Old January 16th 13, 06:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default ARRL drops the other shoe on print version of QST

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 20:40:52 EST, David Ryeburn
wrote:

I don't have the PDF files you write about, but if they are standard PDF
files and if you use Adobe Reader, at least on a Mac when you re-open a
PDF file if you have made the right Preference choices for Adobe Reader
the file will open to the very same page you were looking at when you
closed the file. Perhaps Windows machines behave differently.

In Adobe Reader Preferences, select the "Documents" category and click
the "Restore last view settings when reopening documents" choice. Then
the same page will show up that you were looking at when you closed a
PDF document. You just have to make this preference choice once, and
then it will hold for all PDF documents you look at in the future.

This setting is in the Windows version, also. It was unchecked.
Once I checked it, PDF files open again where I left off.
Thanks for the tip!

One strong suggestion: If you use Adobe Reader, disable JavaScript for
it, again in the Preferences. (There is a "Javascript" item in the
Preference Categories list.) Frequently Adobe's implementation of
Javascript has opened up entry points for malware. They'll find this
out, cure it with an upgrade to Adobe Reader, and then a new entry way
will be found by the bad guys. I just permanently disable Javascript in
my copy of Adobe Reader.

Good idea. Done.

Dick Grady, AC7EL

Old January 16th 13, 10:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 2013-01-13, Red Blade wrote:

The only way I will subscribe to a "digital magazine" is if it's a DRM-
free PDF file (like K9YA is).

Never, ever gonna happen. It's fairly crappy looking because of the DRM
wrapper that it comes in. But if they simply made it a PDF or HTML what
would keep you from sending it to 100,000 of your buddies?

No reason to buy the cow when the milk is free...

--
Jeff, KE9V

Old January 17th 13, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 2013-01-13, Red wrote:

The only way I will subscribe to a "digital magazine" is if it's a DRM-
free PDF file (like K9YA is).

Never, ever gonna happen. It's fairly crappy looking because of the DRM
wrapper that it comes in. But if they simply made it a PDF or HTML what
would keep you from sending it to 100,000 of your buddies?

No offense, OM, but I think we're getting off track he I don't think
DRM is the cause of the online edition of QST looking less-than-ideal.

I don't care what DRM the ARRL chooses: the issue for me is that the
online edition is just a page-by-page image of the printed version, and
I don't feel that this is a viable way to make QST available online.

73,

Bill, W1AC

--
Bill Horne
(Remove QRM from my address to write to me directly)

Old January 17th 13, 07:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 2013-01-17, Bill Horne wrote:

No offense, OM, but I think we're getting off track he I don't think
DRM is the cause of the online edition of QST looking less-than-ideal.

Sorry, but not off track. I was responding to another post. Check the
thread a little closer.

--
Jeff, KE9V

Old January 18th 13, 04:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
MM MM is offline

On 1/17/13 11:34 AM, Bill Horne wrote:
I don't care what DRM the ARRL chooses: the issue for me is that the
online edition is just a page-by-page image of the printed version, and
I don't feel that this is a viable way to make QST available online.

I dunno, that's the way I prefer it. They can imbed links to more info
so you can look at them if you want, which I think they do. How else
would you want it? Anything else would be just a bunch of web pages, it
wouldn't be QST anymore.

FWIW, the iPad QST app works quite well. I wish they had an Android
version too, I don't particularly care for the web version.

To each his own, I guess.

73... Mark AA7TA

Old February 4th 13, 02:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 1/13/2013 11:39 AM, Red Blade wrote:

I'm not an ARRL fan, so I don't know about what QST is doing right now,
but we won't get into that.

The only way I will subscribe to a "digital magazine" is if it's a DRM-
free PDF file (like K9YA is).

The digital QST requires you enter your call an ARRL password the first
time you open it.. So that's a form of DRM I'd guess. Though it's easy
to get around You can make copies, (or download the same edition 20
times if you like) but you have to "Authorize" each copy by entering
your call and password.

I am going to go digital only .. This, however, is because of how I live
(For a picture of my house QRZ my call) Paper editions cost me money.
Digital does not.

--
Nothing adds Excitement like something that is none of your business.
Remove the invalid part to email me.

Old February 4th 13, 02:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 2013-01-17, Bill wrote:

No offense, OM, but I think we're getting off track he I don't think
DRM is the cause of the online edition of QST looking less-than-ideal.

Sorry, but not off track. I was responding to another post. Check the
thread a little closer.

The DRM that ARRL uses is not real DRM, you can make unlimited copies,
you can download as many copes as yoru bandwidth will allow, It is just
that the first time you open a copy on any given computer you have to
"log in" with your ARRL user name (Call) and password and you must be
connected to the net. That one time.

After that it opens normally.

Older versions you can download PDF's. they are straight scans of the
paper document. But you need to download article by article by
article, Major pita.

That said.. I have to say I do not really like the Nextbook system.
Lots of reasons. Even if there are things in the digital version (like
hyperlinks) they can not put on paper (Though they are starting to put a
few QR codes on paper) I would much prefer say Mobi format (kindle) or
Nook or ________.

Old February 4th 13, 02:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 1/18/2013 11:50 AM, MM wrote:
On 1/17/13 11:34 AM, Bill Horne wrote:
I don't care what DRM the ARRL chooses: the issue for me is that the
online edition is just a page-by-page image of the printed version, and
I don't feel that this is a viable way to make QST available online.

I dunno, that's the way I prefer it. They can imbed links to more info
so you can look at them if you want, which I think they do. How else
would you want it? Anything else would be just a bunch of web pages, it
wouldn't be QST anymore.

FWIW, the iPad QST app works quite well. I wish they had an Android
version too, I don't particularly care for the web version.

To each his own, I guess.

73... Mark AA7TA

LKikewise on the Andriod request, I do have Adobie Air installed on my
'droid so it should be possible.... Have not yet tried it.

I'm not an I-Fan.