Old July 26th 16, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default [N6PSE] A visit to Elecraft

n6pse

A visit to Elecraft

https://n6pse.wordpress.com/2016/07/...t-to-elecraft/

At a time in our hobby where many businesses are consolidating, closing
their doors or failing to innovate, Elecraft is one of the few bright and
innovative companies in our hobby. Elecraft is located in Watsonville,
California and today, Ned Sterns AA7A and I had the pleasure to visit the
factory and take a tour.

The Elecraft Headquarters in Watsonville, California.

Elecraft was formed in 1998 by Eric Swartz-WA6HQQ and Wayne Burdick-N6KR.

Since that time, they have brought well engineered and highly successful
products to market year after year. Elecraft is most known for their
fabulous customer support and their ethic to “get it right” As an Elecraft
product owner, you do not feel like a beta tester finding their bugs for
them. Their products are available in either kit-form at a reduced price or
fresh from the factory.

You know you are getting close when you see the cars in the lot with the
big antennas.

Their first products were the QRP ready K2 and the K2/100 watt model. In
2008 they brought to market their highly successful K3 transceiver. Last
year, the K3 was upgraded to the K3S. Elecraft also has a highly respected
amplifier (KPA500) and tuner (KAT500).

Ned-AA7A discusses upgrades to his K3 with David Shoaf of Elecraft.

The magic happens behind these walls.

KPA-500 amplifiers going through the burn in process.

Elecraft KX3s in the burn in process. Everything is thoroughly tested
before being shipped to the customer.

Elecraft P3 Panadapters in the production process.

David shows completed products ready to ship.

The tour of Elecraft was fascinating. This is a small, highly efficient
operation. Some components such as cables are manufactured in house, while
some boards and other components are built by contract manufacturers. Much
of the Engineering also takes place offsite with Engineers working from
home and collaborating together to design and implement new products.

I have always been very impressed with Elecraft and my tour of their
factory today only served to increase my appreciation for what they do and
how they do it.

What do you think?