Old September 9th 16, 06:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default [KB6NU] From the trade magazines: Find cable faults, low-cost scopes, antenna measurements

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

From the trade magazines: Find cable faults, low-cost scopes, antenna
measurements

Method finds faults in coaxial cables. This article describes how to use a
spectrum analyzer instead of a time-domain reflectometer (TDR) to find
opens or shorts in a coaxial cable. Basically, using this method, youre
measuring the frequency response of the stub created when a fault occurs.
It occurs to me that you could possibly also use an antenna analyzer to
make this measurement, depending on where the fault is and the frequency
range of the analyzer.

10 scopes for under $1500. The scopes discussedÂ*in this article range in
price from $318 (Siglent SDS1072CML) to $1311 (Keysight DSOX2002A) and
bandwidth from 40 MHz to 100 MHz. If youre thinking about buying a scope
for your shack, this article might be a good start. Its just a start,
though. I think its missing other good choices, such as the
SiglentÂ*SDS1152CML that I have. the SDS1152CML has a 150 MHz bandwidth and
costs about $450.
My SDS1152DML features a 150 MHz bandwidth for a price around $450.

Getting started with antenna measurements. In amateur radio, we talk a lot
about antenna performance, but really have very little in the way of data
to back up our discussions. The reason for this is that making antenna
measurements isnt easy. This short blog post gives a little insight into
this complex topic.

The post From the trade magazines: Find cable faults, low-cost scopes,
antenna measurements appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.