Old January 1st 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Even a Caveman could do it

Stefan Wolfe wrote:
The new Monkey General class :-)

Tell me, what do you as being so difficult about amateur radio that
would make the test difficult, perhaps I am missing something? What
relevant and complex details are missing from the exams?

It may just have to do with the abundance of technical materials where
were available to me in my past. Or, perhaps it was my interest in all
things technical--but there didn't seem to be that type of mystery,
magic or difficulty involved in electronics or radio ...

Regards,
JS
Old January 1st 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"John Smith I" wrote in message
Stefan Wolfe wrote:
The new Monkey General class :-)

Tell me, what do you as being so difficult about amateur radio that would
make the test difficult, perhaps I am missing something? What relevant
and complex details are missing from the exams?

It may just have to do with the abundance of technical materials where
were available to me in my past. Or, perhaps it was my interest in all
things technical--but there didn't seem to be that type of mystery, magic
or difficulty involved in electronics or radio ...

Regards,
JS

I think that may very well be the case. I've had occasion to teach ham
radio classes to people who have had little or no math beyond basic
arithmetic. I've taught people who have no technical background or exposure
to electronics or radio. If all you ever had was a general science class,
the ionosphere is a big mystery and so on. There are lots of hams from all
backgrounds and callings. Our club includes members who are truck drivers,
housewives, nurses, waiters, construction workers, etc. as well as
electronic technicians. Maybe you should do as you have said to me: You
need to get out more teasing and tongue in cheek.

Dee, N8UZE

Old January 1st 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:
I think that may very well be the case. I've had occasion to teach ham
radio classes to people who have had little or no math beyond basic
arithmetic. I've taught people who have no technical background or exposure
to electronics or radio. If all you ever had was a general science class,
the ionosphere is a big mystery and so on. There are lots of hams from all
backgrounds and callings. Our club includes members who are truck drivers,
housewives, nurses, waiters, construction workers, etc. as well as
electronic technicians. Maybe you should do as you have said to me: You
need to get out more teasing and tongue in cheek.

Dee, N8UZE

I see math as the smallest barrier to a ham ticket. Simple antenna
calculations are about the most complex an amateur needs; these are only
near the equivalent to what one needs to keep up their financial
affairs, double check their utility bills, measure a room for new
carpeting, etc.

Simple LC calculations, again, only use that same level of math, if say
one wishes to design an antenna tuner, balun, filter, etc.

If you could give me something "absolutely specific", an example,
perhaps I could see what is being suggested here ...

Regards,
JS
Old January 1st 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:
[...]

The difficulties arise in series versus parallel circuits for resistors
versus inductors versus capacitors. They have no trouble with adding the
values of resistors in series as that is logical to the students but the
calculation procedure for resistors in parallel makes no sense to most when
they have no background in electronics. They are able to do the procedure
when you walk them through it. However, the fact that it doesn't make sense
to them makes it difficult to remember the procedure. Then you go to
capacitors and even though the equations are the same, it doesn't make sense
that the series calculation and parallel calculations are the opposite of
what you do with resistors. This is but one example.

Dee, N8UZE

Old January 1st 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:

The difficulties arise in series versus parallel circuits for resistors
versus inductors versus capacitors. They have no trouble with adding the
values of resistors in series as that is logical to the students but the
calculation procedure for resistors in parallel makes no sense to most when
they have no background in electronics. They are able to do the procedure
when you walk them through it. However, the fact that it doesn't make sense
to them makes it difficult to remember the procedure. Then you go to
capacitors and even though the equations are the same, it doesn't make sense
that the series calculation and parallel calculations are the opposite of
what you do with resistors. This is but one example.

Dee, N8UZE

For resistors in series:

R1 + R2 + R3 + ... = R(TOTAL)

For the special case of only two resistors in parallel:

R1 X R2
------- = R(TOTAL)
R1 + R2

general case:

1
----------------- = R(TOTAL)
1 1 1
--- + --- + --- + ...
R1 R2 R3

the above holds for inductance ...
and, as you say, capacitance the reverse ...

Really Dee, did that give you all that many problems? I see nothing
there but basic math.

Seriously, give me an avg. youngster, 8th grade or older, and I will
give you back a youngster capable of all the above ...

Regards,
JS

Old January 1st 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

John Smith I wrote:
For resistors in series:

R1 + R2 + R3 + ... = R(TOTAL)

For the special case of only two resistors in parallel:

R1 X R2
------- = R(TOTAL)
R1 + R2

general case:

1
----------------- = R(TOTAL)
1 1 1
--- + --- + --- + ...
R1 R2 R3

the above holds for inductance ...
and, as you say, capacitance the reverse ...

Really Dee, did that give you all that many problems? I see nothing
there but basic math.

Seriously, give me an avg. youngster, 8th grade or older, and I will
give you back a youngster capable of all the above ...

Regards,
JS

Oh yeah, what would you say to learn ALL of that, 1/2 hour?

JS
Old January 1st 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

John Smith I wrote:
[...]

It gave me no trouble whatsoever. It was a piece of cake compared to
differential calculus, etc.

However it doesn't make sense to a homemaker or secretary. Therefore it
becomes difficult for them to remember how to do it. It's not difficult for
them to do actually just difficult to remember how to do it as they have
nothing to tie it to so to speak.

Dee, N8UZE

Old January 1st 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:
However it doesn't make sense to a homemaker or secretary. Therefore it
becomes difficult for them to remember how to do it. It's not difficult for
them to do actually just difficult to remember how to do it as they have
nothing to tie it to so to speak.

Dee, N8UZE

And, that is why someone should just digest it, study the night before
with their mentor, then reguratate it at the exam ... then quickly
forget it ... if you need it in the future, a quick review and bam! it
is at your disposal.

Regards,
JS
Old January 1st 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

John Smith I wrote:

reguratate = regurgitate

sheepish smile
JS
Old January 2nd 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

For resistors in series:

R1 + R2 + R3 + ... = R(TOTAL)

For the special case of only two resistors in parallel:

R1 X R2
------- = R(TOTAL)
R1 + R2

general case:

1
----------------- = R(TOTAL)
1 1 1
--- + --- + --- + ...
R1 R2 R3

For extra credit, prove that

R1 X R2
------- = R(TOTAL)
R1 + R2

is in fact the same as

1
----------- = R(TOTAL)
1 1
--- + ---
R1 R2

Unless you are a crackerjack math wiz, these equations look totally
different. Another point of confusion.

And the stuff cavemen knew would be stuff a city boy like myself doesn't
have a clue about. How to hunt animals with nothing better than crude
spears and rocks, knowing what plants are safe to eat and what's
poisonous, etc.... Different environments, they didn't need to know
about car insurance.