Old December 18th 14, 04:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

Default [G4VXE] An unexpected antenna problem

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
For multiple coax runs along the same route, use different values so one
can tell the difference between the various coax cables.

Good idea but most of those type runs use coax connectors, where
attaching the resistor across a coax connector is tricky. However, it
will work for ladder line.

Good idea that has been around for a long time. Problem for me is that
almost all of my antennas have a matching device or balun that shows up as a
DC short.

---

Old December 18th 14, 11:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

On 18/12/14 16:49, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

For multiple coax runs along the same route, use different values so one
can tell the difference between the various coax cables.

Good idea but most of those type runs use coax connectors, where
attaching the resistor across a coax connector is tricky. However, it
will work for ladder line.

Good idea that has been around for a long time. Problem for me is that
almost all of my antennas have a matching device or balun that shows up as a
DC short.

No short = buggered cable!

So you'd get the same test result as the resistor approach except as a
go/nogo readout instead of an ohmage.

--
Spike

"Hard cases, it has frequently been observed, are apt to introduce bad
law". Judge Rolfe

Old December 18th 14, 11:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 11:49:07 EST, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Good idea that has been around for a long time. Problem for me is that
almost all of my antennas have a matching device or balun that shows up as a
DC short.

yes...that has its drawbacks but at least you'll know when your coax
goes open cct. :-)