Old March 28th 16, 12:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KE9V] DXA - Real Enough Time from Heard Island

Perturbation

DXA - Real Enough Time from Heard Island

http://ke9v.net/2016/03/27/dxa-real-...-heard-island/

Mesmerized by watching the VK0EK operation on Heard Island via nearly
real-time results from the DXA page.

Check it for yourself. Seeing stations worked on various bands, modes, and
at different times of the day becomes an online lesson in HF propagation.
Could be even more interesting to see the impact of any solar events that
might take place over the next few weeks.

Twitter Fade

http://ke9v.net/2016/03/27/twitter-fade/

Twitter’s troubles seem tied to the notion that the service can no longer
grow because it can’t clearly articulate what is supposed to do — or be. Is
it a news source, a chat medium, or an outlet for pictures of food and
foolishness?

While amateur radio enthusiasts have taken to it in fairly large numbers,
I’ve discovered one trend in my own data.

Last year, 15% of my followers hadn’t peeped a tweet for at least the last
three months. Checking that same statistic today, I was surprised to see it
doubled, to almost 30%.

It could be the added aggravation of the 2016 election cycle and the
fatigue that comes from wading through that mess. Or it might be that some
other medium has displaced the time previously spent tweeting. Maybe we’re
all just getting tired of Twitter?

The signal-to-noise issue is easily fixed with lists. I rarely dip into the
thick stream these days, preferring to hangout on the periphery with tweets
from hand-selected users. Good solution, easy fix.

But if Twitter is fading is due to competing services or general malaise,
then TWTR has much bigger problems ahead.