Old November 4th 16, 11:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default [N5FDL] My elmer, Jim Haynie W5JBP, SK

N5FDL Amateur Radio/EMCOMM

My elmer, Jim Haynie W5JBP, SK

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/n5fdl...m_medium=email

Jim Haynie W5JBP (SK)I guess if you are a ham and youre going to die, then
age 73 is as good a time as any. Though I suppose 88 would be better. Hi!

Jim Haynie, former WB5JBP, ARRL President Emeritus, would see the humor in
that, I think. Humor that lets me think good things about Jim, who was one
of my elmers when I was first getting started in Amateur Radio back in
Dallas, circa 1982.

Jim passed away this week after some sort of illness. Here is the ARRL
announcement of this passing.

I alternately liked and disliked Jim, who worked hard at being a God-like
presence in local ham circles and largely succeeded. There is no doubt he
passionately cared about Amateur Radio and the community. And particularly
about the Skywarn program.

Our differences were typical new ham/old ham conflicts, details of which
have faded with time. I was, after all, an ADD, early-20s radio newskid,
who got into hamming in order to be part of the spring and fall tornado
chases. He, meanwhile, was the #1 representative of The Establishment (aka
Dallas ARC) and I hung with a different crowd.

I last saw him at Dayton about five years ago, and this was the first time
in maybe 10 more years. I took the opportunity to thank Jim for all hed
done for me and his service to the ARRL and ham radio generally. I decided
that Id really always liked him. He told me that he swapped his original
WB5JBP for vanity W5JBP and later wished he hadnt.

Jim was a good guy who was licensed for more then 40 years, he was a mover,
a smart guy, and from a generation when Amateur Radio was still a big deal.
Remembering Jim, today I wish I had been born in 1945 instead of 1959. Jim
had lots of ham fun that I missed.

73, Jim, and God bless.

New San Joaquin County Repeater Map

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/n5fdl...m_medium=email

Click on the image to download a photo map of San Joaquin County with the
major ham repeaters, including approximate location and elevation,
frequency, PL, site name and tactical channel ID. Might be handy to keep a
copy at your operating position, in your car and other handy locations.
Please notify me of any errors.