Old August 10th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave

Default STATION IS ON 13.556.00 MHz. LSB

John - KD5YI wrote:
You are wrong about the FCC limits on 13 MHz. There is no mention of 10,000
uV/m. Here are the limits:

Sec. 15.225 Operation within the band 13.110-14.010 MHz.

(a) The field strength of any emissions within the band 13.553-

13.567 MHz shall not exceed 15,848 microvolts/meter at 30 meters.

(b) Within the bands 13.410-13.553 MHz and 13.567-13.710 MHz, the

field strength of any emissions shall not exceed 334 microvolts/meter at

30 meters.

(c) Within the bands 13.110-13.410 MHz and 13.710-14.010 MHz the

field strength of any emissions shall not exceed 106 microvolts/meter at

30 meters.

You are also wrong about the power level required to achieve these limits.
The power required is much lower.

Cheers,
John

There appear to be two sets of part 15.225 rules floating around.
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=47&PART=15&SECTION=225&YEAR=2001&TYP E=TEXT
shows:
"[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 47, Volume 1]
[Revised as of October 1, 2001]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access

[CITE: 47CFR15.225]

[Page 726]

TITLE 47--TELECOMMUNICATION

CHAPTER I--FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION

PART 15--RADIO FREQUENCY DEVICES--Table of Contents

Subpart C--Intentional Radiators

Sec. 15.225 Operation within the band 13.553-13.567 MHz.

(a) The field strength of any emissions within this band shall not
exceed 10,000 microvolts/meter at 30 meters.
(b) The field strength of any emissions appearing outside of this
band shall not exceed the general radiated emission limits shown in
Sec. 15.209.
(c) The frequency tolerance of the carrier signal shall be
maintained within plus-minus0.01% of the operating frequency over a
temperature variation of -20 degrees to +50 degrees C at normal supply
voltage, and for a variation in the primary supply voltage from 85% to
115% of the rated supply voltage at a temperature of 20 degrees C. For
battery operated equipment, the equipment tests shall be performed
using
a new battery."

And
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/bulletins/oet63/oet63rev.pdf
Also shows the 10,000uV/M at 30M

Yet http://www.sss-mag.com/pdf/part15-91905.pdf
Dated sept 2005, shows the limits you quoted.

What is troubling is the FCC has different specs on different documents
at fcc.gov.

Buy regardless of runinng 10,000uV or 15,848uV, one does NOT need a
100W
transmitter to reach either of these levels. I have a 2W unit followed
by a step attenuator
coupled to a bufffer with a Zin of 50 Ohms and a Z Out of ~500. The
buffer transistor
is a 250mW and isn't even warm. This was the only easy way to allow
the attenuator
to accurately step the power level down. By the 15,848uV I guess I
could increase
my power from 5,000uV, to allow for the energy in the sidebands, to
something like
10,000uV.

Oh whoopy gea!

Too much trouble to even think about changing as I had to back the
exciter down to something like 1/2W to reach the 5,000uV level.

Crystal Oscillator-buffer#1-amplifier-?20dB pad-step
attenuator-buffer#2-matching-
very poor radiator.

I would guess I am running maybe 5mW into a modified CB ground plane
antenna.
Serious mismatch, but my "beacon" was only intended to reach about 1
mile.
For an S2 reading I had to back the power down ~50% from max legal. So
assume I am running 2.5mW with no attenuation, so for extra credit,
what is my
power level at -63dB?

Terry

Old August 10th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
John - KD5YI wrote:

[...]

From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access

[...]

The first reference above appears to have been published in 2001. I can't
tell the publication date of your second reference.

Personally, I would take the 2005 publication date as gospel.

(snip remainder)
Old August 11th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave

"Dale Parfitt" wrote in

"Slow Code" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Dale Parfitt" wrote in

So if N9OGL's transmitions are legal power wise, he would basically
be broadcasting for the kids across the street. Maybe he could take
song requests. They can just shout out their front doors what songs
they want him to play.

SC

I can copy perhaps 8 beacons on 13.555 MHz from all across the U.S.
Assuming they too are running the power level Roy calculated, N9OGL's
beacon should also be copyable.

Dale W4OP

You don't need to tell me the strengths of CW. I'm a CW advocate.
Just listen to the NCDXF beacons on 14.100. You can easily hear the
100mW tone all over the world when there is propagation with a simple
antenna. I'm just saying the RF Todd is puting into his antenna has to
be quit low if he is transmitting legal power wise.

Sc

I too enjoy CW- probably 90% of my operating. My comment was that if his
ERP is the same as the other beacons, then he will be heard well beyond
"across the street".

W4OP

I'll try to copy a few of those beacons. Maybe there is info on about the
stations, and possible they have a waiver for an increase in power or
antenna size.

Sc
Old August 11th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave

John - KD5YI wrote:
wrote:
John - KD5YI wrote:

[...]

From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access

[...]

The second one (the bulletin from the office of Engineering and
Technology) is from 1996. I would go with the 2005 one. That means my
field strength can be more Hurray!!

Todd N9OGL
OMEGA ONE RADIO
13.556.00 MHz LSB

Old August 11th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave

John - KD5YI wrote:
N9OGL wrote:
Brenda Ann wrote:

"John - KD5YI" wrote in message

Slow Code wrote:

dxAce wrote in
:

N9OGL wrote:

Not Lloyd wrote:

wrote in message
are you using an ex Ham transmitter?
I hear with LSB/USB get further than AM but is the LSB really wide
enough for quality audio? Got a grandpappys MP1000 here that will rag
50 watts AM all day long, but the band width is to narrow for
anything like nice music audio... Speech is nice though. Maybe there
is a wider AM filter than stock, some Ham wizardry to make it fit a
decent audio element on to the carrier,
........................................... ...........................

Transmitting on illegal frequencies with an illegal transceiver?
Only stupid Toad would do that.

Gather around the legal frequencies this evening at 14.331 as we get
a forum of LEGAL Hams together to discuss the nefarious activities of
Toad and Roger. Look for this forum to begin on or about nine p.m.
eastern time. Toad cannot join in, nor can KB9RQZ, since they are not
licensed for this freq. Roger needs no invitation...he will lurk and
jam as he sees fit.

Before you go around spouting that I'm running illegal, I would
suggestion that you read Part 15 (47 CFR 15) but more to the point 47
CFR 15.225

How much power you running? Unable to hear you here, but I'll give a
listen again tomorrow if you're still up and running.

10000uV/m at 30m is the maximum. How much power into an isotropic
radiator give 10000uV/m at 30m. Of course, when the antenna has gain,
power has to be reduced to avoid illegal operation.

My guess is 3 mW.

John

The level is the same as emissions within the CB band:

Sec. 15.227 Operation within the band 26.96-27.28 MHz.

(a) The field strength of any emission within this band shall not exceed
10,000 microvolts/meter at 3 meters. The emission limit in this paragraph is
based on measurement instrumentation employing an average detector. The
provisions in Sec. 15.35 for limiting peak emissions apply.

(b) The field strength of any emissions which appear outside of this band
shall not exceed the general radiated emission limits in Sec. 15.209.

I don't know that there is a difference anymore between Part 95 and Part 15
emissions in the CB band... the old Part 15, back when a license was
required, used to be 100mW.

PART 15 in the CB band is 10,000 uV/meter @ 3 meter (100 mw).(Walkie
talkies and cordless phones are also 10,000 uV/meter @3 meters) While
on 13 MHz it's 10,000 uV/meter @ 30 meters or about 1.8 watts at 100
feet.

Todd N9OGL
OMEGA ONE RADIO

You are wrong about the FCC limits on 13 MHz. There is no mention of 10,000
uV/m. Here are the limits:

Sec. 15.225 Operation within the band 13.110-14.010 MHz.

(a) The field strength of any emissions within the band 13.553-

13.567 MHz shall not exceed 15,848 microvolts/meter at 30 meters.

(b) Within the bands 13.410-13.553 MHz and 13.567-13.710 MHz, the

field strength of any emissions shall not exceed 334 microvolts/meter at

30 meters.

(c) Within the bands 13.110-13.410 MHz and 13.710-14.010 MHz the

field strength of any emissions shall not exceed 106 microvolts/meter at

30 meters.

You are also wrong about the power level required to achieve these limits.
The power required is much lower.

Cheers,
John

That's the revised version updated in 2006, the old version was 10,000
uV/m @ 30 meters.

Todd N9OGL