Old June 23rd 16, 06:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] Checklist for a GOTA station

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Checklist for a GOTA station

As in years past, Ill be the head coach of our Field Day GOTA station. (As
I live in Ann Arbor, home of the University of Michigan, Ive been calling
myself the Jim Harbaugh of Field Day.) So, I dont forget to bring anything,
I thought Id come up with a checklist for the station. Please have a look
at the list below and see if Ive missed anything:

Tent or some other kind of shelter. This year, were going to use a 10 by 10
canopyÂ*to make the station open and accessible. When were not operating,
well put the rig in one of the other shelters.
Table and two or three chairs.
Radio. As we normally do, well be using the clubs ICOM IC-746PRO.
Antenna. Well be using my 40m/20m inverted-VÂ*supported by myÂ*surplus
fiberglass mast set. This year, Im even hoping to get around to tuning the
antenna a little better. Last time we connected an antenna analyzer to it,
the resonant frequency was a little low on both 40m and 20m. I also plan to
bring myÂ*box of assorted antenna parts, just in case I need another pully
or insulator or something.
Coax cable. Ill be bringing a 100-ft. spool of RG-8X coax.
20A or more power supply.
Power cable to connect the rig to the power supply.
Extension cords to connect to the generator.
Laptop computer for logging. Dont forget the power cord!
Pad of paper and pens and pencils for keeping track of the GOTA station
operators and for making notes.
Cheat sheets with instructions on how to say the station
callsignÂ*phonetically, how to call CQ, and how to answer a CQ and exchange
Field Day information.

Some other things that arent essential, but that you might want to bring
include:

Camera to take pictures.
Business cards or QSL cards to hand out to people that might be interested
in learning more about amateur radio or your club.
CW key of some kind, just in case someone like Stuart (now W8SRC) shows up.
Bug spray.
Sun screen. Bug spray and sun screen are, arguably, essential items.

So, what did I forget?

The post Checklist for a GOTA station appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio
Blog.