Old December 18th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default No More Element 1

From: on Sun, Dec 17 2006 3:22 pm

an_old_friend wrote:
Jim Hampton wrote:
Hello, Jim

Now, perhaps, everyone can put this code vs no code thing behind us.

I can put the issue away, but not some of the hard feelings developed
along the way. There are several individuals on this group that I
would never care to meet on the air or in person.

Perhaps, just perhaps, the group can quiet down a bit and get back to more
serious discussions ...

Perhaps now we can discuss N2EY's proposal for a No-Test service.

There was never any such proposal. You are mistaken, in error, and just
plain wrong.

sure there is you have often said

Jim/N2EY was the very first to roll that one out, at least that I am
aware of.

Ahem...three things as I saw them, Brian:

1. That "they [FCC] MIGHT just as well eliminate writtens" was
such a COMMON rejoinder by pro-coders that it became
another myth in the minds of the 1930s-standards-retro
folk. To them everything was about the code test.

2. Miccolis has, by his tacit admission (and self-praise) never
ever done anything wrong nor ever expressed a bad attitude
(dictated by the Elders of the Church of St. Hiram). Why,
if pinned to the wall by someone, he will self-righteously
(and in 'outrage') demand for 'proof' by going into thousands
upon thousands of old, old Google archives and copying the
'proof.' [AS IF this was evidenciary in some mythical
court of law]

3. Several others well back before 1998 were using the general
remark of "if the code test is eliminated, then the writtens
will be 'next' because it 'follows the progression.'" Miccolis
picked up on that, reworded it, but repeated it...apparently
making certain he couldn't be found 'guilty' of EXACT wording.

as do most of the ProCoders that the
NoCode would be followed your proposal to end testing

They think that there might as well be no testing at all now that the
code exam is gone. They sure don't value the writtens very much, do
they?

To the pro-coders EVERYTHING in amateur radio was about morse
code use, venerating the mode of on-off keying CW, and
generally making them "masters of the radio waves" by their
skill at a DEFUNCT radio communications mode once championed
in the 1930s and 1940s.

The VEC QPC has made up ALL the written test elements for years
but not a single pro-coder seems to admit to ever contacting
the VEC QPC about that content...at least not in here. One
reason (perhaps) is they don't give a damn about the writtens.
Everything is about morsemanship in operating on the ham
bands to them.

we arre awaiting you ideas on the subject

What ideas? He just wanted to dump the written.

In essence, that is true...despite Miccolis' denials. All the
pro-coders were using the rationalization about the Archaic
Radiotelegraphy Society (ARS) and the 'necessity' to keep
code testing. Forever.

"Forever" is about to cease. The "End of the World As They
Know It" is about to happen. Their sky will fall. Chickens
Little will scamper about, shouting epithets and nastywords
at evil, loathsome no-coders and the "failure" to "keep
standards high"..."standards" that have been drilled into
their psyches for decades by the Elders of Newington.

I've been gone for a few days, didn't hear about it until
late Friday night and then only in a casual remark over a
telephone call. Got on a friend's computer and saw that
the End of Code Testing was the #1 news item on the FCC
home page. [it doesn't appear on the Amateur page under
Wireless Bureau, but then little happens there in keeping
up to date] Wonder upon wonders! :-)

Okay, now I'm reflecting about the GLORY of the democratic
process in petitioning our government for a redress of
grievances. IT WORKS! An agency of our government
believed the words of our citizens in wanting change and
is about to rule on that change. CHANGE will happen,
despite the former ruling party of pro-coders' spitting
and snarling about "spamming" the government with "anti-
ham" attitudes wanting the code test gone. :-)

On more reflections, FCC 99-412, the R&O establishing
the Restructuring of 2000, was released on 30 Dec 1999.
I wouldn't be surprised if the FCC releases the R&O on
code testing elimination about that same date...the
news release (not a law, just a 'media advisory') was
done on 15 Dec 2006, almost 7 years later. I think of
it as a Christmas Present or the Start of a New Era
along with a New Year. Glory in Excelsus!

Modernization is Happening in US amateur radio. Regs
are finally catching up to late-1900s standards!
[catching up, they will be approaching 1980 when the
code elimination R&O is released]

Has No Code International "done anything?" Hard to tell.
the
www.nocode.org pages haven't been updated for a
year. NCI is still talking about the NPRM of July
2005 in their 'Articles' section. But, I'm sure that
NCI will praise itself after the fact...all their
'hard work' etc., etc., etc.

In my estimation, the Comments of CITIZENS on NPRM
05-143 did all the work in influencing our government
on its announced decision. Power to the People!
[but we still need electricity...]

Old December 19th 06, 10:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote:
From:
on Sun, Dec 17 2006 3:22 pm
an_old_friend wrote:
Jim Hampton wrote:
Hello, Jim

Now, perhaps, everyone can put this code vs no code thing behind us.

I can put the issue away, but not some of the hard feelings developed
along the way. There are several individuals on this group that I
would never care to meet on the air or in person.

Perhaps, just perhaps, the group can quiet down a bit and get back to more
serious discussions ...

Perhaps now we can discuss N2EY's proposal for a No-Test service.

There was never any such proposal. You are mistaken, in error, and just
plain wrong.

sure there is you have often said

Jim/N2EY was the very first to roll that one out, at least that I am
aware of.

I am not in favor of a "No-Test" amateur radio service. Nor have I ever
advocated such.

Anyone who says I have is mistaken - in error - just plain wrong.

Ahem...three things as I saw them, Brian:

1. That "they [FCC] MIGHT just as well eliminate writtens" was
such a COMMON rejoinder by pro-coders that it became
another myth in the minds of the 1930s-standards-retro
folk. To them everything was about the code test.

That's not true about me.

2.

by his tacit admission (and self-praise) never
ever done anything wrong nor ever expressed a bad attitude
(dictated by the Elders of the Church of St. Hiram).

Len, that's what *you* do. Not me.

Why,
if pinned to the wall by someone, he will self-righteously
(and in 'outrage') demand for 'proof' by going into thousands
upon thousands of old, old Google archives and copying the
'proof.' [AS IF this was evidenciary in some mythical
court of law]

The facts are what they are. You don't seem to like facts, Len, if they
disprove your cherished opinions.

3. Several others well back before 1998 were using the general
remark of "if the code test is eliminated, then the writtens
will be 'next' because it 'follows the progression.'"

That has already happened.

In 2000, the *written* testing for the three classes of license still
available was reduced significantly.

Yet that wasn't enough for some. At least one recent proposal (NCVEC's
second proposal) claimed the 35 question multiple-choice Technician was
'too hard' and that a new license class with even less *written*
testing is needed.

picked up on that, reworded it, but repeated it...apparently
making certain he couldn't be found 'guilty' of EXACT wording.

Show us.

Pointing out that the written requirements have been reduced is not the
same thing as advocating a 'no test' amateur radio service. Not the
same thing at all.

as do most of the ProCoders that the
NoCode would be followed your proposal to end testing

They think that there might as well be no testing at all now that the
code exam is gone.

I'm as pro-code-test as they come, and I do not think that at all.

And the Morse Code test in the USA isn't gone yet. It will take a few
weeks at most
for the bureaucratic wheels to turn and make the change effective.

They sure don't value the writtens very much, do they?

Well, I do. They could be better, though.

To the pro-coders EVERYTHING in amateur radio was about morse
code use, venerating the mode of on-off keying CW, and
generally making them "masters of the radio waves" by their
skill at a DEFUNCT radio communications mode once championed
in the 1930s and 1940s.

Not true at all. There's a lot to amateur radio besides Morse Code.
Which is not 'defunct' at all.

The VEC QPC has made up ALL the written test elements for years
but not a single pro-coder seems to admit to ever contacting
the VEC QPC about that content...at least not in here.

That doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Not everyone brags on and on like you, Len ;-)

One
reason (perhaps) is they don't give a damn about the writtens.

Another reason is that they don't tell you everything.

Everything is about morsemanship in operating on the ham
bands to them.

Even if true - what's wrong with that?

If you are really only against the *test*, what's wrong with *using*
Morse Code?

we arre awaiting you ideas on the subject

What ideas? He just wanted to dump the written.

Untrue.

In essence, that is true

No, it's completely untru.

...despite

denials.

Then show where it was proposed.

All the
pro-coders were using the rationalization about the Archaic
Radiotelegraphy Society (ARS) and the 'necessity' to keep
code testing. Forever.

What's wrong with wanting to keep a good thing?

"Forever" is about to cease. The "End of the World As They
Know It" is about to happen. Their sky will fall. Chickens
Little will scamper about, shouting epithets and nastywords
at evil, loathsome no-coders and the "failure" to "keep
standards high"..."standards" that have been drilled into
their psyches for decades by the Elders of Newington.

No, not at all.

It's just another bad decision by FCC. They make some good decisions
and some bad decisions. Do you think their BPL decisions are good ones?

I've been gone for a few days, didn't hear about it until
late Friday night and then only in a casual remark over a
telephone call. Got on a friend's computer and saw that
the End of Code Testing was the #1 news item on the FCC
home page. [it doesn't appear on the Amateur page under
Wireless Bureau, but then little happens there in keeping
up to date] Wonder upon wonders! :-)

Guess who broke the news here on rrap, Len, by starting this thread?

Okay, now I'm reflecting about the GLORY of the democratic
process in petitioning our government for a redress of
grievances. IT WORKS!

Not really.

An agency of our government
believed the words of our citizens in wanting change and
is about to rule on that change.

A majority of those who commented on the Morse Code test issue
wanted at least *some* Morse Code testing to remain. The majority
did *not* want complete elimination.

Yet FCC ignored the majority and will completely eliminate Morse
Code testing very soon.

Explain how ignoring the majority means "IT WORKS".

CHANGE will happen,
despite the former ruling party of pro-coders' spitting
and snarling about "spamming" the government with "anti-
ham" attitudes wanting the code test gone. :-)

Your wordy piles of commentary to FCC amounted to spam, Len, and
probably slowed down the process.

On more reflections, FCC 99-412, the R&O establishing
the Restructuring of 2000, was released on 30 Dec 1999.
I wouldn't be surprised if the FCC releases the R&O on
code testing elimination about that same date...the
news release (not a law, just a 'media advisory') was
done on 15 Dec 2006, almost 7 years later. I think of
it as a Christmas Present or the Start of a New Era
along with a New Year. Glory in Excelsus!

The announcement was made at the end of the business day on a Friday.
That way FCC doesn't have to deal with the responses right away.

Modernization is Happening in US amateur radio. Regs
are finally catching up to late-1900s standards!
[catching up, they will be approaching 1980 when the
code elimination R&O is released]

Did amateurs stop using Morse Code in 1980, Len?

Has No Code International "done anything?" Hard to tell.
the
www.nocode.org pages haven't been updated for a
year. NCI is still talking about the NPRM of July
2005 in their 'Articles' section. But, I'm sure that
NCI will praise itself after the fact...all their
'hard work' etc., etc., etc.

In my estimation, the Comments of CITIZENS on NPRM
05-143 did all the work in influencing our government
on its announced decision.
Power to the People!
[but we still need electricity...]

A majority of "the People" did *not* want complete Morse Code test
elimination, Len.

FCC gave "the People" what they did not want.

--

In a few days the official Report and Order will be released, and in a
few weeks it will be effective. The only surprise is how long it has

And once the Morse Code test is completely gone, what will you do, Len?
You won't have anything to carry on about on rrap anymore.

Old December 19th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message
ups.com...
Jim Hampton wrote:
Hello, Jim

Greetings! Good to hear from you again.

Now, perhaps, everyone can put this code vs no code thing behind us.

Hopefully.

Actually it should come as no surprise. Things have been heading that
way for a long time. Frankly, I'm surprised it has taken so long,
considering that FCC could have done the same thing more than 3 years
ago.

Perhaps, just perhaps, the group can quiet down a bit and get back to
more
serious discussions ...

Perhaps when Paul Schleck's moderated version starts up.

--

btw, I'm still keeping the "ARS License Numbers" thread going. It will
be interesting to see how the number of current US licenses held by

The public announcement doesn't say when the new rules will go into
effect, though.

73 de Jim, N2EY

1. Who won the pool?

2. It will be interesting to follow the numbers on the licenses. Please
give consideration to either excluding the Novice license class entirely or
reporting it as a separate item. This puts a different light on the
so-called decline of amateur radio. This group is almost entirely inactive,
not renewing, and not relevant to the growth or decline of amateur radio
anymore.

Dee, N8UZE

Old December 19th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message

[snip]

1. Who won the pool?

2. It will be interesting to follow the numbers on the licenses.
Please give consideration to either excluding the Novice license class
entirely or reporting it as a separate item. This puts a different light
on the so-called decline of amateur radio. This group is almost entirely
inactive, not renewing, and not relevant to the growth or decline of
amateur radio anymore.

Dee, N8UZE

Also it might be interesting if you post three sets of numbers:

1. As of May 2000 as you have been doing.
2. As of the effective date of the implementation of no-code testing.
3. The current number of licensees.

My predictions are that there will be numerous upgrades but little to no
impact on the overall growth of ham radio.

Dee, N8UZE

Old December 19th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
. ..

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message

[...]

Hello Dee,

An interesting question, but I am going to guess that it may have a positive
impact - simply because folks that aren't licensed will hear that there is
no more cw requirement. There are, I suspect, a fair number out there that
haven't bothered simply because a tech license limits you to above 30 MHz
and they want to work the world - without cw.

We should have the answer to the question in the next year or so. Like you,
I suspect a fairly large number of upgrades; unlike you, I suspect there
will be a modest impact in the growth of amateur radio.

Many don't understand the implications of learning something about
electronics. A few years ago, I was given a Leslie speaker (rotating
speaker used on Hammond organs) that was not compatable with my organs. It
was obvious that not only would the socket have to be re-wired, but the new
Leslie needed control via 110 volts ac. My control was high-impedance dc
(about 90 volts dc).

I called the service guy. The estimate was 8 hours of labor (at $70.00 per
hour), plus a new relay, tube, and other components.

After looking the situation over, I spent less than $5.00 in components,
rewired the socket, isolated the dc with an interstage transformer, fed the
dc to a big VFET through a 1 megohm resistor and zener to ground (to limit
the voltage applied to the gate). The VFET switched 400 volts dc through a
100 k resistor to a solid state relay to the existing relay. The 110 volts
was already present in the Leslie.

It has worked flawlessly for a few years now. 2 hours work and 5 bucks
spent vs probably over $600.00.

Amateur radio was my background; hey, ya never know :P

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old December 19th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:

1. Who won the pool?

See new thread on that subject.

2. It will be interesting to follow the numbers on the licenses.
Please give consideration to either excluding the Novice license class
entirely or reporting it as a separate item. This puts a different light
on the so-called decline of amateur radio. This group is almost entirely
inactive, not renewing, and not relevant to the growth or decline of
amateur radio anymore.

Also it might be interesting if you post three sets of numbers:

1. As of May 2000 as you have been doing.
2. As of the effective date of the implementation of no-code testing.
3. The current number of licensees.

I intend to report all current, unexpired FCC amateur radio licenses
held by individuals, sorted by license class. I also intend to include
the May 14, 2000 numbers and the numbers from the effective date of the
R&O.

Three sets of numbers, but only one set will change.

My predictions are that there will be numerous upgrades but little to no
impact on the overall growth of ham radio.

We'll see. For a few years after the 2000 restructuring we saw growth,
but since then we have seen more decline.

The Novice class, IMHO, consists of three groups:

1) A small number of active hams

2) An unknown number of inactive hams who haven't got the word yet,
haven't gotten around to upgrading, or who are waiting for a no-test
upgrade.

3) An unknown number of totally inactive hams who will disappear from
the database once their licenses expire.

While 2) may seem unrealistic, even today I encounter hams who either
don't know about or don't understand the 2000 restructuring. I also
encounter amateurs who think that their Advanced will soon be
auto-upgraded to Extra, or their Tech Plus to General, even though FCC
has repeatedly denied proposals to do such things.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old December 20th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
. ..

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message

[...]

It will be interesting to see if this proves true. I know of many people
who have no idea what the requirements are to get a ham license. Matter of
fact most have no idea that ham radio exists. Therefore the code
requirement was not a factor. I have yet to meet anyone who said that they
had an interest but did not pursue it because of the code requirement.

[...]

While some of the hams I know could and would do the same, the majority have
chosen not to explore electronics beyond what they had to do for the test.
That isn't sufficient to enble them to venture into this type of activity.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Dee, N8UZE

Old December 20th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message
ups.com...

Dee Flint wrote:

[...]

You could be right. It's simply my opinion that 3) represents the vast
majority of Novice licensees. I've met no Novice operators on the bands and
our club roster has no Novice licensees.

Dee, N8UZE

Old December 20th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...

Dee Flint wrote:

[...]

I swear I am going to apply for WN2CJV, my first license. I still have the
license.

Then set the keyer to 45 words per minute and have some fun

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old December 20th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From:
on Sun, Dec 17 2006 3:22 pm
an_old_friend wrote:
Jim Hampton wrote:
[...]

So when you trotted that one out way back when, it really was a
strawman as I described it then. Yet you said it wasn't.

Ahem...three things as I saw them, Brian:

1. That "they [FCC] MIGHT just as well eliminate writtens" was
such a COMMON rejoinder by pro-coders that it became
another myth in the minds of the 1930s-standards-retro
folk. To them everything was about the code test.

That's not true about me.

Like Dee a couple of weeks ago, it's what "other hams" were saying.

2.

by his tacit admission (and self-praise) never
ever done anything wrong nor ever expressed a bad attitude
(dictated by the Elders of the Church of St. Hiram).

Len, that's what *you* do. Not me.

Len is no Elder of the Church of Saint Hiram.

Why,
if pinned to the wall by someone, he will self-righteously
(and in 'outrage') demand for 'proof' by going into thousands
upon thousands of old, old Google archives and copying the
'proof.' [AS IF this was evidenciary in some mythical
court of law]

The facts are what they are. You don't seem to like facts, Len, if they
disprove your cherished opinions.

"Facts are stupid things." Ronald Raygun

3. Several others well back before 1998 were using the general
remark of "if the code test is eliminated, then the writtens
will be 'next' because it 'follows the progression.'"

That has already happened.

In 2000, the *written* testing for the three classes of license still
available was reduced significantly.

Yet the QP can be increased infinitely.

Yet that wasn't enough for some. At least one recent proposal (NCVEC's
second proposal) claimed the 35 question multiple-choice Technician was
'too hard' and that a new license class with even less *written*
testing is needed.

The Technician License is not entry level.

picked up on that, reworded it, but repeated it...apparently
making certain he couldn't be found 'guilty' of EXACT wording.

Show us.

It's what you do.

Pointing out that the written requirements have been reduced is not the
same thing as advocating a 'no test' amateur radio service. Not the
same thing at all.

If you don't and never have advocated a "No-Test" license, why did you
trot it out?

as do most of the ProCoders that the
NoCode would be followed your proposal to end testing

They think that there might as well be no testing at all now that the
code exam is gone.

I'm as pro-code-test as they come, and I do not think that at all.

And the Morse Code test in the USA isn't gone yet. It will take a few
weeks at most
for the bureaucratic wheels to turn and make the change effective.

See how many you can recruit before it goes away. Anyone should be
able to learn 5WPM and take a 13-15WPM exam in a couple of weeks,
right?

They sure don't value the writtens very much, do they?

Well, I do. They could be better, though.

Even though you say that now, I recall you trotting out that "No-Test"
strawman

To the pro-coders EVERYTHING in amateur radio was about morse
code use, venerating the mode of on-off keying CW, and
generally making them "masters of the radio waves" by their
skill at a DEFUNCT radio communications mode once championed
in the 1930s and 1940s.

Not true at all. There's a lot to amateur radio besides Morse Code.
Which is not 'defunct' at all.

....a few weeks.

The VEC QPC has made up ALL the written test elements for years
but not a single pro-coder seems to admit to ever contacting
the VEC QPC about that content...at least not in here.

That doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Not everyone brags on and on like you, Len ;-)

Ahem, seven hostile actions...

One
reason (perhaps) is they don't give a damn about the writtens.

Another reason is that they don't tell you everything.

Another is that they don't give a damn about the writtens.

Everything is about morsemanship in operating on the ham
bands to them.

Even if true - what's wrong with that?

An amateur is balanced.

If you are really only against the *test*, what's wrong with *using*
Morse Code?

It's perfectly legal.

we arre awaiting you ideas on the subject

What ideas? He just wanted to dump the written.

Untrue.

Riiiight. Dumping the writtens was just a strawman.

In essence, that is true

No, it's completely untru.

Heil/K8MN says people who cannot spell are not worthy of being leaders.

...despite

denials.

Then show where it was proposed.

RRAP

All the
pro-coders were using the rationalization about the Archaic
Radiotelegraphy Society (ARS) and the 'necessity' to keep
code testing. Forever.

What's wrong with wanting to keep a good thing?

I thought it was the ITU rule that was the stumbling block?

"Forever" is about to cease. The "End of the World As They
Know It" is about to happen. Their sky will fall. Chickens
Little will scamper about, shouting epithets and nastywords
at evil, loathsome no-coders and the "failure" to "keep
standards high"..."standards" that have been drilled into
their psyches for decades by the Elders of Newington.

No, not at all.

"Slow Code" is an artifact from the chicken little syndrome.

It's just another bad decision by FCC.

A good decision.

They make some good decisions
and some bad decisions.

True enough. And the Code Free HF license with almost exclusively CW
priveleges is an artifact of the piecemeal approach that the FCC uses
WRT the ARS.

Do you think their BPL decisions are good ones?

No. Do you?

I've been gone for a few days, didn't hear about it until
late Friday night and then only in a casual remark over a
telephone call. Got on a friend's computer and saw that
the End of Code Testing was the #1 news item on the FCC
home page. [it doesn't appear on the Amateur page under
Wireless Bureau, but then little happens there in keeping
up to date] Wonder upon wonders! :-)

Guess who broke the news here on rrap, Len, by starting this thread?

"QUOTE

2.

by his tacit admission (and self-praise) never
ever done anything wrong nor ever expressed a bad attitude
(dictated by the Elders of the Church of St. Hiram).

Len, that's what *you* do. Not me.

"UNQUOTE

....and self-praise

Okay, now I'm reflecting about the GLORY of the democratic
process in petitioning our government for a redress of
grievances. IT WORKS!

Not really.

Seems to.

An agency of our government
believed the words of our citizens in wanting change and
is about to rule on that change.

A majority of those who commented on the Morse Code test issue
wanted at least *some* Morse Code testing to remain. The majority
did *not* want complete elimination.

Leadership doesn't mean taking a poll.

Yet FCC ignored the majority and will completely eliminate Morse
Code testing very soon.

Explain how ignoring the majority means "IT WORKS".

"Serves no regulatory purpose" was the key point.

CHANGE will happen,
despite the former ruling party of pro-coders' spitting
and snarling about "spamming" the government with "anti-
ham" attitudes wanting the code test gone. :-)

Your wordy piles of commentary to FCC amounted to spam, Len, and
probably slowed down the process.

Does the "banana boat swing" slow down the process?

On more reflections, FCC 99-412, the R&O establishing
the Restructuring of 2000, was released on 30 Dec 1999.
I wouldn't be surprised if the FCC releases the R&O on
code testing elimination about that same date...the
news release (not a law, just a 'media advisory') was
done on 15 Dec 2006, almost 7 years later. I think of
it as a Christmas Present or the Start of a New Era
along with a New Year. Glory in Excelsus!

The announcement was made at the end of the business day on a Friday.
That way FCC doesn't have to deal with the responses right away.

I wonder if the emnergency rooms across the nation were deluged with
stroke victims?

Modernization is Happening in US amateur radio. Regs
are finally catching up to late-1900s standards!
[catching up, they will be approaching 1980 when the
code elimination R&O is released]

Did amateurs stop using Morse Code in 1980, Len?

They could have.

Has No Code International "done anything?" Hard to tell.
the
www.nocode.org pages haven't been updated for a
year. NCI is still talking about the NPRM of July
2005 in their 'Articles' section. But, I'm sure that
NCI will praise itself after the fact...all their
'hard work' etc., etc., etc.

In my estimation, the Comments of CITIZENS on NPRM
05-143 did all the work in influencing our government
on its announced decision.
Power to the People!
[but we still need electricity...]

A majority of "the People" did *not* want complete Morse Code test
elimination, Len.

FCC gave "the People" what they did not want.

They sure didn't listen to the ARRL, thank God!

--

In a few days the official Report and Order will be released, and in a
few weeks it will be effective. The only surprise is how long it has
taken for FCC to make the change. Three and a half years since the
treaty changed!

Those darned treaties.

And once the Morse Code test is completely gone, what will you do, Len?
You won't have anything to carry on about on rrap anymore.

Nor you. Sayonara.

Who are the FISTS members on RRAP? William Policy 378 December 7th 04 11:25 AM
Simple practical designing with antenna modeling programs Richard Antenna 4 June 11th 04 02:19 AM
Scaling yagi antennas Richard Antenna 3 June 6th 04 12:38 PM
There is no International Code Requirement and techs can operate HF according to FCC Rules JJ General 159 August 12th 03 12:25 AM
Tech+ to General upgrade question N2EY Policy 5 July 6th 03 04:43 AM