Old October 15th 16, 06:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2033, Friday, Oct. 14, 2016

Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2033, Friday, Oct. 14, 2016

Amateur Radio Newsline Report Number 2033 with a release date of
Friday, Oct. 14, 2016 to follow in 5-4-3-2-1.

**

The following is a QST. Ohio school kids contact the space station -via
an amateur in Italy. The bicycling ham from Denmark returns home to
Copenhagen -- and hams from Australia, Europe and points in between
prepare for a global Summit-to-Summit event. All this and more as
Amateur Radio Newsline's Report #2033 comes your way right now.

***

BILLBOARD CART HERE

**

MUSEUM'S HAM CLUB LINKS STUDENTS TO ISS

JIM/ANCHOR: We open this week's newscast with a space station contact
that took a deliberate and well-planned detour from Cincinnati to
Italy. Here's Amateur Radio Newsline's Stephen Kinford N8WB with the
details.

STEPHEN: Sometimes the best route to take to get from Cincinnati to the
International Space Station goes through Italy. On a map this might not
make geographic sense but to everyone who was involved, it made radio
sense. The Telebridge in Italy with IK1SLD was just what was needed for
a group of Science Technology students in Cincinnati, in the iSPACE
program, who spoke with astronaut Kate Rubins KG5FYJ on Saturday, Oct.
8, The 10-minute contact was facilitated by members of the West Chester
Amateur Radio Association at the National VOA Museum of Broadcasting.
That would be Jocelyn Brault KD8VRX, son Christopher Brault KD8YVJ and
Joe Gruber WD8AZQ, museum board member, who provided their technical
expertise to make it happen. According to the VOA Museum of
Broadcasting, the contact marks the first connection Cincinnati area
students have had with the ISS in more than a decade. It was also the
50th Telebridge contact for IK1SLD. It's likely one everyone will
remember for an even longer time.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Stephen Kinford, N8WB.

(ARISS, JOCELYN BRAULT KD8VRX, VOA MUSEUM OF BROADCASTING)

**

CANADA 150 ANNIVERSARY and LIGHTHOUSE ACTIVATION

JIM/ANCHOR: There's nothing like a lighthouse to help illuminate a
special occasion -- in this case, the 150th anniversary of Canada's
confederation. We hear more from Amateur Radio Newsline's John
Williams, VK4JJW.

JOHN: When it turns 150 years old next year, Canada will become even
more of an OM - that is, if a nation itself can be considered an OM.
Amateurs however celebrate just this kind of special longevity and in
that spirit, there will be an amateur radio activation of the East
Point Lighthouse on Prince Edward Island which was recently named
Canada's Confederation lighthouse.

The lighthouse's site manager, Nova MacIsaac, told the Canadian
Broadcasting Corporation that the lighthouse is the only one in the
country that was built the same year as Confederation - which would be
1867 - that is still functioning as a lighthouse. That designation
makes it eligible for funding to upgrade its exterior and make other
improvements.

Meanwhile, Prince Edward Island amateur George Dewar VY2GF is now hard
at work planning an activation befitting this milestone birthday. Since
that's next year, the event is going to come up fast -- like a flash of
light, even.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm John Williams, VK4JJW

(GEORGE DEWAR VY2GF, CBC)

**

DANISH AMATEUR COMES FULL CYCLE

JIM/ANCHOR: The noted bicycling radio amateur is back home in
Copenhagen -- off his bicycle but not off the air. Amateur Radio
Newsline's Jeremy Boot G4NJH has that story.

JEREMY's REPORT: Danish cyclist Thomas Andersen OZ1AA/K9DXX thinks the
world of his most recent adventure as a radio amateur. It's because his
adventure embraced the world itself, or at least 36,000 miles of it in
58 countries. He's back home now but not before completing a bicycling
adventure begun six years ago, much of it with an HT in his hand.

Andersen wrote on his online diary, cyclingtheglobe.com: QUOTE "I have
cycled through Eastern Europe learning all about the local beer, I have
been chased by dogs in Turkey. I have pedaled through Syria before the
war. I have been a celebrity in Malaysia, and worked on a huge cattle
station in Australia." ENDQUOTE

He celebrated his arrival back home in Copenhagen by operating Special
Event station OZ1BIKE, a way of saying hello to his hometown after a
long, mostly uninterrupted absence as he cycled through the United
States, Canada, South America, parts of Africa and Europe. Now it's
time for the 33-year-old engineer to hop off his cycle for a bit and
simply gear down.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Jeremy Boot, G4NJH.

(cyclingtheglobe.com)

**

MAKING A PRESENT OF THE PAST

JIM/ANCHOR: If you're a ham in the New York area, or if you used to be
one, this next story is for you. Here's Newsline's Paul Braun, WD9GCO.

PAUL's REPORT: When living in the present, it's often easy to forget
about how important the past can be. The realization of that came to
A-Double-R-L member Mike Lisenco, N2YBB, while looking at random stuff
at a hamfest:

MIKE: I was looking at a hamfest - I'm the Hudson Division director so
needless to say I spend a lot of time going to hamfests and club
meetings and what-have-you - and I typically go to these things with
empty pockets so I don't come home with a ton of garbage instead of
cleaning my stuff out.

What happened was I was talking to somebody and I happened to look down
at a box of ephemera that they had and I went through it and I found a
program from the 1982 Hudson Division Convention. I picked it up and
purchased it and took it home and started going through it, and there's
pictures of people from forty years ago, with no gray hair or with full
heads of hair, looking young -- and ads from some clubs that are still
around and some that are now defunct, dealers and what-have-you, and I
came to realize that there was no repository anywhere in the Division
for items of a historical nature to the division such as other
conventions. We have conventions going back to the 30s, apparently
-newsletters that directors used to send out to the division, QSL cards
from people who are very active or club cards, things of that nature. I
realized that the aging of the membership was such that if we didn't
start to collect this information now, it would be gone in no time and
that I found very disturbing.

So I came home and started going through some of the stuff that I had
accumulated over the years and put it aside, and put out a call to the
Division asking for any information that they have that either they're
willing to part with or are either willing to lend me so that I can
scan them or scan them themselves and send me the jpegs and then
ultimately with the goal of putting up all of this data that we get
onto the Hudson Division website so that somebody in the future, if
they wanted to take a look and see what it was like going on, you know,
ten, fifteen, twenty, thirty, forty, sixty, a hundred years ago would
be able to take a look at that and have a sense of the history of both
the hobby and the division."

PAUL: If you have anything to contribute to the project, Mike said it
would be easiest to contact him via email at N2YBB at a-double-r-l
dotorg.

It's good to have a sense of your roots to truly appreciate how far
this hobby has come. Perhaps this is a project you'd like to start in
your own division. For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Paul Braun, WD9GCO.

**

BREAK HE

Time for you to identify your station. We are the Amateur Radio
Newsline, heard on bulletin stations around the world, including the
W0CRA repeater system in Denver, Boulder and Colorado Springs on
Sundays at 9 a.m. local time.

**

PATCHWORK STUDY PAYS OFF FOR SCOUTS

JIM/ANCHOR: Here's some good news for Girl Scouts who also aspire to be
YLs. The newly launched Scouting patch for their radio studies has
proven to be very popular, as we hear from Newsline's Neil Rapp,
WB9VPG.

NEIL: In May, the ARRL announced a new initiative to educate young
ladies about ham radio and other wireless technologies. The Radio and
Wireless Technology patch program is now in full swing. In the 4
months since the initial announcement at Hamvention, the ARRL has
received reports of over 170 girls who have met the requirements for
the patch, according to Education Services Director Debra Johnson,
K1DMJ. A troop leader from Troop 772, Bernadette Purnell from
Antelope Valley, California, reports that she had 10 girl scouts
complete the patch program with the help of a local ham radio ARES
group.

BERNADETTE: 'We hunted on Google, and we found our local club. And, the
ones out here were the ones that did the emergency services for the
hospital if there's a national disaster. So they have a whole
communications program that they do throughout the hospital. When we
contacted them, we said, you know, 'We want you to come and explain to
the girls what you do because some of them don't even know this radio
exists.'' NEIL: So this program has created an awareness of ham radio.
But, it didn't stop there.

BERNADETTE: 'The girls were like - this is actually kinda interesting
to hear about. We didnÕt know. We asked because it was when they
first came it was right around September 11th. So we asked them,
and weÕre like going, 'Well, what happened? Were you guys used during
the World Trade Center attack?' And he said, 'Ham radios were the only
ones available for the first 72 hours after the attack. And we were
like, wow! So it was just interesting to see. And then I think
right around that time, we had a brush fire that was not too far away
from us that burnt almost like 60,000 acres. And we were just like -
Where you guys used then? He goes, 'Yeah, cause we sometimes when you
go in there, there 's no radio communication whatsoever. So they use us
as a backup and the girls were like that was just cool!'

NEIL: So after earning the patch and hearing all about ham radio, five
of the ten scouts are preparing for the Technician license exam.

BERNADETTE: 'They offered a free radio to the first girl that passes
her test. So all the girls are in competition right now to pass
thetest.'

NEIL: Troop 772 reports that the patch program went very smoothly, and
the girls thought learning morse code and talking on the radio was a
very cool thing. The Troop plans on promoting their participation in
the patch program to other girl scout troops, and are considering
expanding their program to the Daisies and the Brownies. So look out
world, there's a new set of YLs on the way. Reporting for Amateur
Radio Newsline, I'm Neil Rapp, WB9VPG in Bloomington, Indiana.

JIM/ANCHOR: We also remind you that October 15th and 16th are the dates
for the world's largest Scouting event, Jamboree on the Air, or JOTA.
You have the whole weekend to make contacts. According to the World
Scout Bureau, nearly 1 million Scouts and nearly 20,000 amateur radio
operators were involved in last year's event. This year, make sure you
are among them.

**
EYE ON PEAK CONDITIONS FOR SUMMIT-TO-SUMMIT

JIM/ANCHOR: How do amateurs in Australia, Europe and points in between
celebrate improved propagation? Why they climb a mountain and get on
the air, as we hear from Newsline's Graham Kemp VK4BB.

GRAHAM's REPORT: "You don't need power when you have altitude"

October 22nd 2016 will see an increase in Summits on the Air activity
between Europe and Australasia. As has been the case for the last few
years, a special event is being organised by Andrew VK1AD to coincide
with the improving radio propagation conditions.

This "S2S" (Summit to Summit) 'all mode' CW, SSB, Data, and even FM,
event already has commitments from VK, ZL, G, GM, DL, and OE stations
with other European stations expected to join in the climb to the top
of mountains in each region. These "activators" aim to make as many
"S2S" contacts as possible with other hams on SOTA summits in Europe
and Australasia.

The timing will be from 06:30 UTC for about two hours and is planned to
coincide with long path propagation between Europe and "down under."
Around the same time, short path communications between Europe and
North America is often possible. So if some SOTA activators in North
America could listen out from a SOTA summit, this activity has the
chance to create a World-Wide Summit to Summit event this year.

Most stations will be running low power with simple omni-directional
antennas, so this event also aims to show just what can be achieved
with limited equipment from a location with a low noise floor.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Graham Kemp, VK4BB.

**
AMATEURS PLAY KEY ROLE IN INDONESIAN FLOOD RESCUE

JIM/ANCHOR: Radio amateurs in Indonesia recently demonstrated how
consistent communications can help guide rescue and then the recovery
process after the massive and deadly flooding there. We hear the
details from Amateur Radio Newsline's John Williams VK4JJW.

JOHN: Recovery work continues in West Java, where massive flooding late
last month created deadly landslides that killed dozens and left a
number of people missing. Cars were overturned and buildings destroyed
as a search team moved in with sniffer dogs. The disaster scene was
further complicated when two rivers overflowed their banks. ORARI, the
amateur radio organization in Indonesia, responded early on the 21st of
September, assisting with emergency communications by operating an HF
net on 40 meters. Hams also made use of a VHF repeater to assist search
and rescue personnel as well as government officials, who moved in
during the recovery phase.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm John Williams, VK4JJW.

(INTERNATIONAL AMATEUR RADIO UNION REGION 3)

**

THE WORLD OF DX

In the world of DX, eight German amateurs using the callsign S9YY will
be operating from Sao Tome until the 23rd of October. Find them on CW,
SSB and Digital on the HF bands as well as 2m EME. Their QSL manager
isDH7WW.

Be listening for Harald DF2WO in Burkina Faso where he is active until
the 20th of November. Harald will be using the callsign XT2AW and
working on the HF bands. His QSL manager is M0OXO.

You have a few more days to listen for the group of Indian amateurs
operating a DXpedition on Shiyal Bet Island. They are using the
callsign AT2SL and they will be active until the 17th of October. Their
IOTA reference number is AS-176. Send QSL cards via Club Log OQRS.

**

KICKER: A GREAT SIGNAL REPORT FOR THE DUKE AND DUCHESS

JIM: We end this week's report with a visit to Canada's Yukon
territory, where British royals have broken new ground -- not in
construction but in communication. Amateur Radio Newsline's Graham Kemp
VK4BB tells us how.

GRAHAM: It has been said that some husbands and wives eventually learn
to communicate in code. Though the Duke and the Duchess of Cambridge
could hardly be considered an old married couple, they have certainly
embraced the "code" part -- and added a little modern touch of a Tweet.

The royals were making their first official visit to Canada's Yukon
territory late last month and wished to sign the visitors' book inside
the historic telegraph office of the Yukon's MacBride Museum. In this
case, it was an online guest book. How could they make their presence
known? They tweeted -- but in Morse Code, with the help of telegraph
operator Doug Bell. At 90 years of age, the former World War II radio
operator knows his way around the dots and dashes and was the perfect
guide for Kate and William.

There inside the Whitehorse Telegraph Office, Doug tapped out their
message on a 100-year-old key while husband and wife depressed the
"send" button that dispatched the message to the Telegraph-to-Tweet
Twitter account. The telegraph-to-tweet technology was developed by a
Canadian company called Make IT Solutions.

The message became the online guestbook's first entry and read simply:
"The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, September 2016, Whitehorse Yukon."
No translation needed there.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Graham Kemp, VK4BB

(HUFFINGTON POST)

**

NEWSCAST CLOSE: With thanks to Alan Labs; the ARRL; CQ Magazine;
cyclingtheglobe.com; Hap Holly and the Rain Report; The Huffington
Post; the International Amateur Radio Union; Irish Radio Transmitter
Society; Ohio-Penn DX Bulletin; Southgate Amateur Radio News; Ted
Randall's QSO Radio Show; the VOA Museum of Broadcasting; Wireless
Institute of Australia; WTWW Shortwave; and you our listeners, that's
all from the Amateur Radio Newsline. Please send emails to our address
at . More information is available at Amateur
Radio Newsline's only official website located at
www.arnewsline.org.

For now, with Caryn Eve Murray, KD2GUT, at the news desk in New York,
and our news team worldwide, I'm Jim Damron N8TMW in Charleston, West
Virginia saying 73 and as always we thank you for listening.

Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) is Copyright 2016. All rights reserved.