Old January 30th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Schlecks' Schlock!

On Jan 29, 2:12 pm, wrote:
On 29 Jan 2007 03:45:35 -0800, wrote:

On Jan 29, 12:39 am, Dave Heil wrote:
wrote:
You gotta wonder which of the regulars are/were posting anonymously.
Really hair-brained stuff.

Hair-brained, was it?

Did your mom ever take the "hare brush" to you?

Dave K8MN

Do you think Ed Hare is back, posting anonymously?

could be I supose but not liked unless his once decent sence has
burned out by his working with BPLhttp://kb9rqz.blogspot.com/

I'm supposed to be bowing to Dave's superior ability at splitting
hairs. I can only hope he didn't skin his knee.

Old January 30th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Jan 29, 7:06 pm, "
From: on Sun, Jan 28 2007 7:06 pm

On Jan 28, 8:36 pm, " wrote:
On Jan 28, 11:44 am, John Smith I wrote:
wrote: ...

I'm disturbed that there was little or no discussion, and suddenly we
have a "solution," complete with with a list of moderators that no one
has ever heard of, nevermind that they are all Extras.

After at least three years of some of the total crap
in here had been going on. WHERE were the "powers-that-
be"? Sleeping?

Somehow it is in style to criticize Mark's reactions to Robesin, but A-
OK for Robesin to characterize some people as rapists, homos and
pedo's.

"That darned Mark... Now we're gonna hafto moderate the group..."

The Google folks were unresponsive to
"objectionable posting." They just let it accumulate.

Asleep at the key.

Since every newsgroup was created by humankind, it can
ALSO be "un-created" by humankind. Nobody in power
apparently wanted to delete any group...so very un-liberal
and "anti-democratic" or something.

Like getting something delisted from the endangered species list...

"Oh, we can't impinge on the freedom of speech!" seemed
to be the "Powers" shine-off. No, no, no, NO we can't
remove, halt, or put ANY stoppage on freedom of speech!

What of the massive cross-posting? Vince Fiscus under
his nom-deguerre of "Slow Code" deliberately (and with
malice aforethought) mass-posted to many amateur
newsgroups knowing full well that most browsers would
automatically mass-post replies. Filled up all kinds
of computer mass storage at many ISPs, all with dupes.

"At's OK. His heart was in the right place..."

Had this been a BBS or BBS network, the offenders would
have been summarily yanked, terminated without prejudice,
and the blessed freedom-of-speech WOULD HAVE CONTINUED,
but without troublemakers. I've seen that done, been a
party to it in a few cases. Free speech went on.
Ordinary folk could tell the difference between real
freedom and deliberate one-sidedness overlaid by
arrogant self-defined "superiority."

"Know Code VS No Code"

No collitsch degrease needed to tell the difference.
But, here we have the academia nuts telling us they
all but invented "moderating." :-( Then we've got
a bunch of "movers and shakers" recently listed which
all but says out loud they "made it all possible."

I thought Coslo was going to make it all possible with his BBS?

Pfooey, a decade before the Internet went public there
were BBSs and BBS nets with amateur radio "pubs"
(public boards, common name of what are called
"newsgroups" now) in the USA, a few interconnecting
with other continents. Wasn't my cuppa but I knew of
them, looked in a few. Some of those conversations
got wild and wooly but outright miscreants, filth-
spouters, and attempted take-over artists were
summarily deleted. Gone. Fini. Full thirty.

Not to worry now. We have the "third RFD" in progress.
By the time of the eleventh (when, in 2011?) there
might - finally - be a decision. The "moderated
group" may then become a reality. This is JUST LIKE
some of those "study groups" on local government
projects where a "study" might as for an "action
committee" to be formed, which then leads to another
"study group" be formed to "study" the problem. :-(

Idiocy in action...with "credentials."

LA

They'll be back once they get sick of themselves.

Old January 30th 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Jan 29, 3:36 pm, "KC4UAI" wrote:
On Jan 28, 4:09 pm, wrote:

...Many Extras consider themselves Einsteins...

They are not.

Yea, I would agree.. We are not above average as a group....

Personally, I took the test expecting to fail, having just taken the
General to upgrade my Tech Plus. I figured, what the heck? It didn't
cost anymore to try and I had studied some. I didn't think I was
ready, but I passed so here I am, lucky to be an Extra in my
estimation.

So, do I consider myself an expert in all things Ham Radio by virtue
of my license class? Nope, I got a lot to learn and I'm sure there
are some folks out there who have a boat load more practical
experience than I, but have less privileges. The two Elmers who are
largely responsible for me getting my original license among them.
Thanks guys! (WB0WMP, K4GRW )

-= Bob =-

Fair enough.

Old January 30th 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Jan 29, 4:33 pm, "KH6HZ" wrote:
"KC4UAI" wrote:
So, do I consider myself an expert in all things Ham Radio by
virtue of my license class? Nope

Oddly enough, virtually all the "extras" I met during my tenure as a
"non-extra" didn't consider themselves Einsteins either. Now that I'm an
Extra, I do not consider myself an Einstein either.

It seems that only a small subset of hams (and non-hams) who post to this
forum seem to run into these self-proclaimed Einstein Extras.

But then, if you read their postings long enough, you'll begin to understand
that this bias towards Extras really isn't due to the fact these extras are
self-proclaimed Einsteins, but rather the fact that these Extras passed a
20wpm code test at one point or another.

73
kh6hz

Not at all. Your 20WPM code tape Extra License is irrelevant.

When certain Extras tell me how to conduct my amateur life all the
while scarfing up a bunch of "club" calls, DX calls, and vanity calls,
then I see them as thinking they are somehow much more priveleged than
the next guy, AKA they're smarter than everyone else because they "Got
Over on The Man!"

When a Coast Guard Extra Lecturer aids and abets the scarfing up and
grabs one for himself, I have a problem with that, too.

It's just a case of people telling others what to do while being
inconsistent in their own lives... So get over yourselves.

Old January 30th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"KC4UAI" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 28, 4:09 pm, wrote:
...Many Extras consider themselves Einsteins...

They are not.

Yea, I would agree.. We are not above average as a group....

Personally, I took the test expecting to fail, having just taken the
General to upgrade my Tech Plus. I figured, what the heck? It didn't
cost anymore to try and I had studied some. I didn't think I was
ready, but I passed so here I am, lucky to be an Extra in my
estimation.

So, do I consider myself an expert in all things Ham Radio by virtue
of my license class? Nope, I got a lot to learn and I'm sure there
are some folks out there who have a boat load more practical
experience than I, but have less privileges. The two Elmers who are
largely responsible for me getting my original license among them.
Thanks guys! (WB0WMP, K4GRW )

-= Bob =-

Nothing wrong with that. For many years, our club satellite "guru" and our
club VHF/UHF "guru" were Technician's or Tech Pluses. The VHF/UHF guy had
been a Tech Plus for over 10 years. Everyone in the club (as far as I know)
respected their expertise in these areas. In the last couple of years
they've both upgraded to General and then Extra.

Dee, N8UZE

Old January 30th 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"KH6HZ" wrote in message
"KC4UAI" wrote:

So, do I consider myself an expert in all things Ham Radio by
virtue of my license class? Nope

Oddly enough, virtually all the "extras" I met during my tenure as a
"non-extra" didn't consider themselves Einsteins either. Now that I'm an
Extra, I do not consider myself an Einstein either.

It seems that only a small subset of hams (and non-hams) who post to this
forum seem to run into these self-proclaimed Einstein Extras.

But then, if you read their postings long enough, you'll begin to
understand that this bias towards Extras really isn't due to the fact
these extras are self-proclaimed Einsteins, but rather the fact that these
Extras passed a 20wpm code test at one point or another.

73
kh6hz

I believe the bias goes even deeper. Even if code were not an issue, that
bias would still exist simply because the Extra has met a higher written
requirement too. In today's society, it seems to be politically incorrect
to have acquired more knowledge than someone else.

Dee, N8UZE

Old January 30th 07, 11:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"an old friend" spewed forth the following excrement:

please stop the flowing of of the Bull****

If I knew of a way to shut off your ISP, I would.