Old November 4th 16, 04:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [W2LJ] Took a chance

W2LJ QRP .... Do More With Less

Took a chance

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

on another small mobile radio from China. I got fooled when I purchased
the Juentai JT-6188, but decided to take another chance. This time I
picked up a QYT KT-8900R.

Same size and looks almost identical to the Juentai. For all I know, one
factory is making all these radios that fall under different name plates.

This time it's been a semi-success! The radio works just fine, fits in the
Jeep well, has ample and good sounding audio output. It's nice to have it
where my Icom was and not constantly bang my knee into it. It does NOT
have the "picket fence" audio problem that the Juentai had when my vehicle
is in motion. (The Juentai serves as my shack VHF/UHF as it works fine when
not in motion.)

The only slight problem is that for some reason the computer programming
doesn't work. Using the QYT software or Chirp, it doesn't seem to matter.
The error I get with Chirp is that the radio "won't go into cloning mode".
I think that's probably a Windows 10 issue, because the Juentai programmed
easily enough with Windows 7.

However, that's not a big deal, as this one is pretty darn easy to program
using the buttons on the microphone and the radio itself. There is one
hitch that was driving me crazy, but that was explained in this video, at
the very end. (YouTube to the rescue!)

So, if you're in need a capable (lower powered - 20W max) radio and you
don't have an Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood budget - this little guy will serve
you in good stead.
72 de Larry W2LJQRP - When you care to send the very least!

[W2LJ] Took a chance W2LJ via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin Equipment 0 November 4th 16 04:50 AM
Now is Your Chance... Telstar Electronics CB 0 June 19th 08 12:29 PM
Here's Your Chance, Brain! K4YZ Policy 9 March 25th 05 06:21 AM
Here's your chance ;) Panzer240 Boatanchors 3 August 15th 04 06:09 AM
'This is your chance to... Tim ODonnell Scanner 2 June 1st 04 11:03 AM