Old April 21st 17, 05:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default [KB6NU] How do you run your club net?

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

How do you run your club net?

I was talking to a blog reader last night, and the topic of running a club
net came up. For whatever reason, I seem to be the default net control
station for our clubs 2m net (which meets every Monday evening at 8 pm on
146.96 MHz). Over the last year or two, its become fairly successful. We
get a good group of checkins,Â*and have a pretty good roundtable discussion.

I have a routineÂ*that I follow:

Call the net to order, identifying both the net and myself.
Explain that this is a fun net, and encourage anyone listening to check in.
Call for mobile station checkins,Â*and then give mobiles a transmission.
Call for fixed stations and then run through the list of checkins,Â*giving
each a transmission.
Call for more checkinsÂ*and give them each a transmission.
Ask if there are any further comments for the net.
Close the net and return the net to normal amateur use.

The most important thing is to have fun. While there is room for procedure,
I try to keep the net upbeat and fun. I joke around with the operators who
check in, as well as joke around about my own foibles. IÂ*ask them about
what projects theyre working on and what fun things theyre doing outside of
amateur radio even.

There seems to be very little on the net about running a club net. There is
one web page
atÂ*https://www.mide.io/2015/10/19/runni...radio-net.html. Theres even
a script that the net controls can use.

Do you run a club net? If you do, please tell me what you do to encourage
people to check in and how you make it an entertaining and useful
experience for those who do.

The post How do you run your club net? appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio
Blog.