Old January 17th 18, 05:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [W2LJ] Got a lot accomplished

W2LJ QRP - When you care to send the very least!

Got a lot accomplished

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...medium =email

Just about everything that I wanted to get done this weekend, I did.

The highlight was getting on the radio on Monday. There wasn't much
activity, but I did hear Eritrea rather loudly on 30 Meters. I dove into
the pileup, but gave up rather quickly. My heart just wasn't into working
DX. Instead, I went down to 40 Meters and had two "Bob" QSOs. The first one
with Bob KC8MFF, in West Virginia. We chewed the fat for about a half an
hour.

As I was signing with him, I heard a very familiar call, calling me. It
was Bob W3BBO in Erie, PA on his recently built QCX transceiver. Powered
by 4 Watts, Bob was a very pleasantly readable 569 in NJ, and I got a 579
in return. Bob told me that my signal was the best he's heard from me in a
long time. This was the first time we've QSO'ed since I raised the W3EDP
another 10-15 feet, so it was either that, or band conditions were just
very good. Maybe a combination of both.

I also got the PWS (personal weather station) up and running in a temporary
spot. As mentioned, the station is being held aloft by 20 feet of aluminum
Army surplus masting, which is anchored in a 5 gallon paint bucket full of
concrete. It was tricky getting the whole affair level, so that the
anemometer (wind meter) would function properly. It's a hack job for now,
but the masting is plumb. This spring, I'll get some brick, blocks or
pavers and I will make a level base for the bucket to sit on. Once that's
done, I'd feel more comfortable about adding a couple more mast sections to
get the sensor up to the 30 foot level.

If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the blog, you'll see a
WeatherUnderground box which is displaying real time weather conditions at
the W2LJ QTH.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!