI7UP, in Scottsdale,
Arizona.

--

As we go to air, TheJammerStore dot com was still offering cellphone
and GPS jamming devices for sale, worldwide. (FCC)

**

HAM RADIO NEAR SPACE: MEXICAN HAMS LAUNCH CROSSBAND BALLOON REPEATER
EXPERIMENT

A recently launched Mexican near space crossband repeater carried on a
high altitude balloon has been deemed an overwhelming success.

The SARSEM-ICARUS II Mexican Aerostatic Sub-Space Repeater System was
launched on November 20th. According to flight controllers, the
balloon reached an altitude of 94,301 feet during which time 103
contacts where made using the crossband repeater. Ground stations
reported it having coverage of 551 miles across 13 States of Mexico.

The balloon's payload consisted of a UHF to VHF repeater, temperature
and voltage sensors, a flight computer, and a secondary backup system
including another GPS and control system. Also on board was a video
camera transmitting live video bacxk to the ground on 900Mhz.

This is a second ham radio balloon flight success for the Amateur Radio
Club of the State of Guanajuato. The group has already announced its
planning a third flight in 2011. (ARCSJ)

**

WORLDBEAT: BROADCAST TRANSMITTER SITE IN WALES IS VANDALIZED

Vandalism to a transmitter temporarily forced a broadcaster in Wales
off the air. What are described as hooligans attacked the radio
transmitter site and caused BBC Radio Wales on 882 KHz to shut down for
three hours. The exact nature of the vandalism was not revealed. The
site in north Somerset broadcasts across much of Wales. The damage
also hit services from other broadcasters who share the site.
(Soiuthgate)

**

BREAK 1

From the United States of America, We are the Amateur Radio Newsline,

heard on bulletin stations around the world including the W4DUX
repeater serving Port Charlotte Forida.

(5 sec pause here)

**

RESCUE RADIO: HAMS REUNITE MISSING HORSE WITH OWNER

An Alabama amateur radio operator's weekend trek into a national forest
turns into an experience he and members of one family will never
forget. Rex Free, KN4CI, had no idea he was in for a bloody scene that
would lead to a storybook happy ending. As Amateur Radio Newsline's
David Black, KB4KCH reports from our Southeastern Bureau, the entire
episode depended on amateur radio:

--

Thanksgiving weekend was the perfect time for Rex Free and two fellow
hikers to set out exploring North Alabama's Bankhead National Forest.

--

Free: We were in the middle of the wilderness area, probably about
three miles from the vehicle, exploring bluffs and looking at tree

--

There's no one around, and with no cell phone coverage, no one to call.

--

(Free/bite 2) Free: "After we got the saddle off we started thinking
that there could be a person around here or there could be a body

--

As a frequent visitor to the forest, Free always takes his amateur
radio handy talkie with him. He uses the Bankhead Amateur Radio Club's

--

Coan: "I was devastated. I was so worried that something had happened
to hurt him. That he ewas out there hurt and that there was nothing I

--

It will be the next day before the animal can be rescued; in the
meantime, Free uses ham radio to communicate with the owners:

--

Free: "At the campsite at night we were relaying traffic to the owners
and what they needede to bring in to get the horse; what condition the

--

The following morning, Pamela and the horse she named Joe Dirt--because
he loves to roll in the dirt--are reunited.

--

Coan: "I never thought that I'd see him again, and then there he was
standing. I couldn't get to him fast enough just to touch him. You

--

Joe Dirt's rescue brings a happy end to Pam Coan's emotional roller
coaster ride. And she's thankful, too, for the key role Free and his

--

Coan: "They're a blessing. They're heroes. I don't even know how to
thank them for what they've done."

--

As for Joe Dirt, he's home, happy and doing well...rolling in the dirt
as he loves to do.

From the South East Bureau in Birmingham, Alabama, Im David Black,

KB4KCH, for the Amateur Radio Newsline.

--

Joe Dirt appears to have followed the same advice hikers are given
about what to do if they get lost which is to just stay put. Rescuers

**

HAM RADIO IN SPACE: EXPEDITION 24 ALL HAM CREW RETURNS HOME

Members of the Expedition 24 and 25 crews that spent 160 days on-orbit
on board the International Space Station has returned to soild ground.
On Friday, November 26th Commander Doug Wheelock, KF5BOC along with
Flight Engineers Shannon Walker, KD5DXB, and Fyodor Yurchikhin, RN3FI
landing in Kazakhstan on flying home in a Russian-built Soyuz space
vehicle.

While on-orbit, both Wheelock and Walker collectively made 22 ARISS
contacts with schools around the world. In addition, Wheelock was on
the air making one on one contacts as his time and work schedule
allowed. Before leaving the ISS, Wheelock recorded a 20 minute video
tour of part of the space station that included a live demonstration of
his making contacts with hams on Earth. OIne seemed especially
memorable for Commander Wheelock. Take a listen:

--

Contact audio here. Hear it on the MP3 edition of this weeks newscast
downloadable at www.arnewsline.org

--

You can hear and see that entire video including the I-S-S tour on-line
at tinyurl.com/3yep54f (ARISS, NASA)

**

HAM RADIO IN SPACE: TWO HAMS IN NEW ISS CREW SOON TO LAUNCH

Meantime, replacements for the now returned space adventurers will soon
be on their way to orbit. On December 17th a new trio of flight
engineers are expected to arrive at the I-S-S following a December 15th
launch. They are identified U.S. astronaut Catherine Coleman, KC5ZTH,
the European Space Agency's Paolo Nespoli, whose call is IZ0JPA and
Russian cosmonaut Dmitry Kondratyev. And we will have more ham radio
related space news later on in this weeks Amateur Radio Newsline
report. (ARISS, NASA)

**

RADIO LAW: FCC EXTENDS NEW EAS-CAP COMPLIANCE DEADLINE

The FCC is giving broadcasters, cable operators, satellite radio and
television operators and wireline video service providers more time to
implement the next generation emergency alert system. The commission
announced on November 18th that it will move the deadline for
compliance from March 29, 2011, to September 30, 2011.

In 2007, the FCC set a communications industry compliance deadline of
180 days after FEMA adopted the standard for the Common Alerting
Protocol or C-A-P formatted emergency messages. Since then the agency
has extended that date based on public comment and a specific
recommendation by the FCC's Communications Security, Reliability and
Interoperability Council.

This latest extension is to give broadcasters, cable operators and
others sufficient time for development, testing and potential
certification of the new equipment. The FCC added that in making the
decision that it took into account the cost of buying the new compliant
equipment in extending the Common Alerting Protocol adoption deadline.

While its been reported that a handful of amateur repeaters carry EAS
alerts, there is no law or rule that requires them to do so. (FCC)

**

RADIO CONFERENCES: ESA TO AWARD TEN SCHOLARSHIPS TO STUDENTS
PRESENTING BAT SPACE CONFERENCE

An Italian astronomic study group has announced that the European Space
Agency Education Office has offered ten scholarships. These for
students who present papers at the 1st International Academy of
Astronautics Conference on University Satellites Missions and the
Cubesat Conference to be held in Rome from January 24th to the 29th of
2011. Students selected by the ESA Education Office will also be
reimbursed their conference registration fee and awarded a maximum
stipend of 300 Euros to help cover travel and accommodation expenses.
More information is on line at tinyurl.com/25wouy5. (ANS)

**

NAMES IN THE NEWS: N6GHZ APPOINTED AS AMSAT DIRECTOR OF LAUNCH
OPPORTUNITIES

Some names in the news. First up is Bill Ress, N6GHZ, of Camino,
California. He has been appointed to the newly created post as
AMSAT's Director of Launch Opportunities by the organizations President
Barry Baines, WD4ASW. In his new capacity, Ress will serve as the
central point for managing Fox Launch Opportunities, Ride Share
Opportunities as well as coordinating AMSAT's presence at small
satellite conferences. Supporting Ress efforts will be a volunteer
task force to help coordinate and compile launch information. (ANS)

**

NAMES IN THE NEWS: MARK RODWELL TO RECEIVE IEEE-SARNOFF AWARD

Mark J.W. Rodwell will receive the 2010 I-Triple-E David Sarnoff Award
at a meeting in San Francisco in December. Rodwell is a research
scientist who developed indium phosphide heterojunction bipolar
transistors that are capable of operating at very high frequencies.

According to an I-Triple-E release, in doing so Rodwell set the
guidelines for further improvements enabling powerful radio, optical
communications and imaging applications. The award specifically
recognizes his development of millimeter-wave and sub-millimeter-wave
indium phosphide heterojunction bipolar transistors and associated
integrated circuits. (RW)

**

NAMES IN THE NEWS: VE5TRF NAMED RAC SASKATCHEWAN SM

And Barry MacKenzie VE5TRF has been appointed Radio Amateurs of
Canada's Section Manager for Saskatchewan effective immediately.
MacKenzie has a military background, and is the current President of
the Moose Jaw Amateur Radio Club, an accredited examiner as well as the
clubs webmaster. MacKenzie's appointment was announced on November 20th
by Radio Amateurs of Canada's Doug Mercer, VO1DTM, who is the
organizations Vice President for Field Services. (RAC)

**

BREAK 2

This is ham radio news for today's radio amateur. From the United
States of America, We are the Amateur Radio Newsline with links to the
world from our only official website at www.arnewsline.org and being
relayed by the volunteer services of the following radio amateur:

(5 sec pause here)

**

EMERGING TECHNOLOGY: LONG DELAYED ECHOS CAPTURED ON 40M

Another case of Long Delayed Echo's of a ham radio signal being heard
by the originating station has been reported and this time the ham had
enough time to capture the sound to a recording. Amateur Peter Brogl,
DK6NP, reports hearing Long Delayed Echos on 7 MHz during a
geomagnetic storm on November 27th. This is part of one of the
recordings he made:

--

Long Delayed Echo audio: Hear it on the MP3 edition of this weeks
newscast downloadable at www.arnewsline.org

--

What you just heard was what DK6NP heard forty-six seconds after he
transmitted his call sign at 7 MHz, he received an echo of his own

Long Delayed Echo's are not a new phenomena. They were first reported
in 1927 by Norwegian civil engineer Jorgen Hals but happen rarely and
are not really understood. Most researchers believe that unusual
propagation conditions linked to solar storms may be one of many
possible explanations. Others can be seen on Shlionskiy's Long Delayed
Echo page at tinyurl.com/355lvc6. Audio recordings made by DJ6NP of
the 7MHz Long Delayed Echos can be heard at brogl.net/audio. (Space
Weather, Southgate)

**

HAM RADIO IN SPACE: UK SPACE AGENCY TO USE AMSAT-UK FUNCUBE BOARDS ON
NEW BIRD.

The United Kingdom's Space Agency is proposing to use the AMSAT-UK
designed FUNcube boards. This, as part of its innovative new UKube-1
CubeSat satellite slated for launch in December 2011.

The baseline design for this new bird includes a set of FUNcube boards
to provide the educational outreach for the project. AMSAT-UK is
presently discussing the precise details of an arrangement with the
UKube-1 project team. If adopted, use of these boards will enable a
much higher level service to be provided for Science, Technology,
Engineering and Mathematics outreach to schools than would be possible
with other spacecraft designs.

More on this project is on-line at tinyurl.com/27cotj6 (AMSAT-UK)

**

WORLDBEAT: VK100WIA - THE FINAL SCORE

Some interesting statistics from down-under. This, as the Wireless
Institute of Australia closes the logbook on its centenary station
VK100WIA. Graham Kemp, VK4BB, is here with some very interesting
numbers:

--

With the log book now finalized at 24,440 contacts David Park VK3JDA
has carried out some further in-depth analysis of its 611 pages. The

Looking at the modes used, as would be expected SSB comes up triumphs
with 19,000 contacts, and CW got a very good pounding with nearly 1400
QSO's logged. Others listed as modes in the log were AM, IRLP, D-STAR,
PSK, JT65C, SSTV, ATV, APRS and one EME or moon bounce contact.

For the Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Graham Kemp, VK4BB, of the WIA News
in Australia.

--

And less we forget a final word of congratulations to our friends at
the Wireless Institute of Australia on this 100th anniversary

**

WORLDBEAT: MAJOR SITE RENTAL INCREASE FORCES UK REPEATER TO GO QRT

The GB3PF 70 centimeter voice repeater near Blackburn in the United
Kingdom is be closing down. This, after its operator, North Western
Repeater Group, was notified of a site rental cost increase that would
have the club paying more than œ6000 a year for site space. That's
over $9300 in U-S dollars and is beyond the means of the small ham
radio group. Until now, the group was paying what was described as a
small nominal site rental fee.

**

DX

In DX, ZS6SIG has relocated to Nairobi, Kenya is now signing 5Z4EE and
will be doing so for the next four years. He will operational on 160
through 10 meters. Please QSL via NV7E or at the address shown for
5Z4EE on QRZ.com. By the way, this is the same call that he originally
held back in the 1980s.

Russian Robinson Club members NL8F and N3QQ are off to the Marshall
Islands to activate three Islands On The Air including a new
uninhabited island. Their operation will continue through December
16th. QSL V73RRC and V73QQ via N7RO and V73CF via K8NA.

F1BCS, will be active as portable 3B8 from Mauritius through December
17th. His operation will be on 20, 17 and 15 meters using SSB, RTTY and
PSK. QSL per the operator's instructions.

VK8NSB, is currently in the planning stages at the moment for a
DXpedition to Timor-Leste in July 2011. He is inviting any interested
amateurs in joining the DXpedition teamto e-mail him at vk8nsb at
hotmail dot com.

VK4KHZ, is expected to be active as H44DA when he arrives on
Guadalcanal Island January 6th. He will be there through January 16th
operating holiday style primarily on 6 meters on a daily basis, subject
to favorable conditions. He may also operate on the High Frequency
bands as time permits. QSL via VK4KHZ.

DJ2EH is on the air as ZD9T from Tristan da Cunha until December 8th.
No operating schedule was made public. QSL via his home call.

And lastly, listen out for VP8SCC to begin transmitting using various
digital modes during December. His operation will be from the Falkland
Islands Sea Cadet Corps unit. This is a young person's organization and
is run with a nautical theme based on the traditions of the Royal Navy.
The VP8SCC station is managed by VP8CWQ. QSL to the Falkland Islands
Sea Cadet Corps, c/o PO Box 785, Stanley, FIQQ 1ZZ, the Falkland
Islands.

**

THAT FINAL ITEM: THE SONY WALKMAN - SK

And finally this week, as the holiday gift giving season approaches we
are kind of sad to report that the famed Sony Walkman will likely be on
dealer shelves for the last time this year. This is because Sony has
announced that the thirty-one year old cassette tape based unit is
being phased out of production. Amateur Radio Newsline's Bruce
Tennant, K6PZW, is here with our final goodbye:

--

The Sony Walkman -- the cassette tape player that forever changed music
listening habits before becoming outdated by digital MP3 players --has

If you're looking to put a date in the Walkman's tombstone, then
October 25, 2010, is as good as any. Perhaps October 23, 2001, the day
the Apple iPod was launched, is the better date. But none of the
success of Apple's portable music players and those of other
manufacturers would have ever happened without the Sony cassette tape
Walkman.

Some 220 million Walkman players were sold since the first model, the
TPS-L2, debuted in July 1979. It was developed under the stewardship
of Sony founders Akio Morita and Masaru Ibuka. Morita insisted the
device be focused on high quality mobile playback which was considered
a relatively odd idea at the time.

Originally called the "Soundabout" in the U.S., Sony quickly replaced
the Soundabout name with the Walkman designation. It retailed for
around $200 was an immediate sensation. In fact, it was quickly hailed
by supporters as a total revolution in mobile music listening.

But more than just portability, the Walkman fostered a personalization
of one's music. In fact, the Walkman was also the father of the
so-called mixtape. For the first time, music listening was something
you could make very personal by arranging songs in the order you wanted
to hear to them. It was also a way of courting a future spouse or love
interest during the 1980's and 1990's.

For those of you too young or simply unfamiliar with this process,
making a mixtape typically entailed gathering songs, putting them all
on a cassette in the order you wanted them played, labeling the tape
with care and giving it to a love interest in school or elsewhere.

The Walkman didn't disappear as much as it was improved upon by its
creators and others. Sony continued to use it as a brand, but the
company long ago surrendered style to Apple and the ubiquitous iPod.
But one day the iPod will likely go the way of the 45 RPM record, the
L.P. and the Walkman. When that happens in some far distant time, that
generation will be waxing nostalgic about its passing just as we are
today about the Walkman as it becomes a part of electronic history.

For the Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Bruce Tennant, K6PZW, looking for
my earphones and cassette tapes in Los Angeles.

--

The Walkman is survived by the CD-based Sony Discman and hundreds of
Chinese-made knock-off tape based players. It's also revered by those

**

NEWSCAST CLOSE

With thanks to Alan Labs, AMSAT, the ARRL, the CGC Communicator, CQ
Magazine, the FCC, the Ohio Penn DX Bulletin, Radio Netherlands, Rain,
the RSGB, the Southgate News and Australia's WIA News, that's all from
the Amateur Radio Newsline(tm). Our e-mail address is
. More information is available at Amateur
Radio Newsline's(tm) only official website located at
www.arnewsline.org. You can also write to us or support us at Amateur
Radio Newsline(tm), 28197 Robin Avenue, Santa Clarita California, 91350

For now, with Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF, at the editors desk, I'm Jeff
Clark, K8JAC, saying 73 and we thank you for listening.

Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) is Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.