Old June 3rd 21, 09:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur,free.uk.amateur-radio

Default [M0IAX] The M1ECC Antennas Military Folding Whip

M0IAX

The M1ECC Antennas Military Folding Whip

https://m0iax.com/2021/06/02/the-m1e...-folding-whip/

Earlier this year (or maybe late last year its hard to tell these days!) I
got myself the Slidewinder Coil from M1ECC antennas and after chatting with
them I found out about the new Military Folding antenna they would be
selling. I have had good results when operating portable with my
superantenna MP1C and a longer whip such as the bud dipole mini shock cord
whip so was very interested in getting something a bit more hard wearing.

So when it was available for sale yesterday I ordered one, the price looked
good certainly less expense than some of the other military type whips on
the market, such as the Chameleon one, and coming from a UK supplier much
lower postage rates.

The antenna arrived today and on opening the package I was not disappointed
with it, in fact I was impressed. The quality is excellent it has a bit of
weight to it without being too heavy so it feels robust and like it can
take a bit of punishment.

The 7 sections are made from stainless steel and the connectors are brass
and when unfolded supports its weight and does not bend much in the wind.
It’s painted green and has a strap fixed to the bottom section that is used
to keep the sections together when folded.

Unfolding the antenna from the top section and setting up on the
Slidewinder coil went well and I then manually tuned it but adjusting the
slider for max noise from the radio, before sending a carried to check the
SWR using the IC-705’s on screen meter. I got it spot on first time, but in
my defence I have done this before

Yes I know the screen needs cleaning

Conditions didn’t seem too good but I had time to try it out before the
rain got here, so I connected my surface go 2 to the IC-705 WiFi to
wirelessly run FT8 on 20, 30 and 40m to see how it would do.

The antenna is almost 3m/9ft long so tuning to 20m didn’t need much of the
coil, on 40m was just over half way down or just under half way up
depending on your point of view

So did it work? Yes of course. I got results thats I expected given my
location and position. The antenna is a similar length to my budipole mini
shock cord whip so I had something to compare it to. Using 5W with JS8Call
on 40m and FT8 on 20, 30 and 40m I was heard in Europe and had a couple of
FT8 exchanges. I could also hear a few stations on SSB but didn’t have a
QSO before the rain started.

I think this antenna will replace my existing whips when I want to use this
configuration it seems like it will take a bit more punishment than the
others and its thinner and has less weight (I think).

I have already planned some portable operations this weekend so I will take
this with me and try and make a few POTA contacts again.

You can find out more about this antenna (and the Slidewinder coil) on
M1ECC Antenna website
https://m1ecc-antennas.onlineweb.sho..._21161932.aspx

73

Mark M0IAX