Old September 24th 06, 06:13 AM
Senior Member

Default Army Morse in the Jungle

CRPF turns to basics to counter Maoists

By Indo Asian News Service

New Delhi, Sep 24 (IANS) India's largest paramilitary force is going back to
basics, like using the old-fashioned Morse code, to overcome communication
problems it faces when it goes after Maoists in forests, especially in
Chhattisgarh.

Although Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) officers are armed with mobile
telephones and wireless systems, the personnel on the ground use the
old-fashioned Morse code to communicate as other means of communication
often fail due to territorial difficulties.

'We consider it the most dependable means of communication as it never fails
and messages are easily sent across to seniors,' said an official leading
the anti-Maoist operation in Chhattisgarh.

He said that hardly any modern infrastructure existed in the jungles and
backward areas of Chhattisgarh but the Morse code worked without any
problems.

'The personnel may be camping in the middle of a jungle but this system
never fails,' the officer said, adding that the Morse code is also favoured
because it can be converted into talking mode without much difficulty.

Although the force needs prior clearance from the Department of
Communication Police Wireless (DCPW) to convert a high frequency device into
talking mode, personnel combating Maoists in the jungles have been asked to
convert without the clearance order.

'Some units who are posted in the affected areas have already started using
this communication system,' the official said.

'We have applied to the home ministry for permission to convert these high
frequency systems into talk modes and we hope it will be granted soon,' said
the official.

CRPF personnel are also to be trained in using the global positioning system
(GPS) for communication.

'Though our men have been given these devices, not all of them are able to
use it effectively due to lack of training and knowledge,' the official
added.

The CRPF, along with the Chhattisgarh police, is to soon start a joint
communication centre in Jagdalpur, one of the worst affected areas in the
state because of unending Maoist violence.

'Our stress is to strengthen communication and intelligence in the interior
areas of Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand where the Maoists are most active,' said
J.K. Sinha, the director general of CRPF.

Copyright Indo-Asian News Service

--

The Man in the Maze
QRZ from Baboquivari Peak, AZ

Base Closures N8KDV Shortwave 10 January 20th 04 01:39 AM
Morse Code: One Wonders... and Begins to Think ! [ -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . ] RHF Shortwave 0 January 5th 04 02:49 PM
Response to "21st Century" Part One (Code Test) N2EY Policy 6 December 2nd 03 03:45 AM
Some comments on the NCVEC petition D. Stussy Policy 13 August 5th 03 04:23 AM
NCVEC NPRM for elimination of horse and buggy morse code requirement. Keith Policy 1 July 31st 03 03:46 AM