Old February 16th 16, 07:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Default [KE9V] Strategic Planning

Perturbation

Strategic Planning

http://ke9v.net/2016/02/15/strategic-planning/

The League recently published its most recent five-year strategic plan,
intended to be “a starting point to assure that ARRL continues its leading
role in the Amateur Radio community. This document is intended lead to
specific tactics, including annual planning, to assure that the ARRL
fulfills its mission”.
As an active radio amateur and a Life Member of the organization, I’m
pleased to see Newington looking ahead, planning for sustained growth and
success in their mission to keep ham radio relevant in this era when
personal communication is no longer considered “magic”.
Have you downloaded the Strategic Plan and studied it yet?
The ARRL mission statement is simply this:
To advance the art, science, and enjoyment of Amateur Radio.
To that end, the working group members have enumerated six specific goals:

Grow Amateur Radio worldwide.
Increase the vitality of Amateur Radio.
Keep Amateur Radio accessible to all.
Advance Amateur Radio science and technology.
Organize and train volunteers to serve their communities by providing
public service and emergency communications.
Practice good governance and organizational management.

We Can Help!
Initiative 4.2: Disseminate information covering the many facets of radio
technology.
While that’s a specific goal for the ARRL, it’s also an area where we can
all lend a hand. Web pages, newsletters, blogs, Twitter, Facebook, digital
publications — social media. We can all be ambassadors for the greatest
hobby in the world. But that requires a certain amount of diligence,
effort, and up to date knowledge about the latest happenings in the world
of amateur radio.
I plan to contact new ARRL President Rick Roderick, K5UR (have you written
to congratulate him on his new job yet?) to suggest the ARRL publish
regularly updated “talking points” about the hobby — along with some online
training for all of us in promoting amateur radio.
Let’s face it, we all cringe when a local news reporter shoves a microphone
in someone’s face to ask about Field Day operations and we hear or read
something along the lines that ham radio is dying with only octogenarians
left to fly the flag for Morse… (sigh).
You know I’m right. We could all use enough training to become effective
Public Information Officers (PIO) for amateur radio, and we should all be
ready to give a good report when the time comes because, in case you
haven’t noticed, ham radio garners a LOT*of attention these days.
Whether it’s the novelty that our kind of radio still exists in the
Internet age or because the ARRL has done a fantastic job of promoting the
hobby, people are finally learning more about us — the media regularly
seeks us out for comment.
And that’s a good thing, but not when our view of the hobby is through a
glass, darkly. We need to always stand ready to deliver a clear and up to
Filed under: Ham Radio Tagged: arrl, tl;dr