Old May 10th 16, 01:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default [KE9V] Hara Arena Update

ke9v.net

Hara Arena Update

https://ke9v.net/2016/05/09/hara-arena-update/

About the time we all were leaving Hara Arena last year, organizers were
putting up posters detailing the upgrades that would soon be made to the
aging facility. But as it turned out, nothing was done. Problems financing
the renovations arose almost as soon as they were announced. Its a local
government owner of Hara Arena thing.

No updates, no upgrades, no significant improvements. There are even rumors
that the wet Spring weather has inflicted even more damage. If youve been
waiting for an update, there it is as unofficial as it gets.

Despite this news, the 2016 show will be another great one for Hamvention.
More than 25,000 visitors are expected and despite the facilities, Dayton
is a place where radio, friends, and magic come together for one amazing
long-weekend. Few will go home disappointed just because the bathrooms
arent user friendly.

Best Deal at Dayton?

And you know what? Hamvention will go on, even if Hara Arena falls to the
ground. And it will remain in Dayton. I say that because every year some
slow thinker pontificates about how the show should be moved to another
state.

Ill leave it an exercise for the reader why the DAYTON Amateur Radio
Association might not be interested in moving the DAYTON Hamvention to
another state.

If you believe that DARA isnt working on plans for a major transition in
the very near future, you just dont understand the scale of the event. Its
financial worth to the Dayton area is $15 million for one weekend in May
and thats just money. The global publicity for the region could be worth
more than double that. Every year.

Its a BIG deal and it wont suddenly cease even without the arena in
Trotwood. I have ZERO inside information on this, but I think 2016 could be
the final year for Hamvention at Hara Arena. But I have ZERO doubt that
there will be a 2017 show in Dayton and many years after that. Its the
biggest show on earth and the show must go on.

See you next week in Dayton!