Old July 20th 16, 05:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default [W2LJ] Who wudda thunk it?

W2LJ's Blog - QRP - Do More With Less.

Who wudda thunk it?

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

During our Lake George vacation last week, and since coming home, I have
been searching for a plastic box to serve as the permanent enclosure for
the magnetic loop tuning capacitor. Ideally, the box needs to be 6" x 3.5"
X 3.5" (15cm X 9cm X 9cm). Shouldn't be all that hard, right?

It has turned out to be not as easy as I had thought. Years ago, I used to
have a plastic index card box that probably would have been perfect. Of
course, now that I need it and want it, I can't find it anywhere. I either
got rid of it, or I'll find it someday after the project is completed. It
seems that's always how it goes.

There are various kitchen food containers at the supermarket that would
serve the purpose; but I'm looking for something a little more "elegant"
and professional looking. I went to Staples to look at new version of
index card file boxes, and didn't like anything I saw. The plastic, while
rigid, is kind of on the thin side. I can imagine it shattering as soon as
I try to cut holes into it. The more I searched for an off-the-shelf
solution, the more disappointed I became.

Going on the premise that "Google is your friend', I started searching
for "plastic boxes" and subsequently found out that "plastic enclosures" is
more of what I had in mind. I must have gone through about a half dozen
Websites before I finally hit upon www.polycase.com.

I decided upon their WP-33F enclosure, which is pictured he

This is just a tiny bit larger than I had intended, as it's 6" X 4" X 4"
(15cm x 10cm X 10cm), but that's OK as it will allow for more room for my
meaty fingers as I wire up the capacitor to the two SO-239 connectors. It's
made of LEXAN 143R Resin and comes with a weatherproof gasket to make sure
the contents stay nice and dry under outdoor conditions. The cost was a bit
higher than anticipated, but I purchased two ....... because I'll probably
screw up on my first attempt at cutting and drilling (I always do).

Hopefully, they will arrive later this week or early next week.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

Old July 21st 16, 02:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On 07/20/2016 12:52 AM, W2LJ via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin wrote:

W2LJ's Blog - QRP - Do More With Less.

Who wudda thunk it?

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

During our Lake George vacation last week, and since coming home, I have
been searching for a plastic box to serve as the permanent enclosure for
the magnetic loop tuning capacitor. Ideally, the box needs to be 6" x
3.5" X 3.5" (15cm X 9cm X 9cm). Shouldn't be all that hard, right?

I have an "electric loop" tuning capacitor so it probably isn't
compatible. Sincerely, and 73s from N4GGO,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail: