Old June 1st 16, 11:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.space

Default [AB1OC/AB1QB] Dayton Hamvention 2016

Our HAM Station

Dayton Hamvention 2016

https://stationproject.wordpress.com...mvention-2016/

Fred,*AB1OC*and I just returned from the*2016 Hamvention in Dayton, OH.

Our first day in Dayton was spent at*Contest University*– this was our
5th*year in attendance but each year we learn more from the contesting
experts. This year, we attended two presentations from Frank
Donovan,*W3LPL*on operating techniques for the declining solar cycle and on
80m and 160m antennas.** We also heard a talk from Val*NV9L*from Ham Nation
on Log Analysis tools and another session on SO2R (Single Operator 2 Radio)
Operating.
Slide from W3LPL Contest University Presentation

Friday was the first day of the Hamvention and we spent most of the day
visiting all of the vendor exhibits.** We visited the*Icom*booth, where we
looked at*the new*Icom 7851. It has an incredible display as well as one of
the best receivers on the market.
Icom IC-7851 Display on a Large Screen TV

We also saw the new*KX2*Transceiver at the Elecraft booth. It is even
smaller than the*KX3*and is perfect for*SOTA*and other portable operations.
I would expect to hear some*NPOTA*activations using this radio.
Elecraft Kx2 on Right, next to a KX3

Friday evening was the*Top Band*dinner where we learned all about “Top Band
Disease” from Larry “Tree” Tyree*N6TR.** Hams with this disease are
nocturnal, love the bottom of the sunspot cycle. They are constantly
improving their 160m antennas – when you upgrade*your receive antenna, then
there are people who can’t hear you, so then you need to improve your
transmit antenna – and the cycle continues
Top Band Dinner Presentation by N6TR

After the dinner, we were treated to a concert from the Spurious Emissions
Band (N0AX,*KX9X,*K4RO,*W4PA), with hits like “On The Cover of the NCJ” and
“Sittin on the Edge of the Band”. They were so funny! You can watch their
performances on YouTube*http://bit.ly/DaytonSpurs2016.
The Spurious Emissions Band Performs at Dayton 2016

On Saturday, Fred,*AB1OC*and I*presented our Station Building talk to
around 250 people as part of the Dayton Contest Forum. It was a great honor
to be selected to speak there by Doug Grant*K1DG, who has been organizing
the Contest Forum for many years.
Fred, AB1OC Speaks at the Contest Forum

We also continued to tour the vendor booths, visiting our fellow Nashua
Area Radio*Club Member Bill Barber,*NE1B, at the*DMR-MARC*booth.
Bill Barber, NE1B at the DMR-MARC Booth

After that, we stopped by*Gordon Wests Ham Instructor*booth where we spoke
to him about the success of our Clubs License classes. *Here is a picture
of Gordon,*WB6NOA*and Fred sharing the secrets of how the Hilbert Transform
and the Flux Capacitor make Single Sideband and Time Travel Possible.
Gordon West, WB6NOA with Fred, AB1OC

We also visited the*AMSAT*booth, where we met Burns*Fisher, *W2BFJ, * who
currently lives in Brookline, NH and is moving to Hollis. * *They had a
cube sat on display you can see how small it is below. *Its amazing that
AMSAT builds and arranges to launch them*into orbit so that we can make
QSOs through them!
Anita, AB1QB Holds a Cube Sat

Fred could not resist a visit to*Begali Keys*where we purchased a neat
travel key. It should be great for operating mobile and for Field Day.
Begali Travel Key

On Sunday, we headed back to New Hampshire, sad that the weekend had come
to an end but full of great memories from the trip.

Anita,*AB1QB

Filed under: Contesting, CW, Hamfests and Hamventions, Satellites, Shack
Design and Construction Tagged: Contesting, CW, Satellites, Station Design