Old October 18th 11, 03:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default I need information about GPS and a company called LightSquared

Thanks for reading this. I'm looking to correspond with hams who are
experts in GPS technology, and who are also familiar with a plan being
debated at the FCC that will allow a company called LightSquared to
install a terrestrial network in the L band 1 Satellite band adjacent to
GPS.

Because LightSquared is seeking to "repurpose" the L Band 1 for
terrestrial use, there is a fierce debate raging over the possible
affects the LightSquared network will have on Civilian and Military GPS
receivers. The Air Force General who is in charge of GPS has stated
publicly that the systems cannot coexist, while other claim that the
interference claims are overblown and that they're being made by
companies that stand to benefit by limiting competition in the cellular
data space, or by companies making cheap GPS receivers who don't want to
upgrade their designs.

Please contribute your expertise, especially if you're able to comment
on the likelihood that LightSquared's use of the 1510 - 1559 MHz
spectrum will interfere with the proper operation of the GPS network,
and how such interference would alter APRS.

73,

Bill, W1AC
(Remove QRM from email for direct replies)

Old October 18th 11, 03:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 10/18/2011 9:24 AM, Bill Horne wrote:
Thanks for reading this. I'm looking to correspond with hams who are
experts in GPS technology, and who are also familiar with a plan being
debated at the FCC that will allow a company called LightSquared to
install a terrestrial network in the L band 1 Satellite band adjacent to
GPS.

http://www.mobiledia.com/news/112091.html

"We have a new project that you have to pay to coexist with."

Lovely business plan.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"

Old October 18th 11, 05:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Jeffrey Angus" wrote

http://www.mobiledia.com/news/112091.html

"We have a new project that you have to pay to coexist with."

Lovely business plan.

Exactly. LightSquared should have figured on all this and found somewhere
else to play. Their apparent arrogance is a real mind-boggler.

Old October 18th 11, 06:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

In "Howard Lester"
wrote:

"Jeffrey Angus" wrote

http://www.mobiledia.com/news/112091.html

"We have a new project that you have to pay to coexist with."

Lovely business plan.

Exactly. LightSquared should have figured on all this and found
somewhere else to play. Their apparent arrogance is a real
mind-boggler.

They don't need to be arrogant; they're politically connected.

--
Bert Hyman W0RSB St. Paul, MN