Old January 13th 16, 12:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [KE9V] The Migration

Perturbation

The Migration

http://ke9v.net/2016/01/12/the-migration/

Ive been reflecting on the past and dreaming a little about the future,
like youre supposed to do at the end of every year. In my case, theres
probably more past than future. Ive been playing radio for almost forty
years, and almost all of that time at HF.

What more would I want to do that I havent already done over so many
decades?

It seems a fair question. One more contact, more DX chasing, another
contest, etc. These things are all well and good and have kept me
entertained for ages but there are other radio related things I want to
pursue before Im too old to enjoy them.

Having considered this for some time now, I started liquidating my HF
equipment. The back-up transceivers, loads of accessories, and nearly my
entire collection of telegraph keys are already gone.

Im intent on migrating from HF and taking up new residence on VHF and
higher for the foreseeable future. If timing really is everything then nows
not a bad time to flee the high frequencies. The downhill run to solar
minimum can be a depressing season for aficionados of the short waves.

Trying to strategize where to begin and what hardware will be required to
anchor this new phase of radio activity has my full attention but Ill
probably start with something as simple as a new handheld transceiver, like
the Kenwood TH-D72A.

The last dual-band handheld I bought was the Yaesu FT-51R in 1995!

Besides just being a much needed new handheld radio, the TH-D72A supports
full-duplex operation making it ideal for FM satellite work. And with the
built-in GPS and packet features, it supports APRS activity as well. I
count that as three birds with one stone making it a good value proposition.

Its only the first step in a completely different direction, but its a
start.
Filed under: Ham Radio Tagged: 2016