Old December 21st 15, 11:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [KB6NU] Club meeting idea: Chinese radio clinic

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Club meeting idea: Chinese radio clinic

Ed Oxer, W8EO e-mailed me the other day Â*in response to my recent post on
Chinese radios. Attached was this meeting notice from a club down in
Florida.

Ed attended the meeting, and sent me this report:

At their session testing Chinese radios, the Wellington club ran a contest
and awardedÂ*prizes for the radio with the best specs. About ten showed up,
many with three or four radios, mostly Wouxun and Baofeng. Everyone got to
test one radio. Larry, KS4NB, who ran the meeting also favorably reviewed a
couple of Quad band radios that look good for a Tech that wanted to work 10
through 70 cm:

TYT TH-9800 Two-Way Radio
TC-8900R 50W Mobile Vehicle Transceiver

On the question of buying a radio from Amazon, they seemed to be in favor
of paying the extra dollars due to the ease of returns andÂ*the free
shipping with Prime. Several had a difficult time with restocking fees and
a lot of questions about why they were returning the radio from amateur
radio dealers. Apparently, the close margin of profit is related to the
dealer experience. I for one like the lower prices and sales support
available from most amateur radio stores.
The Wellington Radio Club does a nice job with interesting programs under
the leadership of Larry, KS4NB.

I think this would make a great club program, if one of the members has
access to a service monitor or spectrum analyzer. Theres obviously a lot of
interest in these Chinese radios. People are buying them, and with the
economy in China slowing down, we can expect the prices to continue to be
very low.

The post Club meeting idea: Chinese radio clinic appeared first on KB6NUs
Ham Radio Blog.