Old June 30th 17, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.space

Default [AB1OC/AB1QB] High-Altitude Balloon Launch and Tracking

Our HAM Station

High-Altitude Balloon Launch and Tracking

https://stationproject.wordpress.com...-and-tracking/

Our HAB at the Edge of Space (GoPro Capture)

We made it to the edge of space! The image above was taken from our HAB at
an altitude of over 90,000Â*ft!

After many months of work, raising funds to finance the project, teaching
STEM sessions in local High Schools, and an open-house to test the Balloon
Platform and to learn about Amateur Radio;Â*our High-Altitude Balloon
Project (HAB) Team finally got the chance to launch and track our Balloon.
We launched our Balloon from the Elementary School in Winchester, NH.
Setting Up Our Gear

Students, Teachers and Club Members came out to be part of the launch and
to track our HAB. The first step was to move all of our gear to the center
of the athletic fields at the school and organize all of our equipment.
Assembled Flight Platform

Next, we attached the GoPro video cameras, satellite tracker and the
battery pack for the Flight Computer and 2M APRS transmitter to the flight
platform. We used an APRS capable HT to confirm that the flight computer
and APRS transmitter were working.
Rigging the Flight Line

We rigged the 40 ft. flight line which connected the HAB’s flight platform,
recovery parachute and the balloon.
Balloon Inflation

And then came the inflation of the balloon from the Helium tank. The winds
were gusting to about 12 mph at this point which made inflating the balloon
a little tricky. When filled, the balloon was about 6 ft. in diameter on
the ground.
Launch!

With both GoPro cameras running on the flight platform, we were ready to
launch. A 10 second countdown and the balloon was up and away!
Tracking the HAB

We watched the balloon from the ground as it soared off into the clouds.
The 2M APRS tracking system worked perfectly and we spent the next several
hours at the launch site, at lunch, and in our cars tracking the HAB on
aprs.fi.
HAB’s Flight Path On APRS.fi

Our HAB’s flight path took it across Massachusetts where it reached a
maximum altitude of 91,700 ft. above sea level (ASL).
Looking Upward at the Balloon (Near Burst)

The balloon reached a diameter of approximately 30 ft before it burst.
After the balloon burst, the parachute deployed and the payload descended
to a landing in the northeast corner of Rhode Island.
HAB at Recovery Site in Rhode Island

A combination of the APRS transmitter data and the on-board sounder allowed
the landing location to be pinpointed and the flight platform recovered
with help from a local resident.

The on-board GoPro video cameras captured some awesome video during our
HAB’s ascent! All of the media captured by everyone who participated in the
launch as well as the APRS data allowed us to produce the video above. Turn
up your speakers and give it a play in full-screen mode to enjoy the
experience what we shared!

By the time we had launched, school was at an end so we will have to wait
until the fall to work with the students and teachers who were part of our
STEM project to analyze the data from the flight. All in all, our HAB
project has been an amazing experience for all involved. We are planning
another HAB STEM experience and launch with additional schools in the fall.

We want to especially thank all of our donors whose generous contributions
made this project possible.

Fred, AB1OC

Filed under: APRS, VHF-UHF, Youth Tagged: APRS, High-Altitude Balloon
Project, Space, VHF-UHF, Youth

Portable 6M Station for SOTA and Contesting

https://stationproject.wordpress.com...nd-contesting/

Fred, AB1OC and Curtis, N1CMD Operating

I got really exited, when Jamey, KC1ENX set our Club’s first Summits On The
Air (SOTA)/Parks On The Air (POTA) activation for the same day as the June
VHF Contest! Jamey choose Pack Monadnock in Miller State Park here in New
Hampshire as the site for our activation. With Jamey’s help, we put
together a portable 6M station in preparation for the activation.
Solar Panels

The idea was to use an IC-7300 to create a 100W station and use a
Solar/Battery combination to power the setup. Solar/Battery made us “legal”
as a SOTA activation. We combined two 90W solar panels which I had with a
MPPT solar charing system and two LiPo batteries to create the power system
for the activation.
6M Antenna Going Up

The antenna system was built around a M2 Antenna Systems 6M3 Yagi and a 18
ft. push up mast from Max-gain systems.
Portable 6M Antenna

All of this gear was carried to the site and setup in about an hour. A 25
ft. section of LMR-400UF coaxÂ*completed the station. The mast was guy’ed
with rings which allowed us to turn the mast/antenna combination to point
the Yagi in any direction.
Anita, AB1QB and Curtis, N1CMD Operating in the June VHF Contest

Between the SOTA/POTA activation and the June VHF contest, we made a little
over 130 contacts on 6m. We did not have any real Es openings so most of
our contacts were regional. Having the elevation provided by being on Pack
Monadnock made us quite loud for the stations that could hear us. Several
of our club members got on 6M and joined the fun. We did have a brief Es
opening and managed to work a station in Alabama and one in Florida.
Mike, AB1YK Portable 6M

Mike, AB1YK has a much more portable 6M setup and used lower power to have
some fun on 6M as well.
Al, KC1FOZ and Tom, KC1GGP Operating Portable

Al, KC1FOZ and Tom, KC1GGP put together a nice station and operated using
battery power. Several other club members came out with portable station or
to watch and have fun as well.

Our first SOTA/POTA activation was a lot of fun and Anita and I are looking
forward to the next one!

Fred, AB1OC
Filed under: Antennas and Feedlines, Contesting, Portable Station and Field
Day, Station Design, VHF-UHF Tagged: Antennas and Feedlines, Contesting,
Portable Station and Field Day, SOTA/POTA, Station Design, VHF-UHF