Old October 18th 16, 06:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] One-Day Tech Class videos: VHF/UHF Propagation III, HF Propagation

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

One-Day Tech Class videos: VHF/UHF Propagation III, HF Propagation

Here are the latest two videos in the One-Day Tech Class series:

The post One-Day Tech Class videos: VHF/UHF Propagation III, HF Propagation
appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

Operating Notes: Disappointing JOTA turnout, operating at 35 wpm

A couple of months ago, I was asked to host Jamboree on the Air at our club
station, WA2HOM, at the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum. The museum folks said
that they would handle theÂ*publicity, and expecting a big turnout, I
suggested that they schedule groups in one-hour slots. One of the reasons
for this is that the shack at the museum cannot accommodate more than about
five or six at a time.
Early last week, the museums scout coordinator e-mailed me that she had two
groups scheduled—one at 10 am and one at 3 pm. IÂ*was a little disappointed
that they couldnt get more to come, butÂ* that was OK.
Saturday morning, I got there about 9:40 and got the station running. The
noise level was incredibly high, but conditions were good, and I heard
quite a few JOTA stations. Then, I waited, and waited. The 10am group never
did show, so I went home to eat lunch and take care of some errands.Â*
Around 2:20 pm, I got a Â*phone call from a Scout leader who said he was at
the museum and had been waiting for 20 minutes. I apologized, noting that I
thought he wasn’t supposed to arrive until 3 and drove down to the museum.
Fortunately, I live less than 10 minutes away. When I got there, I
was Â*little disappointed that there was only one scout, but we had a fun
session with Cub Scout Charlie, making contacts with stations in CT and NC.Â*
I think part of the reason we had such aÂ*low turnout is that the museum
charged the scouts admission. At the very least, I think they should have
given them a discount.
Cranking it up
Last Thursday, I turned on the radio about 5:30 pm, and happened to run
into Rick, N4RLD, on 40m CW. Id worked Rick before, and knew he was a good
operator. On his second transmission, he said that he had just read my
QRZ.Com page,Â*where I brag, Ive increased my code speed to 30 wpm. Feel
free to send that fast if you read this while were in contact. Im proud of
this achievement, and am continually trying to get guys to work more CW. He
suggested that we try 35 wpm, and feeling adventurous, I agreed.
Well, Im not sure if it was I was having a good CW day, or it was because
that Rick has such a good fist, but I was having no trouble at all copying
him at 35 wpm. Then, he suggested we try 40 wpm.
At 40 wpm, I started missing characters, but I was able to keep up with the
conversation. That made me feel pretty good.
Then, he cranked it up even faster. At 40+ wpm,Â*he started making a
significant number of sending errors, and he apologized for that, but no
apologies were necessary. We were just having some fun.
As far as my own sending goes, I must admit that I was pretty bad at
sending 35 wpm. I was making a lot of mistakes. Its kind of funny that at
high speeds, its sometimes easier to receive than to send. Its just the
opposite at lower speeds when youre getting started.
Rick noted that he often practices sending at 40+ wpm in order to get
better. I think that I might devote 10 to 15 minutes a day sending at
higher speeds. And, Im going to update myÂ*QRZ.Com page toÂ*say that I can
now copy at 35 wpm.

The post Operating Notes: Disappointing JOTA turnout, operating at 35 wpm
appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.