Old September 16th 16, 06:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default [W2LJ] It's a toss up

W2LJ QRP .... Do More With Less

It's a toss up

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

The weather forecast for Sunday is uncertain. There's a good chance for
scattered thunderstorms throughout the afternoon and evening; but the
morning is looking "OK". I have the morning free; as we'll be attending
Church on Saturday evening - so I have two options.

Option A is to attend the Garden State Amateur Radio Association Hamfest in
Tinton Falls, NJ. I've never been to this one. I'm not sure how big it is,
whether or not it's worth it, etc. I am intrigued by their offering
of "entertainment". What could that possibly be?
Hopefully, it's something better than watching a bunch of Hams trying to
duke it out over the "$1 Bargain Bin".
Option B is to activate NPOTA AA17 - The New Jersey Coastal Heritage
Trail. Cheesequake State Park is part of the Trail and seems to offer many
picnic areas near wooded spots. Can you say "antenna support"?

That would offer an ideal location to set up, sit down and possibly launch
a EFHW into a convenient tree. The park opens at 8:00 AM, and now that
Labor Day is behind us, it's now considered to be "Off Season". That means
that there are no park entry fees (cheapskate that I am). If I get there
around 8:30 AM or 9:00 AM-ish, I could operate for a couple or three hours
(probably relatively undisturbed) and still get back in time to do
something with the family.

I'll probably end up going with the NPOTA activation, as it's cheaper (for
me) in the long run. The temptation of GSARA is that I'd probably come home
with something I don't need - an empty wallet.
Stay tuned!
72 de Larry W2LJQRP - When you care to send the very least!