Old December 24th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default The "Code Wars"...It's Done...Now Where?

"KH6HZ" wrote in
:

"Dave Heil" wrote:

The idea of communicating without a landline phone being involved?
The thought of being active in public service communications? The
interest in DXing? Tinkering with circuits or antennas? Being able
to modify commercially built equipment to make it better? Setting up
and operating a fast scan TV station on one's own? Being able to stay
in touch with local buddies who are also radio amateurs?

None of this draws people to ham radio these days (in large numbers,
I'm sure there are always exceptions and there are some people who
join the amateur ranks for the reasons you list.) In reality I do not
disagree with anything you have posted in your followup message.

I'm not sure exactly why large numbers of people would be drawn to
Amateur radio ever!

All one has to do is view the licensing stats at Speroni's site to see
the future of ham radio.

Those stats are very skewed at the moment

Amateur radio licensees peaked in 04/03 at 687,860 -- exactly 12 years
(10 years + 2 years grace period) after the introduction of the Tech
license, which illustrates all the no-code Tech license did for ham
radio was stall the inevitable negative slope in licensing statistics
we see today.

And so many of those Technicians had not been active in Amateur
Radio after cell phones took over for local communiations. Another group
left after the magnificent treatment that they reveived from the
"superior" Hams.

In the past 43 months, Amateur radio has lost 31,000 licensees. In the
43 months preceeding that high point, Amateur Radio added 11,919.
Thus, we are losing amateurs at 2.5 times the rate we added them in
just the same period before.

I do not believe that elimination of the code test will reverse this
trend, because:

a) I do not believe the code test represented a significant barrier to
entry for many people (post 2000) looking for HF privileges. At 5WPM
the cost test did little more than to test the applicant's ability to
rote memorize a table of dits and dahs, and perform a mental table
lookup. For this reason, I do not feel there is this huge untapped
reservior of people waiting in the wings to get a ham license, as
there were when the code test was eliminated for VHF. I'm sure there
are *some* people, I simply do not feel it is a statistically
significant amount.

I have issues with maintaining my weight, yet my wife remains as
slender as the day we met. She has difficulty understanding how some
people cannot control their eating.

I was a 3 pack a day smoker, and in 1977, I decided to quit cold
turkey. She continues ot smoke, and apparently it is impossible for her
to quit.

My point is just because it is such a simple matter for some people
to learn Morse code, it does not mean that others will find it so
simple.

One of the most amusing things about those who would have Morse
code testing as the metric of an Amateur's worth, (of course, testing at
above 5 WPM) is the dichotomy of learning the code was apparently easy
for them. I see that all the time.

If learning Morse code is easy, then how does it become the metric of an
Amateurs Worthyness?

And at what point is it the measurment ofhow good a Ham is? 5 WPM?
7 WPM? 20 WPM?

There are apparently some superhuman young people in Europe that
can do better than 150 WPM! Nww those must be Uberhams! 8^)

b) I do not feel the "problem" with ham radio is the code test, or
geezer operators bitchin' on the air about non-coded operators.

I do. If I had a person in the shack to demonstrate the ARS to
them, I would never ever put 75 meters on.

For
reasons that clearly we can debate for eons, the younger generations
that I work and interact with on a daily basis simply are not
interested in ham radio the way folks 20+ years ago were. My 8 and 12
year olds would rather play XBOX than sit around learning radio
theory. EE/CS students I work with are thinking "consumer
electronics", not "old fogey HF radios".

And I know quite a few EE students who *are* interested in RF, and
have gotten the Tech license. Many have gone on to advanced license
classes.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old December 24th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

My 8 and 12 year olds would rather play XBOX
than sit around learning radio theory. EE/CS students I work with are
thinking "consumer electronics", not "old fogey HF radios".

Someone ought to create an Xbox game that simulates a contest using CW
on HF... Use the controller as a code key, and the game software
creates pile-ups. One of the options of the game would be to select
yourself as the rare DX, and deal with working with everyone in the
pile-up.... And you don't have to fight with the condo board or HOA
over antennas... :-)
Old December 24th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Teaching vectors to people who have had no math higher than basic algebra
was quite a challenge.

I can remember the first time vectors and such came up in math class. I
got hung up with the names they gave numbers that had "i (square root of
-1)" in them. "imaginary". To me "imaginary" = "fake", so why would
you talk about fake numbers in a math class? If this was English Lit
class, then sure, anything goes there, but not in math class....
You'll probably run into things like this, and have no idea what the
problem is when you do the teaching.
Old December 24th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"robert casey" wrote in message
nk.net...

Teaching vectors to people who have had no math higher than basic algebra
was quite a challenge.

I can remember the first time vectors and such came up in math class. I
got hung up with the names they gave numbers that had "i (square root
of -1)" in them. "imaginary". To me "imaginary" = "fake", so why would
you talk about fake numbers in a math class? If this was English Lit
class, then sure, anything goes there, but not in math class.... You'll
probably run into things like this, and have no idea what the problem is
when you do the teaching.

Actually wasn't too hard. I told them that mathematicians needed "imaginary
playmates"!

From the practical point of view, I simply showed them how to work the
problems with "triangles". The real number was the horizontal and the
imaginary the vertical. This cuts it down to something they have seen
before even if a long time ago. No sweat.

Dee, N8UZE

Old December 25th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

KH6HZ wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote:

PStU has a credit course - EE 010S.

None of the area colleges do it -- that is, give instant credit because you
have a ham license. Like I previously stated, though, I believe some (if not
most) would allow you to petition for credit on the basis of 'life
experience', and you probably would have a relative degree of success.

You can bypass many entry level courses with the CLEP exams.

For the higher level classes, most universities allow you to challenge
a course. That is, you pay the fee and take the exams. The profs
usually crap themselves because they don't know what is in their
college catalogs, and they are unprepared to administer a mid-term and
a final at the drop of a hat. But it's fun to do - providing you
actually have the so called "life experience."

Old December 25th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

robert casey wrote:

Teaching vectors to people who have had no math higher than basic
algebra was quite a challenge.

I can remember the first time vectors and such came up in math class. I
got hung up with the names they gave numbers that had "i (square root of
-1)" in them. "imaginary". To me "imaginary" = "fake", so why would
you talk about fake numbers in a math class? If this was English Lit
class, then sure, anything goes there, but not in math class.... You'll
probably run into things like this, and have no idea what the problem is
when you do the teaching.

-1 is quite real, it is the square root of it that sets off those
imaginations. Especially, when one views fractals and one imagines that
nature makes use of it's sq. root rather nicely ...

Regards,
JS
Old December 25th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
6...
"KH6HZ" wrote in

Amateur radio is a dead hobby.

No, it isn't, and won't be dying either. Perhaps your definition of
Ham Radio is fading away - a definition that I would guess where rank is
measured by how fast a person can send and recieve Morse code.

I believe that the last generation of hams in the USA has already been born, and
it has nothing to do with how fast they can send beeps.

Radio is no longer magic to young people, and magic is what made it worth the
effort.

73, de Hans, K0HB
Past Grand Master Magician

Old December 25th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
6...
"KH6HZ" wrote in

Amateur radio is a dead hobby.

No, it isn't, and won't be dying either. Perhaps your definition of
Ham Radio is fading away - a definition that I would guess where rank is
measured by how fast a person can send and recieve Morse code.

I believe that the last generation of hams in the USA has already been
born, and it has nothing to do with how fast they can send beeps.

Radio is no longer magic to young people, and magic is what made it worth
the effort.

73, de Hans, K0HB
Past Grand Master Magician

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Dee, N8UZE

Old December 25th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 00:14:05 -0500, "Dee Flint"
wrote:

"KØHB" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
6...
"KH6HZ" wrote in

Amateur radio is a dead hobby.

No, it isn't, and won't be dying either. Perhaps your definition of
Ham Radio is fading away - a definition that I would guess where rank
is
measured by how fast a person can send and recieve Morse code.

I believe that the last generation of hams in the USA has already been
born, and it has nothing to do with how fast they can send beeps.

Radio is no longer magic to young people, and magic is what made it
worth
the effort.

73, de Hans, K0HB
Past Grand Master Magician

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

well you 2 have certainly shown why Ham radio is trouble it it lacks
ambassodor with with hope and sprit

You are an idiot, Mark. Hans is correct, and Dee merely agreed.

http://www.usenet.com
Old December 25th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

There will be Codesters hiding in the hills and taking potshots at the
"enemy" for years to come. Only the actuarial tables will sort it all
out.