Old July 13th 16, 05:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [W2LJ] Saratoga National Historical Park - a success!

W2LJ's Blog - QRP - Do More With Less.

Saratoga National Historical Park - a success!

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

My outing to Saratoga National Historical Park was an all around success.
I didn't make anywhere near the nunber of QSOs that I wanted to, but it was
still a successful day.

The park wasn't as close to our Lake George location as I had thought.
Yes, it was a 1/2 hour down Interstate 87, but once you get off the
highway, it's roughly another 1/2 hour to the park. It was nice to drive
through the scenery of upstate New York, seeing farms, horse breeding
farms, small towns, etc. You never get to see the "good stuff" from the
major highway.

I arrived at the park a bit later than I had intended, and went to the
Visitor's Center, which was very busy. The Park Rangers were occupied,
talking with the many visitors. When I walked through the doors with my
ARRL NPOTA shirt on, I was greeted with a big smile and a "Are you
activating today?" I answered in the affirmative, that I would situate
myself in the picnic area by the Visitor's Center and I got a quick nod of
approval.

I started out just operating from the Jeep using the Hamstick on 40 Meters
and the Buddistick on 20 Meters. After a while (and a bathroom break) I
decided to deploy the PAR END FEDZ using my drive on mast support and the
Jackite pole. There were tall trees that would have served the purpose, but
that's really a no-no unless you ask for permission ahead of time. The PAR
seemed to perform just as well as the sticks on the Jeep. I didn't notice
any increase in activity after switching over.

I worked up and down the East Coast and into the Midwest. There was one QSO
with W6MYN in California. I tried listening for other NPOTA stations that
I saw spotted on the Cluster, but had no luck there.

At the end, before packing up, I even tried 17 Meters for a bit - no joy
there, either.

In hindsight, yesterday would have been the better day to go, as solar
conditions were much, much better - but it is what it is.
Thanks to all the chasers who stuck with me and allowed me to activate HP42.
72 de Larry W2LJQRP - When you care to send the very least!